Man arrested 4 carrying Ammonium Nitrate near Pentagon

Wolfmoon

U B U & I'll B Me 4 USA!
Jan 15, 2009
PROUD, USA
See any red flags?

June 17, 2011

An Ethiopian-born man was arrested for carrying a backpack with “suspicious items and products” at the Arlington National Cemetery.

“Yonathan Melaku, 22, a naturalized U.S. citizen was arrested Friday around 1:30 a.m. on suspicion of trespassing. The FBI said he was carrying "items which caused initial concerns about the public's safety.”

Melaku is a Marine Corps reservist lance corporal who is Muslim, remains in the custody. Charges have not been filed. He ran from the police but was caught then he told officers that his backpack was full of bomb making materials, “including ammonium nitrate, a compound used as a fertilizer and as a component of explosives.”

Also, in his backpack was a notebook containing threatening phrases like "Al Qaeda," "Taliban rule" and "defeated coalition forces."
The backpack contained five pounds of supposedly ammonium nitrate although testing came back negative. Further testing will be done.

Melaku joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2007. He has been awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal. “He is currently listed as a motor vehicle operator with Combat Engineer Support Company, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, according to the FBI.” Melaku resides in Alexandria, Va.

Suspect in Custody for 'Suspicious' Backpack Is Marine Corps Reservist
Pentagon on alert after Marine arrested at Arlington National Cemetery
Man Suspected of Carrying Ammonium Nitrate in Backpack Taken into Custody near Pentagon

See any red flags?

June 17, 2011

An Ethiopian-born man was arrested for carrying a backpack with “suspicious items and products” at the Arlington National Cemetery.

“Yonathan Melaku, 22, a naturalized U.S. citizen was arrested Friday around 1:30 a.m. on suspicion of trespassing. The FBI said he was carrying "items which caused initial concerns about the public's safety.”

Melaku is a Marine Corps reservist lance corporal who is Muslim, remains in the custody. Charges have not been filed. He ran from the police but was caught then he told officers that his backpack was full of bomb making materials, “including ammonium nitrate, a compound used as a fertilizer and as a component of explosives.”

Also, in his backpack was a notebook containing threatening phrases like "Al Qaeda," "Taliban rule" and "defeated coalition forces."
The backpack contained five pounds of supposedly ammonium nitrate although testing came back negative. Further testing will be done.

Melaku joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2007. He has been awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal. “He is currently listed as a motor vehicle operator with Combat Engineer Support Company, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, according to the FBI.” Melaku resides in Alexandria, Va.

Man Suspected of Carrying Ammonium Nitrate in Backpack Taken into Custody near Pentagon

I find this a little strange buddy, the story that is.

Am I missing something here? The backpack contained 5 pounds of supposedly nitrate? But the testing came back negative? :razz:

Then it never contained it to begin with. What if he told them that he had a few sticks of dynamite, but they turned out to be a package of hotdogs after testing. Would the backpack still have supposedly contained dynamite? Would there be further testing on the hotdogs or not? :confused:

Know what I think? It sounds like a load of bullshit. Their story that is. ~BH

See any red flags?

June 17, 2011

Am I missing something here? The backpack contained 5 pounds of supposedly nitrate? But the testing came back negative? :razz:

Then it never contained it to begin with. What if he told them that he had a few sticks of dynamite, but they turned out to be a package of hotdogs after testing. Would the backpack still have supposedly contained dynamite? Would there be further testing on the hotdogs or not? :confused:

It says supposedly, because the person with the backpack made the claim.

The real question is how can we stop this? Maybe we should pass laws that only second or even third generation immigrants can serve in the military or hold public office.

The real question is how can we stop this? Maybe we should pass laws that only second or even third generation immigrants can serve in the military or hold public office.

His being an immigrant isn't the problem, his being a Muslim is. We should bar all Muslims from immigrating to the US. We should expell all Muslims that are not citizens and we should remove religious status from all Muslim sites in this Country.

80 percent of Mosques in this country preach hate and Jihad. The 1st amendment does not protect religions that break the laws of the land.

His being an immigrant isn't the problem, his being a Muslim is. We should bar all Muslims from immigrating to the US. We should expell all Muslims that are not citizens and we should remove religious status from all Muslim sites in this Country.

80 percent of Mosques in this country preach hate and Jihad. The 1st amendment does not protect religions that break the laws of the land.

Can you cite the source for the "80 percent"?

Can you cite the source for the "80 percent"?

Already provided in another thread, it has stayed stead at 80 percent for several years.

In 2010 the current population in the United States was 308,745,538 according to the census bureau. In 2009 Pew Research reported that in America there was a 2.5 million Muslim population. That is 0.8% of the U.S. population.

A 2007 Pew Research report, reported that 23% of Muslims are illegal aliens. In the same study they said that 78% of Americans are concerned about Islamic extremist in the U.S. The study also said that younger U.S. Muslims are more readily accepted suicide bombing in defense of Islam that older Muslims.

Source:

Pew Research Center
“Muslim Americans MIDDLE CLASS AND MOSTLY MAINSTREAM”

Page 47
23% of Muslims in America are not U.S. Citizens.

Page 53
The American population as a whole is somewhat more concerned about Islamic extremism in the U.S. than are Muslim Americans: 78% of the public say they are very or somewhat concerned about Islamic extremism at home.

Page 53
Younger Muslims in the U.S. are more willing to accept suicide bombing in defense of Islam than are their older counterparts.

Page 53 – 54
Can suicide bombing be Justified?
Younger Muslims in the U.S. are more willing to accept suicide bombing in defense of Islam than are their older counterparts. Among Muslims younger than 30, for example 15% say that suicide bombing can often or sometimes be justified (2% often, 13% sometimes)

Page 54
Muslims in the U.S. have a very (1%) or somewhat (4%) favorable view of al Qaeda.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that there are 2.5 million Muslims in the United States and 23% are not U.S. citizens and our government doesn't find that alarming. There were only 19 terrorist that took down the twin towers.

There are 575,000 illegal alien Muslims in the country. Are these illegal alien Muslims some of the 4% that have a favorable view of al Qaeda?

How did they get here? Well, we know for an absolute fact that many came across the Southern border with Mexican human smugglers and some have over stayed their visas.

We need to close the Southern border and deport all illegal aliens! Get a Spine American and Demand it!!!

What do you do with the muslims who are serving now. You know, spilling blood for this country for people like you who want them booted out of the country.

And what type of muslim servicemember should be kicked out? Bosnian muslims? Black muslims? Which ones?

Fucking idiot.

Last edited:

What do you do with the muslims who are serving now. You know, spilling blood for this country for people like you who want them booted out of the country.

And what type of muslim servicemember should be kicked out? Bosnian muslims? Black muslims? Which ones?

Fucking idiot.

IMO, most American's are pretty fed up with radical Muslims trying to blow up people in our streets. Defending them only makes Americans angrier. Its obvious Muslims aren't going to take care of this problem themselves so they might need a little American intervention.

We should put TSA on every street corner, you know just to be safe. I bet the government would be willing to do that.

Hmmmmmm....... Muslim?
Interesting.
No big deal if he was a Roman Catholic I guess.

Yes, it would be a big deal if he was Roman Catholic or any other religion. At this point in time it's only the Muslims that want to blow up America. We have to take it case by case. Right now, we have a problem of Muslims trying to set off bombs and blow up women and children. It's the Muslims in the military who are killing American soldiers. We don't have too much of a Roman Catholic problem with them trying to blow up Americans and the U.S. infrastructure.

We should put TSA on every street corner, you know just to be safe. I bet the government would be willing to do that.

I really dread to think of everyone on camera 100% of the time. In London they have cameras everywhere because they have a Muslim problem.

The government is driving this force of terror in the streets of America so they can put camera's everywhere and take away America’s rights. It’s the government who refuses to close the border or deport illegal alien Muslim or any other peoples who are illegally in the country.

Just to let you know the Muslims know how to work the system for education and social services and it’s the good old taxpayers who are paying for it.

Last edited:
See any red flags?

June 17, 2011

It says supposedly, because the person with the backpack made the claim.

I understand that buddy. However I do have a big fucking problem with the "further testing will be done" part. Why? Does a future test mean that somehow it will turn out positive after they frame the guy? I dunno. I think they got it right the first time.

I also got an even bigger problem with this here too.

Melaku is a Marine Corps reservist lance corporal who is Muslim, remains in the custody. Charges have not been filed.

No charges filed, yet he remains in custody? This is ok with you as a freedom loving American that I am assuming that you are? Check out who this guy is.

Melaku joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2007. He has been awarded the National Defense Service Medal and the Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal. He is currently listed as a motor vehicle operator with Combat Engineer Support Company, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, according to the FBI.” Melaku resides in Alexandria, Va.

Wow! So we lock up folks who have served our Country and have won medals with no charges whatsofuckingever? What was he gonna do, blow up a Head stone in Arlington?

Look bro, I like Wolfmoon's posts, so this has nothing to do with him personally. However, Anyone who supports locking a person up who has served our country with no charges whatsoever is a fucking anti-Constitutional slave. This is wrong. ~BH

I'm all for Due Process and if the little bugger was high on drugs and alcohol that will come out. If he was completely straight that’ll come out too. I want him tried in a court of law to find out just what he was thinking and what he was up to.

Since, the guy told police officers he had bomb making materials in his back pack and I think he told them he had them in his car too.

That makes him different from a regular criminal. It makes him an "Enemy Combatant." At that status they FBI will make you disappear without an opportunity to hire a lawyer. No writ of habeas corpus for you.

I'm not perfect and I get really angry at Muslims who think they can just come to America and behead their wives and kill their children and call it Honor killings and try to set off car bombs on American streets. I think after 9/11 a lot of Americans look at Muslims with one eye.

I have read a lot about their religion and it’s just really messed up! Their bible the Koran teaches them to kill the infidels who are us, without remorse. The Koran says, they should use every tactic available to killing us including lying. They all study and believe the same Koran for the last 800 years unchanged. Now, I have a problem with that as, many Americans would.

Actually it's a textbook example of very bad reporting.

Forum List

Back