Man buys Chevy Pickup for $75 and drives it for 38 years

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Man Buys Pickup for 75 Drives It for 38 Years Plus - Yahoo Autos

Back in 1976 when Bob Sportel was 24, he bought a used, rusting 1957 half-ton Chevy pickup for $75 because he needed a way to get to work. He just retired from his job after 38 years — driving the same truck

Sportel has applied several layers of duct tape to the truck’s upholstery. Bondo holds the front lights in place, and rust holes provide portholes to the truck’s underside. He guesstimates the truck has more than 300,000 miles on it because the odometer hasn’t worked since he bought it. And, in spite of his wife’s pleas, he has no plans to replace it

Same-Truck-38-Years-Photo.jpg

Last edited:
Man Buys Pickup for 75 Drives It for 38 Years Plus - Yahoo Autos

Back in 1976 when Bob Sportel was 24, he bought a used, rusting 1957 half-ton Chevy pickup for $75 because he needed a way to get to work. He just retired from his job after 38 years — driving the same truck

Sportel has applied several layers of duct tape to the truck’s upholstery. Bondo holds the front lights in place, and rust holes provide portholes to the truck’s underside. He guesstimates the truck has more than 300,000 miles on it because the odometer hasn’t worked since he bought it. And, in spite of his wife’s pleas, he has no plans to replace it

Same-Truck-38-Years-Photo.jpg

good story

my first ride was a 60 chevy half ton 3 on the tree

25 bucks and on the condition i would give the neighbor couple

a ride to town every Saturday to pick up the weekly newspaper

Why get rid of reliable transportation that you enjoy? For a CD player? GPS? It aint worth it.

My truck is 15 this year. Getting kinda rusty but still runs. Wife wishes I would buy a new truck but I am happy.

My truck is 15 this year. Getting kinda rusty but still runs. Wife wishes I would buy a new truck but I am happy.
My truck is 17 this year, I'm thinking about trading it in on an older more reliable truck.

Could be a great public relations story for Chevy Trucks

Chevy should offer to take the truck and return it to 1957 condition

6a00d83451b3c669e2017ee3ffa743970d-pi

There was a woman on the news a few years ago that had been driving the same car to work since she bought it new in the early 60's. There was a jillion miles on the car and it was still running great.

Her secret was to always buy any repair or replacement parts with a Life Time Warranty.

So practically everything on the car was now under free lifetime replacement......battery, shocks, starter, water pump, mufflers, breaks, rotors, transmission, etc.

In other words, her maintenance cost for the car was basically zero. ...... :cool:

Forum List

Back