Male Nurse Fired For Treating Female Muslims

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Since many Muslim societies don't believe in education for women, what are the women in those societies expected to do for healthcare if they can't be treated by a man?

Says He Was Fired Over Treating Muslim Women
Published November 24, 2011
| Associated Press

DEARBORN, Mich. – A male registered nurse and Vietnam war Army medic has sued the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, saying he was fired for disobeying a Muslim supervisor's order not to treat women wearing conservative Islamic dress.
John Benitez Jr. filed a sex discrimination suit Wednesday in Detroit U.S. District Court after getting the go-ahead from the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in a "right to sue" letter Oct. 19.

Read more: Nurse Says He Was Fired Over Treating Muslim Women | Fox News

The man had No business attending to muslim women in the hospital. :evil:

So answer the question? If women are forbidden to work and men can not treat women in Muslim societies does that mean women just suffer and die for lack of medical coverage?
Women are not forbidden to work in Islam.

There are plenty of female Doctors and Nurses to attend to muslim women. :cool:

Last edited:
The man had No business attending to muslim women in the hospital. :evil:

So answer the question? If women are forbidden to work and men can not treat women in Muslim societies does that mean women just suffer and die for lack of medical coverage?

There are plenty of female Doctors and Nurses to attend to muslim women.

I personally know several just in my own city. :cool:

How about in Taliban controlled areas? Or in other strict conservative Muslim run Countries, dumb ass.

There are plenty of female Doctors and Nurses to attend to muslim women.

I personally know several just in my own city. :cool:

How about in Taliban controlled areas? Or in other strict conservative Muslim run Countries, dumb ass.
The incident took place here in the U.S.

What they do in other countries is their business not mine. :cool:

Ok, after looking at the story I have some problems with what happened. The first is the nurse not following the instruction of his immediate supervisor. The clients in question did receive care, just not from him, so there were no clients neglected. That's good.

What will be the defense of the supervisor will be the "Pharmcist morality defense". As Muslim tradition states men should not take care of muslim women is their custom and is stated in their religious beliefs, this now becomes a moral issue.

If Christian Pharmacists can refuse a direct medical request to issue Day after pills on moral grounds, why can't Muslims claim the same moral rights? The christian morality ploy actually refuses medical treatment the Muslim morality just changes the care giver in this particular incident.

The nurse should have been fired for disregarding the instuction of his supervisor. If he had a problem with it and thought the clients were being neglected he should have went over his supervisor to her supervisor, he did not. The firing in my opinion was justified.

The nurse got caught in the middle of two different sets of instructions, his supervisors and a doctor.

"The complaint said Benitez complied until Nov. 17, 2010, when a doctor saw what he was doing and questioned him "about the cumbersome and unusual practice of taking women wearing a head scarf to the nursing supervisor for care," rather than going ahead and treating them.

The complaint said Benitez then began complying with the new instruction that he treat women wearing hijab."

He should have told the doctor about his supervisor's instruction and let the doctor and supervisor battle it out.

I've certainly been in a similar work situation where I got conflicting instructions by supervising and senior workers. I'm sure the Fox News slant on the story is in support of the worker, rather than cultural sensitivity in providing medical care.

Ok, after looking at the story I have some problems with what happened. The first is the nurse not following the instruction of his immediate supervisor. The clients in question did receive care, just not from him, so there were no clients neglected. That's good.

What will be the defense of the supervisor will be the "Pharmcist morality defense". As Muslim tradition states men should not take care of muslim women is their custom and is stated in their religious beliefs, this now becomes a moral issue.

If Christian Pharmacists can refuse a direct medical request to issue Day after pills on moral grounds, why can't Muslims claim the same moral rights? The christian morality ploy actually refuses medical treatment the Muslim morality just changes the care giver in this particular incident.

The nurse should have been fired for disregarding the instuction of his supervisor. If he had a problem with it and thought the clients were being neglected he should have went over his supervisor to her supervisor, he did not. The firing in my opinion was justified.

I tend to agree. He was told not to treat Muslim women in traditional dress. It could be reasonably expected he knew his actions were insubordinate.
He violated a direct order and unless he can show that he acted in an emergency situation where no female was available and inaction would have caused the death of the patient, the firing is justified.
This doesn't mean I don't think it sucks, but rulez is rulez.

The nurse got caught in the middle of two different sets of instructions, his supervisors and a doctor.

"The complaint said Benitez complied until Nov. 17, 2010, when a doctor saw what he was doing and questioned him "about the cumbersome and unusual practice of taking women wearing a head scarf to the nursing supervisor for care," rather than going ahead and treating them.

The complaint said Benitez then began complying with the new instruction that he treat women wearing hijab."

He should have told the doctor about his supervisor's instruction and let the doctor and supervisor battle it out.

I've certainly been in a similar work situation where I got conflicting instructions by supervising and senior workers. I'm sure the Fox News slant on the story is in support of the worker, rather than cultural sensitivity in providing medical care.

Absolutely right about FOX news. Anything but "fair & balanced". But, we already knew that going in. The doctor was probably not a Muslim, and might have been a member of a competeing faith. Or he might not have liked the supervisor, or he just likes sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. More likely though he thought he knew better than everyone else on the planet and was telling people what to do just because he is a "Doctor" and everyone else is just a lowly worker.

Hmmm I confess I did not read the whole article. Conflicting orders opens a can of worms. I think it's fair to assume that one should follow the most recent orders.

Hmmm I confess I did not read the whole article. Conflicting orders opens a can of worms. I think it's fair to assume that one should follow the most recent orders.

Conflicting orders would only come into play if the doctor was a part of his chain of command. If the doctor was above the supervisor than the nurse was wrong and should follow the doctors order. If the doctor and the supervisor were of equal status than it is a judgement call and will be settled in court. If the Doctor isn't in the chain of command than the nurse should have disregarded his instruction as long as no one was neglected or in danger of immediate death.

The incident took place at a PUBLIC ( i.e. government ) health department, so based on separation of church and state, your argument can't work in this situation.

"Benitez said he followed this instruction until Nov. 17, 2010, when a health department doctor saw Benitez abstain from treating a Muslim woman and questioned why he wasn’t treating her.

Benitez had transitioned a patient who was receiving a flu shot to the nursing supervisor rather than issue the shot himself.

Benitez explained the directive from the nursing supervisor and the doctor told him the process was “improper” and to treat Muslim women the same as he would patients of any other religion, race, color or ethnicity.

Benitez said he followed the new instructions and within two weeks he was out of a job.

The lawsuit says Benitez was “directly told” that the termination was not performance related, rather that “the clinic’s conservative male Muslim clientele did not want a male treating female patients.” The suit doesn’t make clear who made the statement to Benitez."

Lawsuit claims male nurse fired by city for treating Muslim women - News - Press and Guide

Treating all patients equally is certainly what you should expect in a public health department. If Muslim men didn't want " their women" ( don't you just love that ownership) treated by a man, then they should have gone to a private clinic for Muslims.

The incident took place at a PUBLIC ( i.e. government ) health department, so based on separation of church and state, your argument can't work in this situation.

Government makes no difference. In the Christian zeal to save the unborn they have petitioned the government in court to allow Pharmacists to morally refuse to provide the morning after pill. So the government has already sanctioned "religious morality" to be a factor in the administration of medical issues. This is such a case.

Forum List

Back