Make Playlist Suggestions for My 9 Year Old Daughter

I first started listening to Tupac, N.W.A., and the rest when I was around that age. I didn't shoot up any liquor stores. Pretty much the only times I've ever been in violent altercations with people, I've fought in self-defense.

I don't know why the common assumption that listening to "bad" music will make anyone around that age sociopathic or violent either. I've never seen any proof of a causative link between the two.

ya,,...great music for a 9 yr old girl.....you may not of shot up any liquor stores....-but that doesn't mean you have not got a lot of twisted thoughts in that head of yours...

ya,,...great music for a 9 yr old girl.....you may not of shot up any liquor stores....-but that doesn't mean you have not got a lot of twisted thoughts in that head of yours...

I%20don%27t%20give%20a%20rat%27s%20ass.jpg

Hannah Montana / Miley Cyrus
Jonas Brothers
Demi Levato
Ashley Tisdale

You know, the Disney crowd :)

Ditto that. All the 9 yr old girls I know (3 I drive regularly to and from school) are major into Hannah, High School Musical and the Jonas Brothers. My 6 year old is into Hannah big time.

yea, people who don't know what good music is! ha!

have you thought of starting her out with pre-drug addled Beatles? Pre-muslim Cat Stephens? Jackson 5. almost any jazz. Early beach boys. Early Elvis. what, specifically, are you looking for?

9 yr old and good music don't generally go together. It's about what's pop. Pop right now is Disney's music.

I'll add to what I said before by saying that "naughty words" are really pathetic trivialities compared to the lessons that can be learned from listening to socially conscious music that happens to contain profanity and harsh lyrics, often to add effect to the sharpness of their message. (Ice Cube, Eminem, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine.)

I have never seen profanity to "sharpen" a message. Either the message is good or not. The foul language doesn't help in either case.

I've listened to some of the music you suggest. I wouldn't consider it music and at 9 years old, my daughter already knows what good music is.

I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to a good comedian who uses curse words. I've watched Chris Rock, a talented comedian, and while uses the "f" word it doesn't seem to take away from his comic genius.

I suggest music by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, particular their orchestra arrangements of REM, Pink Floyd, Oasis, Queen, U2, and ABBA. They also have a series of classical music (including The Phantom Of The Opera, William Tell Overture, Canon, Ode To Joy) remixed as 'classical disco' in albums titled "Hooked on Classics".

Some YouTube samples:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

[youtube]DAt9ku7-nkY[/youtube]

Shiny Happy People - REM

[youtube]WgOOhM_EzQU[/youtube]

Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

[youtube]mawakI9JC_g[/youtube]

Great suggestions although don't you have to be stone to be listening to Pink Floyd. Just kidding. I had their album as a teenager.

Bohemian Rhapsody is awesome. I had her view Queen's video on YouTube.

I guess I'll be shelling out some dough for this. I don't mind; exposing her to great music is part of her education.

• Thanks
Reactions: XVZ
I first started listening to Tupac, N.W.A., and the rest when I was around that age. I didn't shoot up any liquor stores. Pretty much the only times I've ever been in violent altercations with people, I've fought in self-defense.

I don't know why the common assumption that listening to "bad" music will make anyone around that age sociopathic or violent either. I've never seen any proof of a causative link between the two.

The more I listen to you, the more I don't understand you.

Socially conscious messages can come from better sources.

I have never seen profanity to "sharpen" a message. Either the message is good or not. The foul language doesn't help in either case.

I've listened to some of the music you suggest. I wouldn't consider it music and at 9 years old, my daughter already knows what good music is.

I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to a good comedian who uses curse words. I've watched Chris Rock, a talented comedian, and while uses the "f" word it doesn't seem to take away from his comic genius.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "curse words" except that they've been described as such. The taboo against them originated from the superstitious belief that such words literally had the power to "curse" people, which is known to be untrue today, and from upper class discrimination against terms regarded as being used by "lower classes" or "foreigners." "Cunnilingus," for instance, is derived from the same root word as the word "****," (or if not that, the root words of each are likely derived from the same root word), and is a garbled translation with some relation to "tonguing ****," yet is still considered a "respectable" term to describe the act of giving oral sex to a female, while the word "****" is considered "vulgar." Why is this? (catz will agree with me if you ask her, by the way.)

The words "fuck" and "****," while considered outrageously offensive today, really have no greater meaning than their respective definitions of referring to sexual intercourse and a portion of the female anatomy, and have simply been expanded as general "curse words" in modern usage.

Because of the expansion of these terms, they are often used to express anger or hostility, and can be used for artistic effect in that vein. For instance, the rapper Eminem expresses his discontent towards censorship of his music and the establishment of parental advisory stickers in his satirical song White America.

Eminem said:
So to the parents of America, I am the derringer aimed at little Erica, to attack her Character, the ringleader of this circus of worthless pawns, sent to lead the march right up to The steps of congress, and piss on the lawns of the White House, to burn the casket and replace It with a parental advisory sticker, to spit liquor in the faces of in this democracy of Hypocrisy, fuck you Ms. Cheney, fuck you Tipper Gore, fuck you with the freest of speech this Divided states of embarrassment will allow me to have, fuck you.

So there you go.

The more I listen to you, the more I don't understand you.

Socially conscious messages can come from better sources.

It can. But do you consider classical music offensive? What socially conscious messages can come from instrumental music? I might go so far as to say that classical music is socially detrimental on the grounds that it necessitates vast expenses on costly instruments and performances that could more effectively serve to alleviate poverty, hunger, homelessness, and other negative conditions that continue to afflict society.

I don't regard the only purpose of music as being the expression of "socially conscious" values. That being said, music that contains profanity, whether socially conscious or not, can easily be enjoyed by many, and I am unsure why so many would be intent on denying their children such enjoyment without proof of a causative link between profane or violent music and anti-social behavior.

There's nothing inherently wrong with "curse words" except that they've been described as such. The taboo against them originated from the superstitious belief that such words literally had the power to "curse" people, which is known to be untrue today, and from upper class discrimination against terms regarded as being used by "lower classes" or "foreigners." "Cunnilingus," for instance, is derived from the same root word as the word "****," (or if not that, the root words of each are likely derived from the same root word), and is a garbled translation with some relation to "tonguing ****," yet is still considered a "respectable" term to describe the act of giving oral sex to a female, while the word "****" is considered "vulgar." Why is this? (catz will agree with me if you ask her, by the way.)

The words "fuck" and "****," while considered outrageously offensive today, really have no greater meaning than their respective definitions of referring to sexual intercourse and a portion of the female anatomy, and have simply been expanded as general "curse words" in modern usage.

Because of the expansion of these terms, they are often used to express anger or hostility, and can be used for artistic effect in that vein. For instance, the rapper Eminem expresses his discontent towards censorship of his music and the establishment of parental advisory stickers in his satirical song White America.

So there you go.

It can. But do you consider classical music offensive? What socially conscious messages can come from instrumental music? I might go so far as to say that classical music is socially detrimental on the grounds that it necessitates vast expenses on costly instruments and performances that could more effectively serve to alleviate poverty, hunger, homelessness, and other negative conditions that continue to afflict society.

I don't regard the only purpose of music as being the expression of "socially conscious" values. That being said, music that contains profanity, whether socially conscious or not, can easily be enjoyed by many, and I am unsure why so many would be intent on denying their children such enjoyment without proof of a causative link between profane or violent music and anti-social behavior.

Social mores and the norm of where I live say that cursing is the language of inarticulate people. It demeans the person who uses it as well as those around him. Consider this: Does it make you feel good when someone curses at you? (I'm not talking about in the bedroom, because the rules there are different in my house.)

Yes, I agree that musical instruments can be costly, but so are ipods, big screen TV's, and computers and there doesn't seem to be any dearth of those in poor neighborhoods. People make sacricifices all the time so that their children can have music lessons. To this day, I'm appreciative of the piano and violin lessons I received as child. I pass this tradition on to my own children. Classical music would not have survived the centuries if people didn't think they were worth listening to.

You make my argument that music doesn't need to have a socially conscious message to make it good.

I believe you are just being devil's advocate here. ;)

Social mores and the norm of where I live say that cursing is the language of inarticulate people. It demeans the person who uses it as well as those around him. Consider this: Does it make you feel good when someone curses at you? (I'm not talking about in the bedroom, because the rules there are different in my house.)

Yes, I agree that musical instruments can be costly, but so are ipods, big screen TV's, and computers and there doesn't seem to be any dearth of those in poor neighborhoods. People make sacricifices all the time so that their children can have music lessons. To this day, I'm appreciative of the piano and violin lessons I received as child. I pass this tradition on to my own children. Classical music would not have survived the centuries if people didn't think they were worth listening to.

You make my argument that music doesn't need to have a socially conscious message to make it good.

I believe you are just being devil's advocate here. ;)

That may be the "belief" of "social mores," but that would merely be a specific and arbitrary rule of "etiquette," as relative as the practice of eating or not eating with one's hands, either of which will appall some and be considered normal by others. There's certainly no rational purpose for objection to profanity, and rational people should have no objections to its usage. I don't know what these "bedroom rules" are, but uh...moving on. ;)

And perhaps iPods, big screen TV's, and computers ought to be considered commodities of the same nature as musical instruments, (particularly iPods, while TV's and computers have far more practical purposes in many instances), and should not be prized before the fundamental necessities and utilities of others. I would encourage you to read Famine, Affluence, and Morality.

And going back to rap music, if your daughter liked it and wanted to listen to it, what would your objection to that be?

I'm usually the devil's advocate. ;)

this is what analpostrate would slap in the cd player to rasie your daughters conscience
if she consented to a date with him...

nwa
get it all baby ..
get it all baby ..
get it all baby ..
"what you want me to do with it?"
don't matter just don't bite it
she swallowed it ..
suck this dick for daddy
she swallowed it ..
usin' that lips
she swallowed it ..
it's the world's biggest dick
"what do you want me to do with it?"

Slow is the tempo
Now talkin' but an info
So peep it up here goes the info
This is the bitches and the ho's crew
She get it as much we make bets on who's the ho's we'd love to go through
And for the shit that she does give her a drum role
Because the dumb bitch licks out the asshole
And a list of videotaper
And if you got a gang of niggaz, the bitch would let you rape her
She likes suckin' on dicks, and lickin' up nutz
And they even take de broomstick at the butt
Just to say that she did it with a rapper
But the pussy was more fishy than red snapper
"But how many licks would it take" She ax's
"To make MC Ren start gooshin' up vanilla shake"
She took her tongue out her mouth, put it on top
Like a cherry, started movin' it like a snake and it was very Irresistable
I could'nt pay the bitch to quit
'cause the ho' was doin' some ole' crazy shit
That made me start havin' a fit'
'cause the bitch sucks de hellified dick .. [suck this dick]

"It's the world's biggest dick"
Don't matter just don't bite it
"What do you want me to do with it?"
She swallowed it .. Get it all baby!

Now one night night I was at a drive-in
And a car full of niggaz straight drove in
I thought they wuz commin' to start trouble but no
Five niggaz in the back it was de neighborhood ho'
Now what do you expect they're gonna dogg her like a doggy
Thirty minutes later and the windowz are all foggy
And I'm off in my car havin' a fit' 'cause de bitch that I'm with
Sayz no fuckin' on the 1st date shit
Now I'm like - Damn! I wish I was in the bucket
To be with 6 niggaz with the ho' and I can fuck it
So I told de ho' I was with that I'm goin' to de snack bar -
And got de fuck out de car.
Went to the bucket and I looked through the window
It was some niggaz that I knew they let me in yo
And my turn was like next
I could'nt see a face, all I saw was de pussy and the chest
I wanted to see the face, I felt the order
Peep over the seat - OH SHIT! it's the preacher's doughter!
And she's only 14 and a ho'
But the bitch sucks dick like a specialized pro
She looked at me, I was surprised
But was it passin' up the chance of my dick gettin' backtide
I told the bitch to do it quick :
"You little ho' hurry up and suck my dick!"

Now I'm a break it down with a fact -
Since the last "Just don't bite it" girls don't know how to act
Sayin' that they never would suck a dick
But when they've tried it they could'nt quit
'cause not even bustin' the bitches today they love the shit
And those are the main one's that say they don't do it
But MC Ren knowz the bitches are used to it
So fellows, next time they try to tell a lie
That they never suck a dick punch the bitch in the eye
And then the ho' will fall to the ground
Then you'll open up her mouth -
Put your dick in and move the shit around
And she'll catch on and start doin' it on de raw
Actin' like she's tryin' to suck a meet off a chicken bone
And then she won't let go
Because bitches suck nutt out of a dick just like dreino
Get the last drop, unclog in de back
Then the stupid bitch is at that with the same shit de next night
Because she just can't quit
'cause she's addicted, addicted, addicted, addicted
she's addicted, addicted, she's addicted to suck a good dick

NWA - SHE SWALLOWED IT LYRICS

• Thanks
Reactions: XVZ
We decided to give our daughter an MP3 player loaded with some age appropriate songs for her birthday.

I hope this doesn't cost me a fortune.

Any good songs out there? She loves all varieties except rap. And of course no Madonna songs. She's been banned in my house.

Vivaldi - Le Quattro Stagioni
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique

Don't forget to throw in some Bach, Brahms and Beethoven.

this is what analpostrate would slap in the cd player to rasie your daughters conscience
if she consented to a date with him...

nwa
get it all baby ..
get it all baby ..
get it all baby ..
"what you want me to do with it?"
she swallowed it ..
suck this dick for daddy
she swallowed it ..
usin' that lips
she swallowed it ..
it's the world's biggest dick
"what do you want me to do with it?"

Slow is the tempo
Now talkin' but an info
So peep it up here goes the info
This is the bitches and the ho's crew
She get it as much we make bets on who's the ho's we'd love to go through
And for the shit that she does give her a drum role
Because the dumb bitch licks out the asshole
And a list of videotaper
And if you got a gang of niggaz, the bitch would let you rape her
She likes suckin' on dicks, and lickin' up nutz
And they even take de broomstick at the butt
Just to say that she did it with a rapper
But the pussy was more fishy than red snapper
"But how many licks would it take" She ax's
"To make MC Ren start gooshin' up vanilla shake"
She took her tongue out her mouth, put it on top
Like a cherry, started movin' it like a snake and it was very Irresistable
I could'nt pay the bitch to quit
'cause the ho' was doin' some ole' crazy shit
That made me start havin' a fit'
'cause the bitch sucks de hellified dick .. [suck this dick]

Now one night night I was at a drive-in
And a car full of niggaz straight drove in
I thought they wuz commin' to start trouble but no
Five niggaz in the back it was de neighborhood ho'
Now what do you expect they're gonna dogg her like a doggy
Thirty minutes later and the windowz are all foggy
And I'm off in my car havin' a fit' 'cause de bitch that I'm with
Sayz no fuckin' on the 1st date shit
Now I'm like - Damn! I wish I was in the bucket
To be with 6 niggaz with the ho' and I can fuck it
So I told de ho' I was with that I'm goin' to de snack bar -
And got de fuck out de car.
Went to the bucket and I looked through the window
It was some niggaz that I knew they let me in yo
And my turn was like next
I could'nt see a face, all I saw was de pussy and the chest
I wanted to see the face, I felt the order
Peep over the seat - OH SHIT! it's the preacher's doughter!
And she's only 14 and a ho'
But the bitch sucks dick like a specialized pro
She looked at me, I was surprised
But was it passin' up the chance of my dick gettin' backtide
I told the bitch to do it quick :
"You little ho' hurry up and suck my dick!"

Now I'm a break it down with a fact -
Since the last "Just don't bite it" girls don't know how to act
Sayin' that they never would suck a dick
But when they've tried it they could'nt quit
'cause not even bustin' the bitches today they love the shit
And those are the main one's that say they don't do it
But MC Ren knowz the bitches are used to it
So fellows, next time they try to tell a lie
That they never suck a dick punch the bitch in the eye
And then the ho' will fall to the ground
Then you'll open up her mouth -
Put your dick in and move the shit around
And she'll catch on and start doin' it on de raw
Actin' like she's tryin' to suck a meet off a chicken bone
And then she won't let go
Because bitches suck nutt out of a dick just like dreino
Get the last drop, unclog in de back
Then the stupid bitch is at that with the same shit de next night
Because she just can't quit
'cause she's addicted, addicted, addicted, addicted
she's addicted, addicted, she's addicted to suck a good dick

NWA - SHE SWALLOWED IT LYRICS

What a horrible lie...no one uses CD players anymore. :lol:

CREEPY!

anyway, i still say you save the kid from embarrassing childhood music memories and add some pre-islam cat stephens and pre-lsd beatles.

[youtube]kGNxKnLmOH4&[/youtube]

[youtube]lfsvE4j4ExA[/youtube]

New Topics

Forum List

Back