Making a God Of Wrath

The God of wrath was the Old Testament perception of God as understood by people who went through all kinds of trouble and tribulation just as we do. But in their belief, everything that happened was via the hand of God, therefore when everything went to hell in a handbasket, it was because they had screwed up as a people sufficiently to evoke God's wrath.

I think most Christians understand a God who loved us so much, and was willing to forgive so much, that he willingly suffered and died for us. We understand, however, that sin has consequences built into the system, and those consequences can have long reaching effects. As it is expressed in Exodus: The sins of the fathers shall be visited on the children even unto the fourth and fifth generations. Translation: the natural consequences of sin that we commit knowingly or unknowingly may not be obvious to us, but it nevertheless spoils God's perfect creation and there will be consequences.

And there are some who embrace both the God of love and salvation as revealed in the New Testament and also the God of wrath as perceived in the Old Testament. Such people can struggle with the dichotomy inherent in that and still be very good people. A few will also be judgmental and assign their beliefs to others.

But then some Atheists do that too, so we can't realistically blame that on God. :)

It is very unfortunate that some people make rage their god as Sky stated. I do think that some people focus more on the anger side of G-d than on his loving side.

I've seen the extremes on both sides of Christianity which both make me sad. Some Christians seem to ignore the fact that Hell was not made for people but for Satan and his angels(Matthew 25:41). Thus neglecting the fact that any lost soul is precious in the eyes of our loving G-d, but He cannot save you against your will. While those on the opposite side of the pendulum seek to offer false hope to those who do not accept Jesus as their Saviour.

The cliff exists folks, and the fact is that people are falling off it every day. Let's not rejoice in those who stumble at the hand of deception and self ignorance. Instead, let us reach out and help them see the Truth and turn towards their loving maker.

The God of wrath was the Old Testament perception of God as understood by people who went through all kinds of trouble and tribulation just as we do. But in their belief, everything that happened was via the hand of God, therefore when everything went to hell in a handbasket, it was because they had screwed up as a people sufficiently to evoke God's wrath.

I think most Christians understand a God who loved us so much, and was willing to forgive so much, that he willingly suffered and died for us. We understand, however, that sin has consequences built into the system, and those consequences can have long reaching effects. As it is expressed in Exodus: The sins of the fathers shall be visited on the children even unto the fourth and fifth generations. Translation: the natural consequences of sin that we commit knowingly or unknowingly may not be obvious to us, but it nevertheless spoils God's perfect creation and there will be consequences.

:)

Hippy Dippy, Happy Pappy, Feel Good Religion.

Why do you people consistently ignore the fact that Jesus is coming back and will kill some Seven Billion people in the matter of a few days? He is one angry God and He has an agenda. He is coming back on an ass kicking mission and is rather grumpy.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Why do you people consistently ignore the fact that Jesus is coming back and will kill some Seven Billion people in the matter of a few days? He is one angry God and He has an agenda. He is coming back on an ass kicking mission and is rather grumpy.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

And why do you believe that Jesus will do that when hundreds of millions of us don't presume to know what Jesus will do, but do know that he has loved us, died for us, forgiven our sins, and even now, through his Holy Spirit, is teaching us a better way to live and think?

I know a few Christians like you Neubarth. Had a lady call the other day who needed an address/phone number of somebody and I patiently listened to her for a good fifteen minutes as she explained to me how my Church was errant because it preached the love of God, salvation, and how he empowers us. She was convinced if the message was not all about our sin, then it was wrong. God loves her and you. But you're both missing out on so much of the joy.

I have lived a pretty long life already and I am convinced any God small enough for us mortals to have all figured out wouldn't be much of a God. I prefer to go with the God I have experienced up close and personal, a God I don't pretend to fathom or am able to second guess. And I choose to appreciate the joy, confidence, and assurance that has given me that He indeed is a God of love and this life is not all that there is. And I think God is pretty okay with my perceptions about that.

Last edited:
Some people who idenitfy as christians are a whole lot more appealing on this thread than they have been elsewhere. Very uplifting posts, you guys. Thankies.

Some people who idenitfy as christians are a whole lot more appealing on this thread than they have been elsewhere. Very uplifting posts, you guys. Thankies.

The thing is that pure Christianity--that which C.S. Lewis defined as "mere Christianity" or that boiled down to its most fundamental concept, is not a religion so much as it is an experience or a condition of being. Of couse people being people then attach religion to that with rules that must be obeyed, doctrine that must be believed, rituals that must be performed, teachings that must be learned and respected even though almost none of all that came from anything we know about Jesus.

For me it is enough to know that God loves me and he loves you and he loves everybody and wants only the very best for all of us. And I take the admonition to not judge the state of anybody else's soul just as Jesus commanded. That is God's job. Our job is to love him and do our damndest to live our lives as best as we can for him.

Neubarth-- Will you die with a curse on your lips by saying ahh, I love you?

Christians, he's one of yours. You own him.

And you own Tiger Woods. ;)

Is he Buddhist?

Yes. Culturally. Tiger Woods mother was Buddhist. Obvioiusly Tiger broke the third Buddhist precept of sexual misconduct by committing adultery. He can purify that karma if he chooses to. Here are some of Tiger Woods words:

"I have a lot of work to do, and I intend to dedicate myself to doing it. Part of following this path for me is Buddhism, which my mother taught me at a young age. People probably don’t realize it, but I was raised a Buddhist, and I actively practiced my faith from childhood until I drifted away from it in recent years. Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint. Obviously I lost track of what I was taught.

With these words, Woods publicly reclaimed his Buddhist identity, having been raised in the philosophy of Thai Buddhism by his mother. The two key sentences are these: “Buddhism teaches that a craving for things outside ourselves causes an unhappy and pointless search for security. It teaches me to stop following every impulse and to learn restraint.”

Last edited:
Neubarth-- Will you die with a curse on your lips by saying ahh, I love you?

Christians, he's one of yours. You own him.

I don't own anybody, and neither do you.

In fact I'm not even sure I own my own ego.

I think it's just something I have out on long term lease.

I don't ignore it. I'm doing something about it while you run around like a chicken with it's head cut off screaming God hates you.

I don't ignore it. I'm doing something about it while you run around like a chicken with it's head cut off screaming God hates you.

I have never once said God hates you. He is just going to kill all of you and send almost all of you to Hell. That is not hate. That is just divorce.

Sinning is fine with christians as long as you repent before you do it again.

I think most Christians don't enjoy sinning much. Certainly not as much as they did before they asked God to take and change their lives. It's kind of like the alcoholic or drug addict who goes through treatment or spends some time in AA or NA. He may resume abusing whatever substance he is using, but he won't be able to kid himself that it isn't a problem for him anymore. He won't be able to blame it on everything and eveybody else but himself. He might still behave that way. But he'll know better.

Christians may also try to continue to tell themselves they aren't hurting anybody with their sin. But they know better.

I wish Neubarth would experience more of God's love so that he wouldn't find it so easy to be so angry and judgmental of others. Once you really have the relationship, it is easier to understand that you don't shame or scare people out of hell. You introduce them to the One who can show them a glimpse of heaven.

I wish Neubarth would experience more of God's love so that he wouldn't find it so easy to be so angry and judgmental of others. Once you really have the relationship, it is easier to understand that you don't shame or scare people out of hell. You introduce them to the One who can show them a glimpse of heaven.
What you just posted is total satanic bullshit. This "God is Love" crap is the deception of Satan. What Jesus told his followers as regards their relationship with each other is not what he told us to do with those who follow Satan. Approximately 99 percent of the world's population is following Satan and the "Feel Good, Feel God" Happy Hippy false Christian religion that God says he will vomit out of His mouth.

Read your Bible and stop this insane nonsense, or you, too, will be cast into outer darkness.

What you just posted is total satanic bullshit. This "God is Love" crap is the deception of Satan. What Jesus told his followers as regards their relationship with each other is not what he told us to do with those who follow Satan. Approximately 99 percent of the world's population is following Satan and the "Feel Good, Feel God" Happy Hippy false Christian religion that God says he will vomit out of His mouth.

Read your Bible and stop this insane nonsense, or you, too, will be cast into outer darkness.

How self righteously arrogant.

Only women can go to heaven anyway.

There is no self righteousness in my post. I just post God's truth. You can not handle the truth. You want to create a false god to worship, and deny anything in the Bible that does not fit the totally fake image you want to see.

God has promised to turn His back on most of the people of the Earth. He is so fed up with them, he is planning on killing Seven Billion of them.

For once in your life quit denying what the Bible says and wonder why God is divorcing humankind. Could it be that humankind is not very kind?

There have been a few threads on here that outline the dire fates awaiting those of us who do not share the writers' POV on religion. My question to those of you who believe that God is lying in wait for us nonconformists and will do us harm:

Why's that make you so happy?"

There's a gleeful attitude in these Ops, as if the writers cannot wait to see the rest of us punished for being wrong. Sometimes I wonder, do you worship God?

Or have you made a god of Wrath?

What the heck are you talking about? Almost every other thread is about how terrible religion is.....grow up. I'm not bringing up the subject YOU are. In fact most of these threads are brought up by people who just want to argue against religion. I'm getting sick of it. "Why I'm not a Christian" "Why do you believe in God" "This isn't a Christian nation" "Cherry picking Jesus apart". What is it about religion that makes you, and others so upset?

BTW, this is my last post on this thread, I'm sick of people attacking religion just for the sake of attacking religion. And I'm especially sick of defending my religion....it's none of your business what my religion is or why I believe it. I'm not proselytizing YOU are!

I hope you eventually see the light, God Bless You.

Oh, and just so you know, by "see the light" I mean realize how stupid it is to argue religion, not convert to any religion which I'm sure is the first thought that came to your mind.

There is no self righteousness in my post. I just post God's truth. You can not handle the truth. You want to create a false god to worship, and deny anything in the Bible that does not fit the totally fake image you want to see.

God has promised to turn His back on most of the people of the Earth. He is so fed up with them, he is planning on killing Seven Billion of them.

For once in your life quit denying what the Bible says and wonder why God is divorcing humankind. Could it be that humankind is not very kind?

all a moot point since the bible war written by Joos and I do not believe in any supreme being or afterlife.

I have never once said God hates you. He is just going to kill all of you and send almost all of you to Hell. That is not hate. That is just divorce.

you have to hate someone to kill them. ;)

you have to hate someone to kill them. ;)

No ya don't, not if they are shooting at you or they stand in the way of increasing profit.

Forum List

Back