Mamet on Becoming a Conservative

so, YOU demand purity? interesting...:lol:

No. I am referencing the widespread conservative opinion that people like John McCain can't be called conservative.

You know, the kind of rightwing PC (political correctness, not politicalchic) whose counterpart on the left is, IRONICALLY,

what Mamet is objecting to.

d....i....d...u...read...t....h...e...article?
Pfffft. Carby's a liberal. He doesn't have to read the article. Mamet's a Jew, and that's that. Case closed. End of discussion. The science is settled.

Right, Carby?

so, YOU demand purity? interesting...:lol:

No. I am referencing the widespread conservative opinion that people like John McCain can't be called conservative.

You know, the kind of rightwing PC (political correctness, not politicalchic) whose counterpart on the left is, IRONICALLY,

Yes. Mamet never once calls himself a conservative.

Pfffft. Carby's a liberal. He doesn't have to read the article. Mamet's a Jew, and that's that. Case closed. End of discussion. The science is settled.

Right, Carby?

I think there's a reasonable chance that Mamet is engaging in an elaborate satire. Or, he's an idiot savant. :lol:

hung up on literary license? hummmm read the whole WS article...

maybe he is someone who has decided to stop drinking the kool aid long enough and use his eyes and ears and read.....without being afraid of what he might find.

I'm going with a rather more exotic theory (and it is arguable). He's Jewish, and has become angry with what he perceives to be a growing anti-Semitism on the Left. That's his gut-level motivation.

The rest is dress-up.

:lol::lol:
race-card.jpg

you played the religion card:eek:you trumped me!!!

The more of the reviews of his book I read, the more it appears that he suddenly, magically, acquired every single conservative view of every single issue. A religious-like conversion.

That's hard to get past the plausibility test.

I would like some evidence that Mamet has really become a conservative, and by that I mean,

a conservative who can pass all the various litmus tests that the 'pure' conservatives demand before they'll honor someone with the title.

For example, is Mamet now more conservative than John McCain? Can he claim that? Because if he isn't he in no way passes the modern test.
Liberal or CON$ervative he is still an Idealist. See the 5th quote in my sig.

I would like some evidence that Mamet has really become a conservative, and by that I mean,

a conservative who can pass all the various litmus tests that the 'pure' conservatives demand before they'll honor someone with the title.

For example, is Mamet now more conservative than John McCain? Can he claim that? Because if he isn't he in no way passes the modern test.
Liberal or CON$ervative he is still an Idealist. See the 5th quote in my sig.

Well, the more I read the more it appears he passed the litmus tests by writing the answers on his hand.

In today's times, pretty much captures the nuttiness of David Mamet.

'David Mamet’s Right-Wing Conversion' By Christopher Hitchens

"This is an extraordinarily irritating book, written by one of those people who smugly believe that, having lost their faith, they must ipso facto have found their reason. In order to be persuaded by it, you would have to be open to propositions like this:

"Part of the left’s savage animus against Sarah Palin is attributable to her status not as a woman, neither as a Conservative, but as a Worker."

Or this:

"America is a Christian country. Its Constitution is the distillation of the wisdom and experience of Christian men, in a tradition whose codification is the Bible."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/books/review/book-review-the-secret-knowledge-by-david-mamet.html

"Propagandistic writing of this kind can be even more boring than it is irritating. For example, Mamet writes in “The Secret Knowledge” that “the Israelis would like to live in peace within their borders; the Arabs would like to kill them all.” Whatever one’s opinion of that conflict may be, this (twice-made) claim of his abolishes any need to analyze or even discuss it. It has a long way to go before it can even be called simplistic. By now, perhaps, you will not be surprised to know that Mamet regards global warming as a false alarm, and demands to be told “by what magical process” bumper stickers can “save whales, and free Tibet.” This again is not uncharacteristic of his pointlessly aggressive style: who on earth maintains that they can? If I were as prone to sloganizing as Mamet, I’d keep clear of bumper-sticker comparisons altogether."

It is one of the chief reasons liberalism is hard to defend or vague about its defense sometimes, it realizes it does not know what works, it only knows we cannot stand still as conservatives do. Bernard Williams calls it 'how we go on in the here and now.'
There is an old saying in my part of the country,

"If it ain't broke; don't fix it".

Liberal/Progressives think that everything must be revised or eliminated.

They are so obsessed with change; it's like a religion.

What they fail to recognize; is most traditions and social morays have stood the test of time' because they have been found to be the best solution to a problem.

Change for changes sake is not a solution to anything.

And is usually leads to more complicated and unforeseen problems.

Right, Carby?

I think there's a reasonable chance that Mamet is engaging in an elaborate satire. Or, he's an idiot savant. :lol:
Because it's just so implausible that he could be an apostate from the liberal faith?

So if one rejects those clowns calling themselves "liberals" then one must be supporting those clowns calling themselves conservatives?

I don't think so kids.

Right, Carby?

Because it's just so implausible that he could be an apostate from the liberal faith?

No, it's just difficult to imagine how such a brilliant writer could engage in such stupidity.

Hitchen's full review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/b...the-secret-knowledge-by-david-mamet.html?_r=1

It's funny that Mamet was on Hugh Hewitt's radio show a week or so after the article admitting that he realized liberals were full of shit, but somehow liberals still think he's a liberal.

Come to reality dumbfucks, he left your side.

No, it's just difficult to imagine how such a brilliant writer could engage in such stupidity.

Hitchen's full review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/b...the-secret-knowledge-by-david-mamet.html?_r=1

19 Jun 2011 05:30 PM
Quote For The Day II

"It has a long way to go before it can even be called simplistic," - Hitch on David Mamet's conversion to the Breitbart-Goldfarb totalist version of conservatism.

I.e. reification and then hatred of "liberals," which can mean anything and anyone from Colin Powell to Noam Chomsky. We are surely now way past the decadent stage of the left-to-right intellectual migration. All we are seeing now on the right is initiation into a faction.

Quote For The Day II - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

Andrew Sullivan speaks up. The bolding is mine because I find it just hilarious and I agree with him.

Hitchen's full review:

What makes you think it's stupid?

Forum List

Back