Making Education Great Again...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The strategy is simply enough: get Liberals out of it.

1. The touchy-feely self-esteem that Liberals have instituted in place of passing and failing has doomed learning in this country. Just look at the scores our children achieve in international competition.

a. “A 1989 study of mathematical skills compared students in eight different countries. American students ranked lowest in mathematical competence and Korean students ranked highest. But the researchers also asked students to rate how good they were at mathematics. The Americans ranked highest in self-judged mathematical ability, while the Koreans ranked lowest….There is no evidence that high self-esteem reliably causes anything.” http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/education/ed0001.html

2. In fact, feeling good is so central to Liberalism, that it is a higher value than truth. The Left has changed American school textbooks from books attempting to convey history to books attempting to make women and members of select minorities feel good about themselves. Democrat lawmakers pass laws demanding that textbooks be rewritten to include more Democrat Party blocs. California Gay Textbooks: Proposal Would Require LGBT Lessons In Schools | HuffPost

a. “'History should be honest,' Gov. Jerry Brown says in signing the state law, which had sparked hot debate among legislators.... making California the first state to require that school textbooks and history lessons include the contributions of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender Americans.State laws: New state law requires textbooks to include gays' achievements

3. To see what we're up against, I commend an article in the current Brooklyn Daily,
"China syndrome: Whose kids get a better education?"
China syndrome: Whose kids get a better education?

"...Lenora Chu and her family arrived in Shanghai from the United States in 2010,...She spent the next seven years examining not just her young son’s education, but the whole Chinese educational system, comparing it with her own American upbringing and what’s happening in our schools today.

4. In China, education is .... a sorting mechanism — you advance to the next level of schooling based on a test score,” said Chu. The teachers are very strict from the get-go. One day, her preschooler came home from school with shiny red star stuck to his forehead.

“What do you get a red star for?” she asks in the book. “Do you get it if you run fast?”

Her son, Rainey, laughed He got it, of course, for sitting still. Chu was outraged. Her son was just three!

5. “Why do you sit? Do they make you sit at school? Do you have to sit?” Her husband, National Public Radio’s China correspondent Rob Schmitz, said is sounded as if she was asking, “Are your human rights being violated?”
But learning to sit still doesn’t violate any U.N. conventions.

6. And neither did what happened next. Rainey told his mom that four times that day he had found egg in his mouth — the food he detested most. How did it get there, Chu asked? The teacher put it in, because eggs are an important food. Three times he cried and spit it out. The fourth time, he swallowed.

And today he likes eggs."

During the civil rights movement, the by-word was 'keep your eye on the prize'....

We should remember that motto.

American education suck because the Christians try and teach genesis and the Noah's are real. Right away its doomed to failure.

California used to be in the top 5 in education, but after the Democrats gained permanent control it is in the bottom 5 in education

7. "He’s also bilingual and has learned some of the lessons American kids — or, let’s put it bluntly, my own kids — did not get in public school, like knowing the multiplication tables by heart.

8. “I hate the word ‘rote,’ ” said Chu as we spoke in a Midtown hotel. “It’s just memorization of basic knowledge and repeated practice. A lot of research supports that as foundational to learning.”

... we forgot that discoveries depend on leaping forward from a base of knowledge. That base can be memorized for easy access."
China syndrome: Whose kids get a better education?

American education suck because the Christians try and teach genesis and the Noah's are real. Right away its doomed to failure.

Of course you're lying.

No I don't think so, esp in the southern states. Why in the world do they have an ark in Kentucky for. I am for separation of church and state and the line is getting very blurred.

Lets really be a Christian nation, bring back stoning , you know like the jews use to do. Lets go back to 1950, that is where we are heading with the Pubs in control.

Of course you're lying.

No I don't think so, esp in the southern states. Why in the world do they have an ark in Kentucky for. I am for separation of church and state and the line is getting very blurred.

Lets really be a Christian nation, bring back stoning , you know like the jews use to do. Lets go back to 1950, that is where we are heading with the Pubs in control.

By now, most readers recognize that your posts are never more than ignorance and prejudice. Luckily for you, I'm here with facts and remediation.

Let's prove that together.

The decline in American education is due entirely to the influence of communists....or, in the current parlance, Liberals.

1. The most important influence in the education of American children is John Dewey.

John Dewey was a communist dupe, a Potemkin Progressive. Yet, this man is the greatest single influence on American schoolchildren; his books have been used to train generations of teachers. Even while the Russian civil war was still going on (some seven million killed between 1917 and 1921), Dewey’s books were translated into Russian by the Bolsheviks: they immediately recognized the importance of his ideas to the Soviet collective communist state.
  1. 1918, “School’s of Tomorrow,” published in Russian.
  2. 1919, “How We Think,” published in Russian.
  3. 1920, “The School and Society,” published in Russian.
  4. 1921, “Democracy and Education,” published in Russian. The English version, of course, became a bible at Columbia Teacher’s College.

2. "At a recent meeting of the New York Teaching Fellows program (“Teach for America”: provides an alternate route to state certification for about 1,700 new teachers annually) , Sol Stern found the one book that the fellows had to read in full was Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by the Brazilian educator Paulo Freire.

This book has achieved near-iconic status in America’s teacher-training programs. In 2003, David Steiner and Susan Rozen published a study examining the curricula of 16 schools of education—14 of them among the top-ranked institutions in the country, according to U.S. News and World Report—and found that Pedagogy of the Oppressed was one of the most frequently assigned texts in their philosophy of education courses.

a. Freire isn’t interested in the Western tradition’s leading education thinkers—... He cites a rather different set of figures: Marx, Lenin, Mao, Che Guevara, and Fidel Castro, as well as the radical intellectuals Frantz Fanon, Régis Debray, Herbert Marcuse, Jean-Paul Sartre, Louis Althusser, and Georg Lukács. And no wonder, since Freire’s main idea is that the central contradiction of every society is between the “oppressors” and the “oppressed” and that revolution should resolve their conflict. The “oppressed” are, moreover, destined to develop a “pedagogy” that leads them to their own liberation.

b. [H]e relies on Marx’s standard formulation that “the class struggle necessarily leads to the dictatorship of the proletariat [and] this dictatorship only constitutes the transition to the abolition of all classes and to a classless society.”
Pedagogy of the Oppressor
Another reason why U.S. ed schools are so awful: the ongoing influence of Brazilian Marxist Paulo Freire

I rammed your lying words right back down your throat, huh?

Hope you enjoyed it.....I did.

What does the US have that China doesn't. Figure it out.

You didn't learn from my previous post???
Clearly you are an intellect rivaled by garden tools.

Communists running the school system who don't have the best interests of American students at heart.

Of course, no communist country puts into effect what our communists impost on our children.

'There’s no evidence that Freirian pedagogy has had much success anywhere in the Third World. Nor have Freire’s favorite revolutionary regimes, like China and Cuba, reformed their own “banking” approaches to education, in which the brightest students are controlled, disciplined, and stuffed with content knowledge for the sake of national goals…only in America’s inner cities have Freirian educators been empowered to “liberate” poor children from an entirely imagined “oppression” and recruit them for a revolution that will never come?"

Now, as I know where your interests lie, so I'd be remiss not to educate you on communist influence in Islamic nations...

If you'd like a crash course, showing the influence of communism, fascism, and Nazism in establishing the murderous Islamist movements we see in the world today....
...just ask.

I'd be more than happy to oblige....It is one more area of my expertise.

Communists running the school system who don't have the best interests of American students at heart.

Of course, no communist country puts into effect what our communists impost on our children.

'There’s no evidence that Freirian pedagogy has had much success anywhere in the Third World. Nor have Freire’s favorite revolutionary regimes, like China and Cuba, reformed their own “banking” approaches to education, in which the brightest students are controlled, disciplined, and stuffed with content knowledge for the sake of national goals…only in America’s inner cities have Freirian educators been empowered to “liberate” poor children from an entirely imagined “oppression” and recruit them for a revolution that will never come?"

Now, as I know where your interests lie, so I'd be remiss not to educate you on communist influence in Islamic nations...

If you'd like a crash course, showing the influence of communism, fascism, and Nazism in establishing the murderous Islamist movements we see in the world today....
...just ask.

Did you just insinuate Pen was about as smart as a Hoe?

...just ask.

Did you just insinuate Pen was about as smart as a Hoe?

Even stronger than 'insinuate.'

Of course, now I'll be getting nasty emails from hoes.

Political chick is one ignorant troll. What she posts is trash and more trash. Her handler must be one busy girl.

Have you noticed how light bends around you?

PC, these Communist trolls HATE ANYONE who is too smart to go for their endless lines of shit and propaganda.
Although I must say, they are NEVER able to ruffle your feathers....as hard as they try.

They can't be educated or reasoned with.

They are, in the truest sense, ....waste product

Have you noticed how light bends around you?

PC, these Communist trolls HATE ANYONE who is too smart to go for their endless lines of shit and propaganda.
Although I must say, they are NEVER able to ruffle your feathers....as hard as they try.

They can't be educated or reasoned with.

They are, in the truest sense, ....waste product

Yer a peach, BHU.....

Thank you.

I have to admit that the Leftists who post the "Sez you!!" posts are not my audience ....we have to remember that 10 read a thread as post in it....and among them there are folks who have been to government school, and never heard the truth.

As in my nest post: how education should be methodized.

Real education involves discipline, and accountability....both from students and teachers.
The student must have a base of knowledge.

Here's proof it works:

1 . The “Massachusetts miracle,” in which Bay State students’ soaring test scores broke records, was the direct consequence of the state legislature’s passage of the 1993 Education Reform Act, which established knowledge-based standards for all grades and a rigorous testing system linked to the new standards. And those standards, Massachusetts reformers have acknowledged, are Hirsch’s legacy.

2. In the new millennium, Massachusetts students have surged upward on the biennial National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)—“the nation’s report card,” as education scholars call it.

On the 2005 NAEP tests, Massachusetts ranked first in the nation in fourth- and eighth-grade reading and fourth- and eighth-grade math. It then repeated the feat in 2007. No state had ever scored first in both grades and both subjects in a single year—let alone for two consecutive test cycles.

On another reliable test, the Trends in International Math and Science Studies, the state’s fourth-graders last year ranked second globally in science and third in math, while the eighth-graders tied for first in science and placed sixth in math. (States can volunteer, as Massachusetts did, to have their students compared with national averages.) The United States as a whole finished tenth.
E. D. Hirsch’s Curriculum for Democracy

Here's the central precept for actually educating students:

"Hirsch was also convinced that the problem of inadequate background knowledge began in the early grades. Elementary school teachers thus had to be more explicit about imparting such knowledge to students—indeed, this was even more important than teaching the “skills” of reading and writing, Hirsch believed. Hirsch’s insight contravened the conventional wisdom in the nation’s education schools: that teaching facts was unimportant, and that students instead should learn “how to” skills. …expanded the argument in a 1983 article, titled “Cultural Literacy,” in The American Scholar."
Ibid.

Forum List

Back