Mammal-Like Reptile Teeth Uncovered in Japan

R

rdean

In Kuwajima, Japan, researchers unearthed a plethora of fossils from the Cretaceous period. Dinosaurs, reptiles, plants, mammals, and fish were all represented in the haul. But peppered throughout the geologic layer, scientists also found more than 250 teeth from a creature that represented an evolutionary link between reptiles and mammals.

TEETH.jpg

Our knowledge of evolution grows more every day.

In Kuwajima, Japan, researchers unearthed a plethora of fossils from the Cretaceous period. Dinosaurs, reptiles, plants, mammals, and fish were all represented in the haul. But peppered throughout the geologic layer, scientists also found more than 250 teeth from a creature that represented an evolutionary link between reptiles and mammals.

TEETH.jpg

This is very interesting. They found some teeth, etc. Some scientists can study this and form hypotheses. It'll be fun to follow. However, I think a drawing of a reptile with fur as a missing link symbol may be jumping the gun.

TEETH.jpg

This is very interesting. They found some teeth, etc. Some scientists can study this and form hypotheses. It'll be fun to follow. However, I think a drawing of a reptile with fur as a missing link symbol may be jumping the gun.
Tentative dating of the Kuwajima Formation to the Barremian–Aptian makes it the stratigraphically youngest representative of a long-lived, globally distributed and abundant mammaliamorph lineage and extends the known geographic range of tritylodontids.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
A new Early Cretaceous tritylodontid (Synapsida, Cynodontia, Mammaliamorpha) from the Kuwajima Formation (Tetori Group) of central Japan

Get it? Globally distributed? Why say something as ignorant as "they found some teeth" when it's easy to spend two minutes looking it up? Why say anything at all?

TEETH.jpg

Tentative dating of the Kuwajima Formation to the Barremian–Aptian makes it the stratigraphically youngest representative of a long-lived, globally distributed and abundant mammaliamorph lineage and extends the known geographic range of tritylodontids.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
A new Early Cretaceous tritylodontid (Synapsida, Cynodontia, Mammaliamorpha) from the Kuwajima Formation (Tetori Group) of central Japan

Get it? Globally distributed? Why say something as ignorant as "they found some teeth" when it's easy to spend two minutes looking it up? Why say anything at all?
Thanks for letting me know that my expressing interest in the find, without jumping for joy that the science is settled, displeases you.

Forum List

Back