Man Crashes Ferrari Enzo - Disappears

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I have to admit - a little tear came to my eye when I saw the video on the link. Racing a Mercedes SLR. First, street racing is incredibly stupid.

But an Enzo and a SLR. I would like to see that....on a track of course.....

------

A car belonging to a Swedish game industry mogul slammed into a pole during a high-speed street race on Tuesday, reducing it to scrap metal, US police said.

Police in the plush Los Angeles district of Malibu said the 2003 Ferrari Enzo, only 399 of which were ever made, was owned by Stefan Eriksson, 44, a controversial former executive of the failed handheld gaming company Gizmondo.

The driver lost control of the Ferrari at around dawn when it careened up an embankment, likely became airborne and then slammed into a pole, slicing the slicing the vehicle in half, police said.

Eriksson, who was slightly injured in the crash, told police he was a passenger in the vehicle and that the driver was a German man called Dietrich who had fled the scene, Los Angeles Sheriff's Department Sergeant Philip Brooks told AFP.

"Whoever was driving the Ferrari and a Mercedes came out to Malibu for a little race," Sheriff's Department Sergeant Philip Brooks said. "The other car racing was a ($500 000) SLR Mercedes," he said.

Eriksson had a blood-alcohol level of 0.09, which is above the legal limit, Brooks said, adding that nobody had been arrested in connection with the crash but that officers were still seeking to identify the driver of the car.

"He's still considered as the passenger," Brooks said of Eriksson. "We're continuing our investigation. He's not in custody."

The red Ferrari Enzo, other examples of which are owned by such high-flyers as Oscar-winning movie star Nicolas Cage and US fashion designer Tommy Hilfiger, was speeding at more than 192km/h when the crash occurred, Brooks said.

The impact sheared the red Italian sports car in two, separating the entire front section from the rest of the vehicle. The 650 horsepower car had a top speed of more than 360km/h.

"For a million dollars, you get a very good passenger-safety system, and apparently, in this case, it did work," Brooks said.

Police determined that Eriksson was once an executive of the video game industry firm Gizmondo.

"He told us he is or was the head of Gizmondo," Brooks said, adding also that Eriksson had previously professionally raced Ferraris in Europe.

Internet records show that Eriksson was the executive officer of Gizmondo Europe - a unit of a US company Tiger Telematics - which developed games and a high-tech gaming console.

British press reports said Eriksson resigned in October last year after a Swedish newspaper claimed he was convicted in Sweden in the early 1990s for alleged involvement with a Swedish mafia outfit.

The company filed for bankruptcy in Britain last month after reporting a net loss of $225m for the third quarter of 2005.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1885977,00.html

Video - http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_052110615.html

Ferrari Enzo -

Ferrari-Enzo-Doors-Open-Front-Angle-Track.jpg

I love how at the end they say it's a safe car. That accident proves nothing as to the car's safety. It proves they were lucky they hit the pole behind the driver's seat.

Another case of a megawealthy thinking that buys him skill. Idiot.

<i>**giggles because "Cars" just came on the radio as I finished reading this**</i>

"Here in my car, I feel safest of all..."

That is a good passenger safety sytem when the car be shorn in two and the driver can still flee and the passenger is only slightly injured. How does that system work?

rtwngAvngr said:
That is a good passenger safety sytem when the car be shorn in two and the driver can still flee and the passenger is only slightly injured. How does that system work?

They copied much of the design from Formula 1 race cars. They are meant to "shear" apart when a crash happens. Driver protection is number one priority. I have seen horrendous F1 crashes where there is nothing left but the cage surrounding the driver; and he walks away with only sore muscles.

Shattered said:
<i>**giggles because "Cars" just came on the radio as I finished reading this**</i>

"Here in my car, I feel safest of all..."

Way old song....must be at least...what ... 47 years old?

GotZoom said:
Way old song....must be at least...what ... 47 years old?

Damn close..but it seems to be still holding on... :cof:

My grandpa was killed when a drag racer lost control of his car. My grandpa was showing the neighbor boy how to change the oil in his car in the driveway when a racer went off the road and hit the car. Squashed my grandpa between the two cars parked in the driveway.

Racers suck.

mom4 said:
My grandpa was killed when a drag racer lost control of his car. My grandpa was showing the neighbor boy how to change the oil in his car in the driveway when a racer went off the road and hit the car. Squashed my grandpa between the two cars parked in the driveway.

Racers suck.

I'm so sorry.

Races do suck. Large time.

Nearly every time I am out, I get some kid (kids) trying to get me into it.

I just laugh at them.

GotZoom said:
I'm so sorry.

Races do suck. Large time.

Nearly every time I am out, I get some kid (kids) trying to get me into it.

I just laugh at them.
It's fun to trick them into launching, and then laughing at them pulled over a half mile up the street because they didn't know about the speed trap you know about.

The ClayTaurus said:
It's fun to trick them into launching, and then laughing at them pulled over a half mile up the street because they didn't know about the speed trap you know about.

(I wasn't going to mention that, but..yeah...it is...)

I remember in Arizona they passed an "Idiot Tax".....whenever some idiot decides to try to cross a floodwash and gets stuck, they get fined extra for the rescue. It started shortly after Hummers became so popular there, and idiots with hummers think for some reason their vehicle can pass through flashfloods. One of the few taxes I agree with :halo:

theHawk said:
I remember in Arizona they passed an "Idiot Tax".....whenever some idiot decides to try to cross a floodwash and gets stuck, they get fined extra for the rescue. It started shortly after Hummers became so popular there, and idiots with hummers think for some reason their vehicle can pass through flashfloods. One of the few taxes I agree with :halo:
Idiot or stupidity tax is fantastic. It's like financial natural selection.

theHawk said:

We have one much like that for rock climbers...

Forum List

Back