Man arrested outside Asheville airport as Obama leaves

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Police began questioning McVey after noticing his car's Ohio license plate and other equipment, including a digital camera on the dashboard and four large antennas on the trunk lid, according to the case summary.
McVey got out of the car and started talking on a handheld radio attached to a remote earpiece, and the officer noticed he was wearing a sidearm. The officer and Secret Service agents asked for McVey's identification, and when they ran his driver's license number through a computer, it did not come back as valid, according to the summary.
When the officer asked what he was doing, McVey stated “he heard the president was in town. He stated he wanted to see the president,” according to the summary.
Officers removed McVey's Springfield XD 40 handgun and detained him.
While searching his Pontiac Grand Prix, investigators heard police department radio traffic, “indicating he was monitoring our frequency when he arrived.” Officers also found a siren box under his steering wheel, several pieces of paper with agency radio frequencies written on them and a sticky note in the cup holder with rifle scope formulas on them, according to the case summary.

Armed man arrested outside Asheville airport as Obama leaves | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

He looks vewy scawy!!
bilde

I was unaware that having an Ohio liscense plate made you a suspicious character for the police to be concerned about.

Anyone see a difference between Probable Cause and a Reasonable Suspicion in this little story?

There is plenty of difference. But Im not sure how having an Ohio liscense plate gives them a reasonable suspicion.

Uncommon. Yes. But suspicious?

Of course you right-wing morons are defending the guy. The guy was fucking suspcicious with all of the radio scanners, a handgun, digital camera on his window, etc. That's fucking SCARY!

Of course you right-wing morons are defending the guy. The guy was fucking suspcicious with all of the radio scanners, a handgun, digital camera on his window, etc. That's fucking SCARY!

Not suspicious at all. Obviously he was on his way to a Tea Party meeting, don't they all come so equiped?

Unfortunate last name.

That's what I thought. Clearly, the McVeigh/MVey clan are a dangerous bunch who need to be rounded up and sent for re-education.
This one did not get mistreated. I'm quite sure that anyone that shows up at the airport in a car outfitted like a cop car to see Obama, or any president, should be under scrutiny.

Sad that not everyone agrees.

Unfortunate last name.

That's what I thought. Clearly, the McVeigh/MVey clan are a dangerous bunch who need to be rounded up and sent for re-education.
This one did not get mistreated. I'm quite sure that anyone that shows up at the airport in a car outfitted like a cop car to see Obama, or any president, should be under scrutiny.

Sad that not everyone agrees.

Sorry but none of those things are illegal. He made no effort to ENTER the airport so the weapon is not even illegal.

'I swear, I just wanted to give the President this gun!' 'Well, what about the fake police car and rifle formulas?' 'Those were planted by a left-wing person trying to frame me!! I just wanted to see the President!' Ok, I'm done :p.

Funny how some on the right think no one should be detained when carrying a gun near the president but that its fine to stop people for walking while brown in Arizona.

More on this story:
A variety of social networking and personal Web sites also show that Joseph Sean McVey is a HAM radio enthusiast.

On policelink.monster.com, McVey wrote that his hobbies include “shooting, fishing, hunting, piano, trumpet (and) voice.”

McVey, a resident of Coshocton, Ohio, graduated from West Liberty University in July 2009, according to a Web site he created listing himself as a sound engineer. The school has about 2,600 students and is located about an hour southwest of Pittsburgh.

He majored in music technology, according to his Myspace profile, which also lists him as a HAM radio operator with the call sign K8JSM. According to a post by McVey on qrz.com, a HAM radio-oriented Web site, he goes by his middle name, Sean.

On Sunday, an Asheville airport police officer noticed large antennas on McVey’s vehicle as he sat near an airport runway.

“Generally my antennas sit at the bottom of the rear windshield, on the front lip of my trunk, and this provides for some directionality towards the front of the vehicle,” McVey wrote on qrz.com. “This enables me to help increase signal strength when necessary.”

McVey’s sites indicate he may be a member of SKYWARN, a National Weather Service program that calls on citizens to report severe weather.

On Friday, he posted two “tweets” from Limestone, N.C., on his Twitter account. Limestone is a small town about 25 minutes south of Asheville .

McVey posted three tweets additional tweets before he was arrested, the last, which he posted on Saturday, citing a CNN warning of tornado watches in multiple states.

His Xanga profile page, last updated in 2006, lists his birthday as April 16, 1987.

In 2007, McVey posted a blog on his Myspace profile that said he got a job working “as IntelliTarget Marketing. (Verifying addresses on magazine subscriptions and, soon, political ‘advertising’ for the One Million Republicans, a new Republican group postered by former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay).”

Other blogs describe girl troubles and his frustrations surrounding his efforts to become a good pianist. He hasn’t posted a new blog since 2008.
More: Internet sites reveal more about Ohio man arrested at Asheville airport | citizen-times.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

New Topics

Forum List

Back