Man detained and harassed at airport for carrying CASH!

http://www.fear.org/s1701.html

Mr. SESSIONS (for himself, Mr. SCHUMER, Mr. THURMOND, Mr. BIDEN, Mrs. FEINSTEIN, Mr. HELMS, and Mr. CLELAND) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

https://www.oig.lsc.gov/legis/pl106185.pdf

It was put out there by the DEMS!

Sessions (R)/Schumer (D) Bill

It was overwhelmingly passed in a bipartisan vote.

Finger pointing wont work for either "team" on this one.

Looking at this bill and the proposed bills in '97 and '99, these are REFORM acts, aimed at curtailing these seizures that were going on at all different levels.

Anyone know of any federal legislation that directed these seizures ? It looks like this was a bipartisan effort to stop this stuff at local and state levels.

I can't find any Federal legislation that started these seizures. I see tons of state legislation about seizures which was the exact reason for the Federal Reform act.

The closest thing to giving the Feds this power is the Patriot Act.

I was wrong, the original law was created in 1984. Under Reagan. ( of course his Congress was Democrats). And has changed several times since.

Hyde managed to in 2000 to finally get a coalition to create the reform act. Which by the way does not go far enough, still allowing seizures and still requiring the victims to prove they are not criminals.

Here is a link to a story about it.

frontline: drug wars: special reports: reining in forfeiture | PBS

By the way CAFRA was a union of Republican and Democrat to try and change bad law. Even that turd Barney Frank signed on to it.

It took Hyde from 96 to 2000 to get it passed though.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So Congress actually tried to do something right.

Heh ... who knew that could happen!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just so you get the point dumb ass, Hyde championed this and it took over 4 years to get passed. The democrats came on board because by the late 90's the horror stories of the DEA and local authorities seizing peoples property were becoming a negative.

And then it got watered down in order to even be passed.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just so you get the point dumb ass, Hyde championed this and it took over 4 years to get passed. The democrats came on board because by the late 90's the horror stories of the DEA and local authorities seizing peoples property were becoming a negative.

And then it got watered down in order to even be passed.

I find it pretty funny that you are calling me a dumbass after the way you knee jerked by pinning this on Clinton when it was his holiness Reagan who signed it into law.

But by all means, please, continue your partisan crusade.

I have heard of people getting their money taking away when they are booked into jail, for no reason. When I got arrested the officer asked me if the $26 I had was drug money.
Man we sure are winning the war on drugs!

I have heard of people getting their money taking away when they are booked into jail, for no reason. When I got arrested the officer asked me if the $26 I had was drug money.

lol ...

"You got me officer, I've been at it all day selling $2 bags of weed to elementary school kids."

lol ...

"You got me officer, I've been at it all day selling $2 bags of weed to elementary school kids."
since I was drunk and stoned at the time I replied, " Yeah! I am some columbian drug lord." I stripped searched that night and when I think about it well just imagine the crying game.

Seems to me that FOX News doesn't have its act together on this story. IF the officers who detained Bierfeldt were armed, then they were not TSA agents. TSA screeners are not armed, they are not law enforcement officers, they are not authorized to carry weapons. Seems to me that Bierfeldt was detained by St. Louis police officers and/or airport police officers. In other words, this is a state issue since the state of Missouri commissioned these peace officers. Unfortunately, we don't know the actual facts because all we have to go on is an audio clip.

There are several issues here. Carrying cash is NOT illegal. However, carrying LARGE amounts of cash MAY be indicative of some sort of illegal activity such as drug smuggling. If booked on an international flight, anything over $10,000 has to be declared. I think TSA's role in this was simply nothing more than identifying that a passenger had a suspicious amount of cash and then referring that passenger to law enforcement for resolution. TSA's job is NOT to determine whether a passenger is smuggling drugs, intentionally failing to declare the $10k on international travel, etc. However, it IS the responsibility of law enforcement to determine whether or not there is enough to indicate that a crime has been, is being or will be committed.

Bierfeldt certainly didn't help himself by acting like a smart alec. Legally, he is not obligated to answer any questions. However, he must certainly understand that his behavior and response to questions only served to heighten police officer suspicions. It's the same as being inside a parked car in front of a bank after business hours and being confrontational with a police officer when asked about it. Sure it's legal to park on a public street, and there is nothing suspicious about sitting inside a car. However, in the police officer's mind, he has to determine if the individual is casing the bank, if there's someone already inside the bank and this guy's the getaway driver, etc. There was an opportunity to simply come clean with a logical explanation but Bierfeldt acted in an uncooperative manner based on his principles of constitutional rights. And there's nothing wrong with that! He most certainly has that right. However, he shouldn't be surprised that this only heightened the police officers' suspicions.

And the police officers should have acted more professionally. Nothing wrong with what they said nor how they said it; but using abusive language and trying to intimidate a passenger who, up to this point, hasn't really displayed any real criminal behavior (have to assume that an NCIC check was being run or had already been run, etc.), only weakens their position and makes them come across clearly as portrayed by FOX News: a bunch of goons and Nazis.

They sounded very unprofessional and smart assed! All the guy wanted to know was if he was legally obligated to answer the question. And I could be wrong but I thought the government questions money transactions of ten grand or more. $4700 dollars is not that much money.

Just one MORE example of how they have used the WAR on DRUGS as their smokescreen for power and control of the population, folks.

They obviously don't really give a damn about ending drug use.

But ~ my oh my! ~, how the laws they've passed behind that anti-drug rationalization work to give your government power to intrude into YOUR lives even though most of you have nothing whatever to do with drugs.

You people who support these stupid War on Drugs policy are working to forge the chains they ALREADY have on your freedoms.

Ironically most of you who would punish stoners actually believe that you are patriots who love freedom, too.

But, If they can legall7 come for the stoners in the morning?

They'll come for you at night.

WAKE up and smell the tyranny, folks.

Last edited:
What are you going to say when they come for your Bible ?

That's the question I usually aske people to ask themselves.

Forum List

Back