Man arrested for wearing anti-war shirt?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Steerpike, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
  2. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The same things have been happening in UpState NY too. The whole thing is Bullshit. Freedom of speech is dead.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Freedom of Speech has never applied to private entities, so how is it dead exactly?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Wrong, you do NOT have the right to violate the rules and bylaws of PRIVATE enterprise.

5. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    That is the problem. Freedom of speech is guaranteed in the Constitution, and yet private businesses create policies that supercede the Constitution and facilitate trumped up charges.

This is not the only way that private enterprise has violated our rights. This all stems back to lawyers arguing that a corporation has individual rights. Now those rights are more important than the rights of humans.

It is sickening.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The free speech in the first amendment has never, since the beginning of the country, applied to private businesses.

Private businesses do not "supercede" the Constitution because the Constitution only applies to Government to begin with.

7. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    The right to freedom of speech is a right, not licence. Any right is circumscribed or it is simply licence.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The stricture is on Congress, not individuals.

In this example the man was on private premises and the landowner exercised their right to eject anyone they don't want on the premises. You won't be able to come into my house to try and give me a lecture on religion or right wing politics, I'll ask you to leave.

This isn't about freedom of speech.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    We are not talking about a Country Club or even a restaurant. We are talking about a mall; a series of stores within a single building. Malls have such a lax dress code that one can say it is non-existant. I can wear a shirt that says anything except for slogans that are derogatory towards Bush, 9/11 & the Wars in Iraq & Afghanistan.

Seriously, one can wear a shirt that depicts scenes of sacrilegious activities, but not anti-war slogans.

This is wrong. These malls are groups of stores. The shoppers are consumers. Where do we draw the line? After private businesses have privatized everything and it is too late?

Soon there will be a tier system for Internet connectivity. This will open the door to serious infringements of speech. Elections have been privatized. It will not be long before political expression will be banned at election booths too.

Freedom of speech should super-cede private industry. Not the other way around.

9. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Actually, it is. If I come to your house and I lecture you, you can ask me to leave and that does not violate my freedom of speech. If I come to your house and lecture you and you have me arrested for tresspassing...that is a violation of my rights as I have not broken a law...the law was used to intimidate me.

And now we are talking about free speech zones, i.e. private businesses are off limits and one must seek free speech areas. In case you did not realize, we are surrounded by private property.

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You only get to enjoy freedom of speech as long as you are not encroaching upon the rights of others while enjoying it.

So...we have the right to privately own property. You can enjoy freedom of speech while on your property, or public property...but not on my property, if I decide it is so.

Employers and land owners have rights, too. You can't force us to listen or look at garbage we don't want to...on our own land/in our own businesses.