Male or Female?

Carter Malone

Jul 24, 2017
I was an intersex child who had surgery. Don't put other kids through this.
Kimberly Mascott Zieselman, Opinion contributor Published 3:15 a.m. ET Aug. 9, 2017
Doctors and parents are doing irreversible harm solely due to discomfort with difference. We are erased before we can even tell them who we are.
My natural hormone production ceased, and I was forced onto hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life. I was just 15. Doctors also recommended to my parents that I receive invasive surgery to create a more “typically” sized vagina — thankfully, my parents refused. I didn’t find out about any of this until I was 41 years old.

Intersex people like me — up to 1.7% of the population — are born with sex characteristics that do not fit typical definitions of male or female. I have androgen insensitivity syndrome. Because my body was resistant to androgens, including testosterone, in the womb, my natural hormones automatically converted into estrogen through a process called aromatization.

Intersex people have been the last bastion of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” with doctors commonly telling parents for many years that the best thing they could do for their children was to have surgery done, even when they are infants, so they can grow up “normal.”

I can understand why the parents would agree to this surgery. "She" was female on the outside so of course, she must be female. Incredibly, she was not told the facts of her surgery until age 41. How many times have we read people declaring that a male can't get pregnant?

This is a dizzying dilemma. Parents struggling to do the right thing for their children and listening to the so-called experts, who may or may not have an agenda that actually does not serve the best interests of their patient.

How do you make this decision?

I Wish I Had Been Told About These Risks Before I Had Gender Surgery
Walt Heyer / June 09, 2016 /

More than 50 percent had active suicidal thoughts and 45 percent had had a major depressive episode.

Quick to Diagnose

The experience of many gender-confused individuals is that medical professionals are quick to reach a diagnosis of gender dysphoria and recommend immediate cross-gender hormone therapy and irreversible reassignment surgery without investigating and treating the coexisting issues. Research has found that powerful psychological issues, such as anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, or alcohol or drug dependence often accompany gender dysphoria.

A study published in JAMA Pediatrics in March 2016 shows a high prevalence of psychiatric diagnoses in a sample of 298 young transgender women aged 16 through 29 years old.

More than 40 percent had coexisting mental health or substance dependence diagnoses. One in five had two or more psychiatric diagnoses. The most commonly occurring disorders were major depressive episodes and non-alcohol psychoactive substance use dependence.

Yet, transgender individuals are never required to undergo any objective test to prove their gender dysphoria—because no diagnostic objective test exists.

The cause of this condition can’t be verified through lab results, a brain scan, or review of the DNA make-up.

Emphasis mine.

Our politicians and religions are making this so much more difficult for these people. Somehow, we've got to stop their harassment and start putting the needs of these people ahead of govt or religious bigotry.

These are actually two separate issues and conditions. One is a physical abnormality, the other is mental. They can't be treated as the same thing.

That being said while I sympathize with the person in the OP's story, the fact is that when it comes to things like this there is no "good" outcome, only less bad ones.

Forum List

Back