Making English Official Language is RACIST?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Says Harry Reid!!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20060518-114129-1805r.htm

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid called a proposal to make English the official language "racist" on the Senate floor yesterday.
"This amendment is racist. I think it's directed basically to people who speak Spanish," the Democrat said during the already tense debate over immigration reform.
Moments later, the Senate approved the measure on a 63-34 vote. Virtually all Republicans were joined by 11 Democrats to approve the largely symbolic amendment. Immediately following that vote, the Senate approved a second amendment, declaring on a 58-39 vote that English is the "common and unifying language."
Such proposals enjoy overwhelming support among American voters.
A poll by Zogby International earlier this year found that 84 percent of Americans say English should be the official language of government operations. The same poll found that 77 percent of Hispanics agree.
And it's a bipartisan issue, according to the poll, which found that 92 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats approve making English the country's official language.
Mr. Reid's charge of racism caused a stir of whispers in the Senate chamber and gallery, and Sen. James M. Inhofe, the Oklahoma Republican who offered the amendment, was clearly offended.
As Mr. Reid continued his floor speech, an aide passed him a note on a folded sheet of yellow legal paper. After reading the note, the Nevada Democrat tried to clarify his remarks.
"Even though I feel this amendment is unfair, I don't in any way suggest that Jim Inhofe is a racist," Mr. Reid said. "I don't believe that at all. I just believe that this amendment has, to some people, that connotation -- not that he's a racist, but that the amendment is."
It's certainly not the first time that Mr. Reid has used stark language in the debate over immigration.
"Our federal wallet is stretched to the limit by illegal aliens getting welfare, food stamps, medical care and other benefits without paying taxes," he said in 1993. "These programs were not meant to entice freeloaders and scam artists from around the world."
Earlier this year, Mr. Reid confessed on the Senate floor that his anti-immigrant fervor "mostly lasted about a week or two" before his wife brought him around to the more open position he holds today.
But nearly a year after his "freeloaders" statement, Mr. Reid was on the Senate floor criticizing immigrants again and worrying about their cultural impact.
"We must reduce the annual admissions of legal immigrants to more moderate levels in order to provide for a better country -- both environmentally and socially -- in the years to come," Mr. Reid said, according to a June 16, 1994, report by States News Service.
When Mr. Inhofe took to the floor yesterday, he didn't address Mr. Reid over his charge of racism but did defend his proposal.
"I think it's an insult to Hispanics to say that we are not going to have English as the national language because you're not capable of operating and speaking and succeeding in a country like this," he said.

Shattered said:
Whatever happened to the phrase "When in Rome..."

If you're going to live HERE, speak the f*cking language.

I think we see here another glaring example of just how out of touch Democrats like Reid really are with the American people.

Bonnie said:
I think Senator Reid might well ask himself why it is that out of the millions of immigrants to our country, all have managed to deal with driving, medicines, etc., without every sign, warning, label being in their native tongue? If we go to Mexico, Japan, China, France, Italy, are all the 'important things' going to posted in English also? Press 2?

Why just the Spanish speaking? Are they unable to 'get English?' I know for a fact they can, 1/3 of my students are currently Hispanic, mostly 1st or 2nd generation. Their parents care enough to make them attend a non-bilingual school.

I don't think we should have an official language...I don't think it is terribly racist, but enough so that it should be opposed.

We all know the origins of our country. Many people from many places gathering here to start a new life. It is certainly to one's advantage to learn english, but there should not be an 'official language'.

It follows the same lines as declaring white the official race, or christianity the official religion. It implies a sort of 'right' and 'wrong'. It belittles those who do not speak English, when really they should be allowed to speak whatever the hell they want. As long as you understand the constitution and the laws that govern this country...feel free to speak as the heart desires.

An 'official language' is not what this country is about. America was created as a place where people could do their own thing, and live not governed by some 'official culture' (for example, England had an 'official church' that the puritans looked to escape).

1549 said:
I don't think we should have an official language...I don't think it is terribly racist, but enough so that it should be opposed.

We all know the origins of our country. Many people from many places gathering here to start a new life. It is certainly to one's advantage to learn english, but there should not be an 'official language'.

It follows the same lines as declaring white the official race, or christianity the official religion. It implies a sort of 'right' and 'wrong'. It belittles those who do not speak English, when really they should be allowed to speak whatever the hell they want. As long as you understand the constitution and the laws that govern this country...feel free to speak as the heart desires.

An 'official language' is not what this country is about. America was created as a place where people could do their own thing, and live not governed by some 'official culture' (for example, England had an 'official church' that the puritans looked to escape).

I guess one must ask with this diatribe, what do you think an 'official language' means?

1549 said:

Sure, let them "speak as the heart desires" 'till the cows come home, I don't care, and no one's stopping them. But don't use our tax dollars to make signs, forms, special tests, etc., in the language of their desire.

Btw, I just heard on TV that 90% of Americans want English to be the offical langauge of our country. Hardly a "fringe" group.

Abbey Normal said:
Sure, let them "speak as the heart desires" 'till the cows come home, I don't care, and no one's stopping them. But don't use our tax dollars to make signs, forms, special tests, etc., in the language of their desire.

Btw, I just heard on TV that 90% of Americans want English to be the offical langauge of our country. Hardly a "fringe" group.
What she said.

There are still going to be signs, tests, and all sorts of things in Spanish. We have a large spanish speaking population...that is not changing anytime soon.

That is what makes it possible to claim a law like this is racist. It is not really a practical law. If I understand correctly, to become a citizen you have to pass a test that is written in English. It goes without saying that to be successful in America English is a necessity...so why make it a law?

Language is not acquired in a short time, so we will still have to help out our spanish-speaking friends presently in America. Not to mention the fact that we will cater to all of the spanish speaking legal immigrants who arrive in America. Because of this, your tax dollars will not be cut anytime soon (probably never). That may be a falty rationale for a law that was passed as a way to further attack America's spanish population.

There are theories of race struggle that propose a constant unconscious conflict between the majority and the minorities. The minorities fight for footing while the majority look to maintain the status quo. That is why it is no surprise things like "official language" are mentioned shortly after large spanish demonstrantions.

There is no need for an "official language". There will be little if any change, and all it does is belittle spanish people, even though many of them already work hard to learn English so they can earn better jobs. Above all, it is un-american.

Abbey Normal said:
Harry Reid is the current poster boy for the true lunatic fringe.

The fact is that sadly he is a sell out. He had values but traded them for his position as the Senate Minority leader. He proposed an immigration bill years ago and its that bill that we should be discussing now. Its alot better than the one being discussed. But rather then champion an issue he once could have owned, he has sold himself out. And thats pretty sad.

Kathianne said:
I think Senator Reid might well ask himself why it is that out of the millions of immigrants to our country, all have managed to deal with driving, medicines, etc., without every sign, warning, label being in their native tongue? If we go to Mexico, Japan, China, France, Italy, are all the 'important things' going to posted in English also? Press 2?

Why just the Spanish speaking? Are they unable to 'get English?' I know for a fact they can, 1/3 of my students are currently Hispanic, mostly 1st or 2nd generation. Their parents care enough to make them attend a non-bilingual school.

I have taken a job part time teaching legal immigrants mostly spanish how to speak English in a private school, I can tell you they pick up the language quite quickly. They know from a purely practical realization that in order to succeed and even excel in America they need to speak it, and speak it well, so much so they pay for these lessons many times by taking a second job. What they speak in their homes is entirely up to them.

The fact is that sadly he is a sell out. He had values but traded them for his position as the Senate Minority leader. He proposed an immigration bill years ago and its that bill that we should be discussing now. Its alot better than the one being discussed. But rather then champion an issue he once could have owned, he has sold himself out. And thats pretty sad.

Harry is not as popular in Nevada as all would think...he is on his last legs...ie: the 'Mormon' fisaco of which he is a elder...anyone check the news lately? Seems as if the Mormon church et al are in big trouble lately...anyone care to cite the current investigation? Like the Mormon welfare system....ie:work off debts owed to the church...in house welfare...numerous wifes et al...lol...Arizona,Utah and Nevada are closely looking into this fraud!
:huh: :smoke: Geez..some in the Mormon church work for way less than the illegals...,lotsa construction going on in Arizona and Utah with low ball,or no ball, Mormon companies working their flock for free! :huh:

Having two official languages will allow for legal discrimmination, particularlity within the public service (government) sector. Having two official languages will allow people to NOT hire you because you don't speak the language predominantly spoken in the work place, even though everyone speaks both languages. It's total bullshit. Give an inch and they take a million miles with this one. It never f*cken ends.

Said1 said:
Having two official languages will allow for legal discrimmination, particularlity within the public service (government) sector. Having two official languages will allow people to NOT hire you because you don't speak the language predominantly spoken in the work place, even though everyone speaks both languages. It's total bullshit. Give an inch and they take a million miles with this one. It never f*cken ends.
Spoken as one with experience, I'm sure. We were definately heading down that road, hopefully there is starting to be some awakening.

1549 said:

if you lived in mexico.....or france ...or germany...or spain....or danmark....or china....or russia...or japan.....and you were a citizen......woyuld the ballot that you marked your vote on be in english? or the offical language of that country?

Forum List

Back