Mama boys.

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
Eurostat, the European Union’s statistics agency
- 56 % of Greek men aged 25 to 34 live at parents home
- 36 % of Greek women aged 35 to 34 live at parents home

ekathimerini.com | Greek men are mommy’s boys

Do you think the difference between men and women results because women marry at earlier age?
Or why do you think, sons tend to live longer at parents home then the daughters?

It is very very very expensive to own a home in Europe. I think less women are living at home with their mom and dad because they are married and 2 incomes make it a little easier for them to have a home of their own.

Also, many women could be living with their HUSBAND'S parents instead of their own parents, until they can afford a home of their own.

My God parents are Italian and live in Milan....both their single son and single daughter live with them, even though both children are in their 40's.

Your relatives aged 40 living with their parents are called Bamboccioni in Italian.
Italy also has the mama boys problem, every 3rd Italian in his early 30's lives with parents
Why more young Italians than ever before are choosing to live at home | Mail Online

Back to topic:
Leaving parents is not related to buying a house. You can also rent a flat within a house, which is probably the common case at these younger ages. In agglomerations (cities) there are also not enough houses for everyone to buy one, and renting a flat you can also do without your wife having to work, it's not that expensive.

I don't live at home with my parents, and nor would I or they want me to. But isn't it different in continental Europe? I was under the impression that a lot of parents prefer their children to live under one roof, it's just that they split the property into seperate floors for privacy.

I don't live at home with my parents, and nor would I or they want me to. But isn't it different in continental Europe? I was under the impression that a lot of parents prefer their children to live under one roof, it's just that they split the property into seperate floors for privacy.

The linked article in 1st post, which references Eurostat says, that Scandinavian countries have lowest % rates in these age groups still living at home.
I know from Germany, allthough I have no data at hand but observations, that the rate is also more Scandinavian alike. It seems to be South-European problem.
In Turkey, boys go to Army (conscription), once they're back they are regarded men and usually they immediately marry. Here I also have no data, but probably 80% of men only leave parents' home if they marry. It is strongly connected to the marriage issue.

The best man at our wedding lived with his mother until he was 35.

The bottom line was that mama still did his laundry, cooked his meals the way he liked it, picked up after him. He didn't have to pay rent and there were no responsibilities. It made his life very easy and there were no hassles about anything. I however thought he was just being lazy.

What got him out of the house was he got a girlfriend and wanted privacy.

Or why do you think, sons tend to live longer at parents home then the daughters?
Greek women are expected to cook, clean, and do laundry for the entire family from a young age. The longer you stay with the parents, the longer you have to do their chores. Doing laundry for yourself and your husband is far easier than doing laundry for your entire extended family.

Greek men have women do the cooking, cleaning, and laundry. The longer they stay with their parents, the longer they can put off learning how to cook, clean, and do laundry for themselves, because their sisters and mothers do it for them.

Last edited:
I made love to a Greek woman once.

Thank Zeus I had a compass to find my way through that forest.

I think Greece should try to get female pubic hair and male eyebrow hair into the carbon emissions trading scheme.

My parents loved me and I couldn't have had better childhood but at 18, they showed me the door..

Basically.. there's the door.. sink or swim..man up

It taught me self reliance..

To many are brought up nowadays with their hands out expecting free stuff, sucking the government tit and being freeloading unappreciative bastards..

Last edited:
My parents loved me and I couldn't have had better childhood but at 18, they showed me the door..

Basically.. there's the door.. sink or swim..man up

It taught me self reliance..

To many are brought up nowadays with their hands out expecting free stuff, sucking the government tit and being freeloading unappreciative bastards..

That's about how i feel about it. There comes a time when you should leave the nest.

There was no showing me, or any of my siblings the door, we all wanted to leave and be on our own. We wanted to be adults and take care of ourselves.

Would you be considered a "Mana's boy" if you breast fed until you were 9? If so, my cousin Ernest is a Mama's boy.

Forum List

Back