Making Water a Matter of Race

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
By Claire Suddath Monday, Jul. 14, 2008Getty
To this day, Jerry Kennedy only does laundry when it rains. For the first 54 years of his life, he lived without running water, and rainstorms were the only way he could collect enough water to wash his clothes. But Kennedy isn't from some far-off rural outpost. He was born and raised in the Coal Run neighborhood of Zanesville, Ohio — a former coal-mining center of 25,000 in the eastern part of the state — just a few hundred feet from a municipal water line. Kennedy, now 58, is black. His neighbors, who did not have running water for more than 50 years, are also black. On July 10, the U.S. District Court of Ohio awarded them almost $10.9 million, ruling that they had been denied access to public water because of their race.

The decision comes four years after the water started flowing in Coal Run, a black community of some 25 homes in overwhelmingly white Muskingum County, following a lawsuit filed by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) and 67 Coal Run residents. According to the suit, the community had repeatedly requested water service since 1956, the year the city built a water main that ended just short of the neighborhood, and had watched as the East Muskingum Water Authority built new water lines and increased county water efforts in surrounding areas while their requests went unanswered. When he built his house in the early 1980s, Kennedy says, his water request was denied. He can't even remember the number of times he asked the city's service director for help, only to have nothing happen. Then a house went up next door. A white family moved in, and one day Kennedy saw his new neighbors watering their lawn. "They'd be out there with a hot tub out on the porch," he says, "and I was still going down the road [to the local water treatment plant] with a pickup truck every day." Like many Zanesville area residents, he couldn't drill a well because the surrounding coal mines have contaminated the water, rendering it undrinkable. The mines have been closed for years, but the ground is so full of sulfur that residents say the water runs red. In Coal Run, Kennedy and his black neighbors would either pay to have water hauled in from the treatment plant two miles away or catch the rainwater that ran down their gutters.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1822455,00.html

Last edited:
  • Banned
Yeah no racism in this country huh?

You people who deny there is any real claim to racism today need to face YOUR internal demons.

• Banned
I just got neg repped for this post.

I guess racism is still alive in this site too

So if it's about racism, what's it doing in Law & Justice?

Might get more attention where itt belongs.

i am amazed that this still exists...this type of total racial dealings....that one can treat someone so differently due to skin color...its almost as if the county want to force them out by any fashion. to deny waterservice is an evil in itself....to use skin color doubles that evil...i am glad a good lawyer is somewhere smiling at his share of the civil suits...too bad it too this for these people to get justice and water.

How about just caring and being aware of the true reality of race in this nation?

True reality? You have one story from some backwoods portion of some state that's nowhere near me (or more than half of the rest of the US), and you want us to jump all over it like kids hitting a pinata?

Pul-eeze. Whether or not it's actually going to snow here tomorrow is of more concern to me. Let the people that actually live there handle it.

Dont let it bother your little blonde mind shattered.

The adults will take care of the real world and make it go away for you.

Dont let it bother your little blonde mind shattered.

The adults will take care of the real world and make it go away for you.

That's flaming redhead, to you.

Sorry.. I'm not willing to drive to the backwoods of Ohio ...hell... To do what, exactly?

What is it you *want* everyone here to do?

There is a big differance between recognizing the facts and driving to Ohio to do what after the fact anyway?

I have redheads in my family and girl that aint anywhere near flaming.

25,000 isnt backwoods dear heart

25,000.. SO, there's 24,999 OTHER people that can jump all over this story until YOUR hearts content?

As I said.. What are you hoping to accomplish by posting it here, and then taunting people because they haven't responded in the manner YOU think they should respond?

By Claire Suddath Monday, Jul. 14, 2008Getty
To this day, Jerry Kennedy only does laundry when it rains. For the first 54 years of his life, he lived without running water, and rainstorms were the only way he could collect enough water to wash his clothes. But Kennedy isn't from some far-off rural outpost. He was born and raised in the Coal Run neighborhood of Zanesville, Ohio — a former coal-mining center of 25,000 in the eastern part of the state — just a few hundred feet from a municipal water line. Kennedy, now 58, is black. His neighbors, who did not have running water for more than 50 years, are also black. On July 10, the U.S. District Court of Ohio awarded them almost $10.9 million, ruling that they had been denied access to public water because of their race.

The decision comes four years after the water started flowing in Coal Run, a black community of some 25 homes in overwhelmingly white Muskingum County, following a lawsuit filed by the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC) and 67 Coal Run residents. According to the suit, the community had repeatedly requested water service since 1956, the year the city built a water main that ended just short of the neighborhood, and had watched as the East Muskingum Water Authority built new water lines and increased county water efforts in surrounding areas while their requests went unanswered. When he built his house in the early 1980s, Kennedy says, his water request was denied. He can't even remember the number of times he asked the city's service director for help, only to have nothing happen. Then a house went up next door. A white family moved in, and one day Kennedy saw his new neighbors watering their lawn. "They'd be out there with a hot tub out on the porch," he says, "and I was still going down the road [to the local water treatment plant] with a pickup truck every day." Like many Zanesville area residents, he couldn't drill a well because the surrounding coal mines have contaminated the water, rendering it undrinkable. The mines have been closed for years, but the ground is so full of sulfur that residents say the water runs red. In Coal Run, Kennedy and his black neighbors would either pay to have water hauled in from the treatment plant two miles away or catch the rainwater that ran down their gutters.

Making Water a Matter of Race - TIME

Yes, what a horrible racist country we live in, where black people are all going without water because of evil white racists, coal companies and Fox News. I'm looking out my window, and a horde of robed Ku Klux Klansmen are dumping acid in my black neighbor's well! Oh my God! Truthmatters, can you help out here?

Well shattered how nice of you to help our little Willy boy out with his next racist little ploy.

Well shattered how nice of you to help our little Willy boy out with his next racist little ploy.

Are you on drugs? Seriously? What did I do to help him? He's racist; I'm not. Simple as that.

Wel, I AM stupidity racist, if that counts for anything, but that has nothing to do with skin color.

Are you on drugs? Seriously? What did I do to help him? He's racist; I'm not. Simple as that.

Wel, I AM stupidity racist, if that counts for anything, but that has nothing to do with skin color.

Your the one on his side of the table trying to minimize the importance of this.

Forum List

Back