Makes me wonder...

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
is this something we should be okay with? to me, it reeks of 1984, but that's just me. or is it?

Last month, Patrick Courrielche, a Los Angeles-based arts consultant, was invited by the National Endowment for the Arts to join a 75-person conference call “to help lay a new foundation for growth, focusing on core areas of the recovery agenda - health care, energy and environment, safety and security, education, community renewal,’’ according to the invitation.

Pardon me? The taxpayer-funded NEA is trying to recruit sympathetic artists to push the Obama agenda? Yes, it sounds wacky, and it sounded wacky to Courrielche, too. “Artists shouldn’t be used as tools of the state to help create a climate amenable to their positions, which is what appears to be happening in this instance,’’ Courrielche wrote in an Internet post. Speaking on the phone, he explained in greater detail how the organizers - NEA communications director Yosi Sargent, a promoter of Shepard Fairey’s famous “Hope’’ poster; Buffy Wicks, a former Obama field organizer now with the White House Office of Public Engagement, and three others - “said we had the ability to shape the people around us.’’

“The NEA was not created to encourage artists to address issues,’’ he said, and he’s right. State-sponsored agitprop, or agitational propaganda, is a tool usually associated with totalitarian regimes. According to its website, the NEA sucks down about $150 million a year from Congress, to support “excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education.’’ This year, for instance, the endowment gave over $1 million to Massachusetts nonprofits “threatened by declines in philanthropic and other support during the current economic downturn,’’ among other local grants.

The art of agitprop - The Boston Globe

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
is this something we should be okay with? to me, it reeks of 1984, but that's just me. or is it?

Last month, Patrick Courrielche, a Los Angeles-based arts consultant, was invited by the National Endowment for the Arts to join a 75-person conference call “to help lay a new foundation for growth, focusing on core areas of the recovery agenda - health care, energy and environment, safety and security, education, community renewal,’’ according to the invitation.

Pardon me? The taxpayer-funded NEA is trying to recruit sympathetic artists to push the Obama agenda? Yes, it sounds wacky, and it sounded wacky to Courrielche, too. “Artists shouldn’t be used as tools of the state to help create a climate amenable to their positions, which is what appears to be happening in this instance,’’ Courrielche wrote in an Internet post. Speaking on the phone, he explained in greater detail how the organizers - NEA communications director Yosi Sargent, a promoter of Shepard Fairey’s famous “Hope’’ poster; Buffy Wicks, a former Obama field organizer now with the White House Office of Public Engagement, and three others - “said we had the ability to shape the people around us.’’

“The NEA was not created to encourage artists to address issues,’’ he said, and he’s right. State-sponsored agitprop, or agitational propaganda, is a tool usually associated with totalitarian regimes. According to its website, the NEA sucks down about $150 million a year from Congress, to support “excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education.’’ This year, for instance, the endowment gave over $1 million to Massachusetts nonprofits “threatened by declines in philanthropic and other support during the current economic downturn,’’ among other local grants.

Sniff, sniff, eeeewww! Ummmmm.... Something reeks here.

Let's not go back to 1984...

kajagoogoo1.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I'll give BO the benefit of the doubt as to whether he's really pushing to be a dictator but, he sure has got the moves on how dictators get things done down.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Sounds like BS to me.

The NEA did not respond to several requests for comment, but others familiar with the conference call dispute Courrielche's version of events, saying the purpose was a broad pitch for artworks on the theme of public service.

Film Producer Accuses NEA of Enlisting Artists to Push Obama's Domestic Agenda - Political News - FOXNews.com

shocker!

nice touch with the faux news link, too. any port in a storm, eh?

the boston globe and fox are usually in synch-what happened?
:rofl:

That article came from the Boston Globe Democrat?? WOW i'm shocked.

Speaking of 1984 check out CZAR Cass Sunstein. I'm trying to find out more about him....ravi wanna help??? http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/86582-czar-cass-sunstein-who-is-he.html

Sounds like BS to me.

The NEA did not respond to several requests for comment, but others familiar with the conference call dispute Courrielche's version of events, saying the purpose was a broad pitch for artworks on the theme of public service.
Film Producer Accuses NEA of Enlisting Artists to Push Obama's Domestic Agenda - Political News - FOXNews.com

shocker!

I knew you'd like that. ;)

Seriously though, I'd like some audio before I believe this guy. There's nothing wrong with pushing public service, no matter what you wingnuts say...it sounds to me that this "artist" is pushing an agenda that has little if any bearing on reality.

I'll give BO the benefit of the doubt as to whether he's really pushing to be a dictator but, he sure as got the moves on how dictators get things done down.

How true!

Most dictators obtained their positions by recruiting starving artists

shocker!

Seriously though, I'd like some audio before I believe this guy. There's nothing wrong with pushing public service, no matter what you wingnuts say...it sounds to me that this "artist" is pushing an agenda that has little if any bearing on reality.

a) i'm not a wingnut and i would have a problem with any president using art to push his/her agenda, and using tax money to boot.

b) what does audio have to do with it? audio of what?

c) his agenda seems to be that art shouldn't be politicized by the state, why would you disagree with that position?

shocker!

a) i'm not a wingnut and i would have a problem with any president using art to push his/her agenda, and using tax money to boot.

c) his agenda seems to be that art shouldn't be politicized by the state, why would you disagree with that position?
Audio of what was said. Got a link?

How did you feel about "Faith-based Initiatives?"

are you asking me?
i thought they were bad, as in not good, as in borderline unconstitutional.
kinda like presidential signing statements and warrantless wiretaps-thank god those have been abandoned by the current administration as well.

oops. :redface:

I'll give BO the benefit of the doubt as to whether he's really pushing to be a dictator but, he sure as got the moves on how dictators get things done down.

How true!

Most dictators obtained their positions by recruiting starving artists

No. Most dictators start by finding ways to INDOCTRINATE the public. How better than through the art and entertainment industry? Have you watched any NBC primetime programming and watched them slip their political bias in?

The only politics that should be in art should come from the artist. Politicians need to keep their talons out of it unless they make it with their own hands.

what was said when? in any event, no i don't have an audio link.

Pardon me? The taxpayer-funded NEA is trying to recruit sympathetic artists to push the Obama agenda?

Isn't the NEA synonymous with the Democratic Party? That makes it okay.

How did you feel about "Faith-based Initiatives?"

are you asking me?
i thought they were bad, as in not good, as in borderline unconstitutional.
kinda like presidential signing statements and warrantless wiretaps-thank god those have been abandoned by the current administration as well.

oops. :redface:

Yeah no crap, i hated and still hate the patriot act.

It seems obama is actually gathering even more power in the executive branch then bush snatched up....which is amazing to me.

what was said when? in any event, no i don't have an audio link.
During the conference call. This one person made claims but I haven't seen anything that backs up his claims.

Forum List

Back