Mamet on Becoming a Conservative

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Just re-read playwright David Mamet's essay in the Village Voice, and found it to reflect what many, in the light of this abysmal administration, probably could have written. And with the 2012 election just around the corner, it's worth considering.
Here's part of his essay.

David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal'An election-season essay

1. I wrote a play about politics ("November")
…a disputation between reason and faith, or perhaps between the conservative (or tragic) view and the liberal (or perfectionist) view.
The conservative president in the piece holds that people are each out to make a living, and the best way for government to facilitate that is to stay out of the way, as the inevitable abuses and failures of this system (free-market economics) are less than those of government intervention.

2. I took the liberal view for many decades, but I believe I have changed my mind. As a child of the '60s, I accepted as an article of faith that government is corrupt, that business is exploitative, and that people are generally good at heart.

3. I had been listening to NPR and reading various organs of national opinion for years, wonder and rage contending for pride of place. Further: I found I had been—rather charmingly, I thought—referring to myself for years as "a brain-dead liberal," and to NPR as "National Palestinian Radio."

4. I wondered, how could I have spent decades thinking that I thought everything was always wrong at the same time that I thought I thought that people were basically good at heart? Which was it?... I'd observed that lust, greed, envy, sloth, and their pals are giving the world a good run for its money, but that nonetheless, people in general seem to get from day to day; and that we in the United States get from day to day under rather wonderful and privileged circumstances—that we are not and never have been the villains that some of the world and some of our citizens make us out to be, but that we are a confection of normal (greedy, lustful, duplicitous, corrupt, inspired—in short, human) individuals living under a spectacularly effective compact called the Constitution, and lucky to get it.

5. The Constitution, written by men with some experience of actual government, assumes that the chief executive will work to be king, the Parliament will scheme to sell off the silverware, and the judiciary will consider itself Olympian and do everything it can to much improve (destroy) the work of the other two branches. So the Constitution pits them against each other, in the attempt not to achieve stasis, but rather to allow for the constant corrections necessary to prevent one branch from getting too much power for too long.

6. And I began to question my hatred for "the Corporations"—the hatred of which, I found, was but the flip side of my hunger for those goods and services they provide and without which we could not live…. [C]lasses in the United States are mobile, not static, which is the Marxist view. That is: Immigrants came and continue to come here penniless and can (and do) become rich; the nerd makes a trillion dollars; the single mother, penniless and ignorant of English, sends her two sons to college (my grandmother). On the other hand, the rich and the children of the rich can go belly-up; the hegemony of the railroads is appropriated by the airlines, that of the networks by the Internet; and the individual may and probably will change status more than once within his lifetime.
David Mamet: Why I Am No Longer a 'Brain-Dead Liberal' - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

Cut and Paste PC invoking the name of one of the most creative writers in modern history.

That is pure irony.

And here you are again, as confused as a cow on AstroTurf.
Searching for some way to appear relevant, the less gifted- that would be you- find commenting on the style of a post almost the same as commenting on the substance of same.

Well, at least you are working up to your ability.

Nor do I expect that Mamet's apercu is within your ken. No, I've seen your ability to prove that you have no ability...and I'm certain that, Einstein's precept on the lack of value of repeating the same act over and over notwithstanding, you will vote just as you did in '08.

Based on that, I have just one question for you: How many times have you fallen for Lucy’s football trick?

The Spanish Prisoner, Oleanna, and Glengarry Glen Ross were great films.

As to Mamet's politics, someone said it best when they said, Mamet went from being a braindead liberal to being a braindead conservative.

Most Liberals tend to be snotty sarcastic High School Drop-Out types. You would think they would grow out of that stuff eventually but many just don't. Most are just petulant annoying children in the end. They will never grow up. Just look at most of these Obama-supporters. They're certainly no geniuses. It's actually very sad.

Hey! Who cares what a conservative entertainment figure says? We should only listen to liberal entertainment figures!

/USMB Lefty

Do you care what Mamet's political views are?

I got the impression he became a conservative because he got sick of being around too many assholes who happened to be liberal.

If that's the case, that's not a very good way to decide on your political beliefs. If you reject every belief that might also be held by some assholes,

you'll end up not believing in anything.

btw, Oleanna is hard shot at political correctness, he can't have been too far to the left when he wrote that.

Many libs are finally realizing their beliefs were nothing but shit.

Jewish libs now see their fellow libs as Jew haters in regards to Israel.

Black libs can see libs will sellout to whatever skin color is in fad...see hispanics today.

White libs that can't find a job or don't want Obamacare now realize libs in DC don't give a shit about their miserable lives.

Libs that thought Bush's intelligence methods were illegal have to question their thoughts after those methods helped kill UBL.

In the end, they either find out they're full of shit and repent or they die a liberal on their way to hell.

The more Jews that come to their senses the better. The sift happening slowly, but it is happening.:cool:

The Spanish Prisoner, Oleanna, and Glengarry Glen Ross were great films.

As to Mamet's politics, someone said it best when they said, Mamet went from being a braindead liberal to being a braindead conservative.

He's been running the gamut of RW hate radio.

Heard him on a couple in the last couple days.

He does sound like a very confused man.

I love it! This is a 4 year old non-story, resurrected by the CON$ervative echo chamber and parroted by the mindless drones, Right on cue, as if it was new!
:bsflag:

Hey! Who cares what a conservative entertainment figure says? We should only listen to liberal entertainment figures!

/USMB Lefty

I got the impression he became a conservative because he got sick of being around too many assholes who happened to be liberal.

If that's the case, that's not a very good way to decide on your political beliefs. If you reject every belief that might also be held by some assholes,

btw, Oleanna is hard shot at political correctness, he can't have been too far to the left when he wrote that.
No, I don't care what Mamet's politics are. I believe entertainers should stick to entertaining.

However, your comment about political beliefs versus peer pressure are interesting. How many college liberals are liberal due to peer pressure?

/USMB Lefty

Did you feel it absolutely necessary to prove that I was correct in stating that Mamet's essay was beyond your ability to understand???

"I got the impression ...."
You got the impression?
The last 'impression' that you received was from the brick that Ignatz bounced off your noggin.

Mamet explains the steps that resulted in his epiphany.
Explains.
States....tells....sketches out...
So that folks who can read don't have to rely on 'impressions.'

And, in a related thought, did you know that psittacine species, parrots, have a brain to body ration equal to that of chimpanzees.
As such, parrots are the smartest of all birds with the cognitive capacity of a five-year-old child.

So, how does it make you feel, being compared less than favorably to parrots?

I love it! This is a 4 year old non-story, resurrected by the CON$ervative echo chamber and parroted by the mindless drones, Right on cue, as if it was new!

Sorry, wrong again, FindTheDrumstick...

...best go back to your vocation, kissing the hems of Limbaugh's garments.

You see, while the essay is from '08, the story is au courant....
David Mamet wrote a book that was released this week.

"The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture."

Sorry, wrong again, FindTheDrumstick...

...best go back to your vocation, kissing the hems of Limbaugh's garments.

You see, while the essay is from '08, the story is au courant....
David Mamet wrote a book that was released this week.

"The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture."
I always have a pair of drumsticks handy including a pair of aluminum sticks that I keep in the car just in case the opportunity to jam with others presents itself. I like a rather thin stick, a Regal Tip 7A, and keeping a wood stick in the car would warp it. So I never need to find a drumstick, even when away from home. :lol:

And Mamet's rant was not relevant 4 years ago and even less relevant today, but obviously more relevant than the book or you and the GOP echo machine would be flogging the book rather than the old meaningless rant!!!

I do like the music of his keyboardist brother though, it never becomes dated!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQIHI0MLJLc]YouTube - ‪Bob Mamet Greenstreet‬‏[/ame]

/USMB Lefty

Did you feel it absolutely necessary to prove that I was correct in stating that Mamet's essay was beyond your ability to understand???

"I got the impression ...."
You got the impression?
The last 'impression' that you received was from the brick that Ignatz bounced off your noggin.

Mamet explains the steps that resulted in his epiphany.
Explains.
States....tells....sketches out...
So that folks who can read don't have to rely on 'impressions.'

And, in a related thought, did you know that psittacine species, parrots, have a brain to body ration equal to that of chimpanzees.
As such, parrots are the smartest of all birds with the cognitive capacity of a five-year-old child.

So, how does it make you feel, being compared less than favorably to parrots?

You know, until you get good at ad hominem attacks, you should probably refrain from including them in your act.

OK, let's do it. Let's see why Mamet started believing he was a conservative:

Exhibit A (from the essay)

I found not only that I didn't trust the current government (that, to me, was no surprise), but that an impartial review revealed that the faults of this president—whom I, a good liberal, considered a monster—were little different from those of a president whom I revered.

Bush got us into Iraq, JFK into Vietnam. Bush stole the election in Florida; Kennedy stole his in Chicago. Bush outed a CIA agent; Kennedy left hundreds of them to die in the surf at the Bay of Pigs. Bush lied about his military service; Kennedy accepted a Pulitzer Prize for a book written by Ted Sorenson. Bush was in bed with the Saudis, Kennedy with the Mafia. Oh.

Alright, so Mamet begins to doubt his liberalism because he realizes (eureka) that many of Bush's evil deeds (and yes Mamet makes clear he despises Bush and Bush's actions, which separates him from about 3/4's of America's self-identified conservatives)

were comparably committed by the liberal Kennedy.

THAT is why you suddenly abandon your belief system? Because you've found someone who's supposed to be a liberal who in certain instances didn't act like one? Didn't adhere to the principles and ideas that liberalism is meant to stand for?

THAT?

That's about as daft as if I were to become a conservative because Clinton signed NAFTA, or because Obama escalated the war in Afghanistan.

DAFT

Last edited:

Forum List

Back