Making the mistake of buying reg vs instant rice :)

I am making risotto nero tonight from scratch. I have just taken my inky cuttle fish out of the freezer.

Communists have a propensity to work their people to death while starving them to death at the same time. I do not blame that on any race of people (same thing was done to the Russian people, the North Korean people, etc) - but Communism itself which is a godless satanic ideology. imo.

As to the Chinese people - while it is true some are Communist there are over 100 million in their underground church in China that are born again Christians - they worship Jesus Christ and are as free as a bird in their spirit! So not all Chinese people are communist as you appear to be suggesting, I.P. As to your avatar ......

I heard Christopher Hitchens died without Christ - what awful news that was for me to hear. It grieves my soul to know what that man is suffering now. If only he had listened. Right? I will be returning to the religion thread today. I have realized that perhaps there is more to be done here after all. Hope you'll be reading, I.P. .

I always put my rice with either butter or oil in a pan and toast it (don't walk away and LEAVE it for God's sake! Lol). I think that is the key to good rice just until it barely starts to change color. Then I add in seasonings and stir it around a bit and then I add either water or chicken stock until it is about 2 fingers above the level of the rice. Then, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and SIMMER (very important to simmer and not boil the rice). It needs to simmer slowly for at least 20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. You can tell by sticking a wooden spoon into the rice to see where the water level is. Then, you let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. It needs to sit to finish the cooking process and to finish absorbing the moisture. It also doesn't hurt to leave it on the burner after you shut the burner down.

I like any long grained real rice that is NOT instant. :D I think instant rice is tasteless, even after you try to spice it up, it is just not as flavorful, and I don't like the dry texture either.

I love rice, brown or wild. So buying a great big ol' bag of brown rice recently and fixing some I was perplexed why despite being in boiling water for some 10 minutes nothing was happening. It was just a bunch of wet rice in the bottom of the pan. Whereas prior rice makings had it expand soaking up the water in no time. "How could I have messed up rice?" I thought. Calling my Mom for other thinsg I mentioned it to her to which she asked "was it instant rice?" Oh...:)

As a rice eating coonass, let me enlighten you.

To cook rice, magnalite cookware is preferable, but, rice cookers work.

It is all in the rice.

Mahatma is the only rice to buy for regular use. I know there are fancy ass rices out there, but, not much better if better at all.

For brown, 2 cups water to one cup rice.

Rinse rice, mix rice and cold water, add salt to taste, bring to a boil, cover and cut down to lowest heat.

In 45 minutes to an hour you have perfect rice.

With white rice, rinse well, very well, add 1/ 1/2 cup water per cup of rice, salt to taste, bring to boil, reduce and cook for 15 minutes.

Real rice, not instant, cooked in a saucepan on the stove.

Nothing easier.

An interesting factoid is that all rice is brown until its treated to look white. You lose a lot of the nutrients and much of the taste in white rice but, originally, because of its special treatment, white rice was a lot more expensive and only the wealthy could afford it. Even though it tasted better and is more nutritious, brown rice fell out of favor. Now, white rice is cheaper but Asians still tend to eat it because its considered to be of a higher class than plain ole brown rice.

Instant rice? Delta, you are missing so much! Buy a rice steamer and cook your rice in that. You'll never return to instant rice.

I'm change-adverse. Last thing I want is having to learn anything new. :) Was actually summoning recollections of documentaries showing indigenous people preparing food wondering if i had to beat the rice with a rock first or something. :)

That is up for change, Delta. Seriously. It won't hurt you to try something different. A vegetable / rice steamer is a wonderful gadget! Buy one!

note - you did very well adjusting to this board! That was a change for you. And you like this board! Right? So check out a rice steamer and see if you don't notice a difference in the quality of your rice. Have a nice day.

Hey, wait....

Doesn't delta literally mean "change"??

Instant rice? Delta, you are missing so much! Buy a rice steamer and cook your rice in that. You'll never return to instant rice.

I'm change-adverse. Last thing I want is having to learn anything new. :) Was actually summoning recollections of documentaries showing indigenous people preparing food wondering if i had to beat the rice with a rock first or something. :)

That is up for change, Delta. Seriously. It won't hurt you to try something different. A vegetable / rice steamer is a wonderful gadget! Buy one!

note - you did very well adjusting to this board! That was a change for you. And you like this board! Right? So check out a rice steamer and see if you don't notice a difference in the quality of your rice. Have a nice day.

Hey, wait....

Doesn't delta literally mean "change"??

Does it? :)

My usages refers to the planet Delta 4 from the Star Trek universe. :)

I'll tell you what's nasty. Cheap white rice. We're cutting corners these days (enjoy your sub-$3 gas BTW) so I used it in a rice/bean dish and it turned out mighty pasty.

Which reminds me of a Pasty Cline song...

I always put my rice with either butter or oil in a pan and toast it (don't walk away and LEAVE it for God's sake! Lol). I think that is the key to good rice just until it barely starts to change color. Then I add in seasonings and stir it around a bit and then I add either water or chicken stock until it is about 2 fingers above the level of the rice. Then, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and SIMMER (very important to simmer and not boil the rice). It needs to simmer slowly for at least 20 minutes until the water is completely absorbed. You can tell by sticking a wooden spoon into the rice to see where the water level is. Then, you let it sit for about 5 or 10 minutes. It needs to sit to finish the cooking process and to finish absorbing the moisture. It also doesn't hurt to leave it on the burner after you shut the burner down.
OUCH!!!!

Never take the top off to check!!!

I like the magnalite cookware because if you aren't too good at watching the clock, you can turn the rice off early and it will still cook from the residual heat in the cookware.

But, I have been cooking rice for 60 years.

You seem to have it down too.

OUCH!!!!

I like the magnalite cookware because if you aren't too good at watching the clock, you can turn the rice off early and it will still cook from the residual heat in the cookware.

I always take the lids off my food and check and taste. I am a very interactive cook! :biggrin:

I found a killer copycat recipe for Rice-a-Roni. It tastes just like the real thing! I posted it on one of the other food threads, but I'll post it here too.

Chicken Rice a Roni {Copycat}
1 cup long grain white rice
1 cup angel hair pasta, broken into pieces
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 of an onion, chopped {About 1/2 cup}
3 cups water
4 tsp Chicken Better than Bullion chicken base
2 tsp dried parsley flakes {optional}

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and pasta. Stir to make sure the rice and pasta don’t burn. Cook until the pasta is light brown.

Add water and bullion and parsley if you like the green flecks
icon_smile.gif

Turn heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Once it boils, turn heat to low and cover pan with a lid. Cook 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. If water absorbs but the rice isn’t tender, add a bit more water and continue to cook until tender.

Credit for the recipe goes to Homemade Chicken Rice a Roni copycat recipe

OUCH!!!!

I always take the lids off my food and check and taste. I am a very interactive cook! :biggrin:
Me too.

Anything but RICE!!!!!

Once you get the timing down, you should never lift the lid on rice.

OUCH!!!!

Me too.

Anything but RICE!!!!!

Probably not, but I always do. :D

I'll tell you what's nasty. Cheap white rice. We're cutting corners these days (enjoy your sub-$3 gas BTW) so I used it in a rice/bean dish and it turned out mighty pasty.

Which reminds me of a Pasty Cline song...

"Pasty Cline" :rofl:

I love it H. Very sutble.

OUCH!!!!

Me too.

Anything but RICE!!!!!

I'm with you -- I want to know what's going on in there.
I have rice so often I use a rice cooker. It still needs an eye but less of one than doing it on the stovetop. Plus it frees up a stove burner if I want to get reallly complicated.

OUCH!!!!

Me too.

Anything but RICE!!!!!

I'm with you -- I want to know what's going on in there.
I have rice so often I use a rice cooker. It still needs an eye but less of one than doing it on the stovetop. Plus it frees up a stove burner if I want to get reallly complicated.

That's a big problem I have with cooking. I can never seem to leave it alone. :lol: I live to be involved I guess.

Forum List

Back