NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
animals are a wonder sometimes.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9685476/

Mama dog nurses orphaned baby squirrel
Bushy-tailed rodent welcomed into litter of canine pups

Updated: 3:19 p.m. ET Oct. 13, 2005
SEATTLE - Animal lover that she is, Debby Cantlon didn’t hesitate when someone asked if she could take in an orphaned newborn squirrel and nurse it back to health.

Neither did Mademoiselle Giselle, her pregnant pooch.

The black and white Papillon with long-haired butterfly ears dragged the squirrel’s cage to her bedside — twice — before giving birth to pups last month.

Cantlon was concerned at first, but ultimately decided to let the squirrel out. Mademoiselle Giselle even encouraged the little rodent to join her litter.

Since then, cameras have captured images of the squirrel bonding alongside its canine brothers and sisters.

As for the bushy-tailed critter’s name: Finnegan. “As in, 'Finnegan, begin again,'" Cantlon said.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I saw this article covered on cable news, and it reminded me of the time my dad brought home a young squirrel he found out hunting for me and my brother when we were about 6 and 8. Too bad we didn't have a mama dog with a litter of pups because that squirrel just about tore our house up! Once my dad let it loose, none of us could get near it. It was totally wild. It used the furniture just like it would a tree, and it tore down all the curtains and drapes in the house. We became afraid of it and felt certain it was going to jump on us next. Sure did teach my dad a lesson about little wild critters he never forgot.

Adam's Apple said:
I saw this article covered on cable news, and it reminded me of the time my dad brought home a young squirrel he found out hunting for me and my brother when we were about 6 and 8. Too bad we didn't have a mama dog with a litter of pups because that squirrel just about tore our house up! Once my dad let it loose, none of us could get near it. It was totally wild. It used the furniture just like it would a tree, and it tore down all the curtains and drapes in the house. We became afraid of it and felt certain it was going to jump on us next. Sure did teach my dad a lesson about little wild critters he never forgot.

We wouldn't talk about it though, hence the saying. "Nobody talks about the squirrel in the room."

j/k.

Forum List

Back