Making a tool...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Seems like every project I undertake requires making a tool, fabricating a jig or modifying an existing tool...today it was a stand to hold a portable metal cutting bandsaw...doesn't look like much, but it will get the job done and only cost the price of a dowel and some screws...and a piece of scrap plate for a table...

3a2810adf8fa32376f07fc22743723094709dbec-1S_1280_crop_384x494.jpg

How often do you have to make or modify a tool to finish a project?

What was the most difficult or creative?

That thing looks dangerous. Be sure to wear a cod-protector.

But seriously, I have had to make or modify small tools for repairing guns.

Seems like every project I undertake requires making a tool, fabricating a jig or modifying an existing tool...today it was a stand to hold a portable metal cutting bandsaw...doesn't look like much, but it will get the job done and only cost the price of a dowel and some screws...and a piece of scrap plate for a table...

View attachment 206791

Dude, that thing's a death trap. Get the proper tools for whatever job you are doing.

Harbor freight sells a very good 5 inch metal bandsaw. Way better than that "thing" you contorted. You took a plumbers tool and tried to make it a metal smiths tool.

View attachment 206791

I love it buddy! That is the type I do in the middle of the night when nothing is open, if I say this getting done today I sure as hell will not let a store's hours stop me from doing what I can! Of course I am a bit of a fan of the dangerous! I

I thought I was creating an all purpose cutting tool for my drill, using a large washer, bolt through it, nut to tighten the round grinder wheel that cuts metal and wood. But on the drill the concept did not function as envisioned no matter how tight the resistance created a loose spin, even as I got it stable it would not cut a pertruding screw, nor a plastic barrel.
Maybe if I try the reverse direction of the drill it will work better not loosening from the resistance, I don't remember if I tried that
*slaps forehead*.

View attachment 206791

Nice one bud. Best effective home made tool I have seen was for adjusting valves on an engine.

Sometimes ya gotta make things yourself!

Shims n seals n things. I don't have a grinder, but I do have about 8 cutting wheels for my Skilsaw.

Why can't step ladder manufacturers market a tool and paint tray to attach to the rounded top rail like the little giant extractable ladder now offers? Doing projects like ceilings by yourself sometimes needs initial 2 hands to line up and set up the ceiling before attaching with a staple or brad nail gun or finish nail gun and trying to grab a tool on the top step is not always easy even for a contortionist. *L* .
Up and down a ladder to get to your pt trays, staples, nails, screws is also not very efficient and makes you less motivated to tackle such jobs.
And how many people are brave enough to place their paint tray next to the ladder risking steping in, turning over, or spilling, so they always have to walk to and from the tray after going up & down.

Forum List

Back