Make Playlist Suggestions for My 9 Year Old Daughter

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
We decided to give our daughter an MP3 player loaded with some age appropriate songs for her birthday.

I hope this doesn't cost me a fortune.

Any good songs out there? She loves all varieties except rap. And of course no Madonna songs. She's been banned in my house.

Well, you should start out with any track off of Cannibal Corpse's paramount second album, "Tomb of the Mutilated" including, but not limited to, "Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's ****", "I Cum Blood" or the Ace Ventura Pet Detective track "Hammer Smashed Face".

Then, you might wanna add some religious music from the guys of Slayer. I suggest anything off of the "Reign In Blood", "South of Heaven" or "Seasons in the Abyss" albums. Don't forget something from their latest offering: Christ Illusion. Indeed, the title track is good clean fun.

I'd toss in some oldies next. Maybe a few tracks off of any album during the 1980s from the following bands: Anthrax (persistance of time), Metallica (up to Justice), Megadeth (So far, so good, so what), Maiden, Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil) and the like. Don't forget the occasional one hit wonders and variational genres including Tool, Helmet, Biohazard, Pantera, Sepultura, White Zombie etc.

Lastly, make sure the kid understands where this music came from. While it's been disputed by some laymen the fact remains that if there were no Black Sabbath there would be no righteous metal music. My choice would be, of course, my favorite Sabbath tune:

[youtube]HWxYTDa6lgs[/youtube]

Well, you should start out with any track off of Cannibal Corpse's paramount second album, "Tomb of the Mutilated" including, but not limited to, "Entrails Ripped from a Virgin's ****", "I Cum Blood" or the Ace Ventura Pet Detective track "Hammer Smashed Face".

Then, you might wanna add some religious music from the guys of Slayer. I suggest anything off of the "Reign In Blood", "South of Heaven" or "Seasons in the Abyss" albums. Don't forget something from their latest offering: Christ Illusion. Indeed, the title track is good clean fun.

I'd toss in some oldies next. Maybe a few tracks off of any album during the 1980s from the following bands: Anthrax (persistance of time), Metallica (up to Justice), Megadeth (So far, so good, so what), Maiden, Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil) and the like. Don't forget the occasional one hit wonders and variational genres including Tool, Helmet, Biohazard, Pantera, Sepultura, White Zombie etc.

Lastly, make sure the kid understands where this music came from. While it's been disputed by some laymen the fact remains that if there were no Black Sabbath there would be no righteous metal music. My choice would be, of course, my favorite Sabbath tune:

[youtube]HWxYTDa6lgs[/youtube]

You're not coming within 10 feet of my daughter! LOL! BTW, some of that heavy metal stuff has been used to torture people. Ha ha.

yea, people who don't know what good music is! ha!

have you thought of starting her out with pre-drug addled Beatles? Pre-muslim Cat Stephens? Jackson 5. almost any jazz. Early beach boys. Early Elvis. what, specifically, are you looking for?

have you thought of starting her out with pre-drug addled Beatles? Pre-muslim Cat Stephens? Jackson 5. almost any jazz. Early beach boys. Early Elvis. what, specifically, are you looking for?

Well, with a daughter recently coming out of that same age range, I've got some ideas.

I'd prefer the ones you mention, of course. I'd toss in some Buddy Holly as well.

Those are more like it. We like disco music like ABBA, great saxophone music, opera, classical, and even some really old kids songs that she could sing to like ... "Hello Mother, Hello Father..." I forget the name. She even likes Josh Groban! I had him on the other day and she stopped playing with her brother to listen to it.

Here is some stuff my kids like (daughter is 15, son is 10). We've seen the first 4 acts live together:

Relient K - Sadie Hawkins Dance, anything else (they're Christian and their music is pretty wholesome)

MxPx - anything, they are semi-Christian punk rockers. I'd recommend You Make Me, Me and More Everything.

Mae - also Christian, but still cool - MySpace.com - MAE - Virginia Beach, Virginia - www.myspace.com/mae
Songs: Summertime, Embers and Envelopes, Just Let Go

Anges & Airwaves - The Adventure

Dashboard Confessional - Stolen

Finger Eleven - One Thing

Flaming Lips - Fight Test

The Fray - Look After You, How to Save a Life

Green Day - Holiday, Wake Me Up When September Ends

Ingrid Michaelson - The Way I Am

Ben Folds Five - Lullabye
Lit - Lullabye

Rise Against - Swing Life Away

All American Rejects - Swing, Swing; My Paper Heart; Your Star; Time Stands Still

Barenaked Ladies - Light Up My Room, One Week

COldplay - Strawberry Swing, Viva La Vida, Clocks, Yellow

jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Landon Pigg - Love in a Coffee Shop

Modest Mouse - Little Motel, Float On

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole (on the soundtrack for Twilight, if she's old enough to like that)

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade

Natasha Beddingfield - Unwritten

New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On

Quietdrive - Time After Time

Rogue Wave - Lake Michigan, Debaser

Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, Chocolate, Signal Fire

Hum - Stars

Stone Roses - Waterfall

Weezer - Only in Dreams, Pork and Beans, Island in the Sun

Also, throw on some 70s and 80s stuff:

The Cure - Just Like Heaven, Friday I'm in Love, Pictures of You
Modern English - I Melt With You
Earth Wind & Fire - September, Boogie WOnderland, Sing a Song
Echo & the Bunnymen - Lips like Sugar
The English Beat - Save it for Later
The Clash - Should I stay or Should I go
Alphaville - Forever Young

My best advice - plan on listening to a lot of new music in the next 8-10 years.

p.s. The songs above contain NO profanity, and are basically wholesome in message, but are also contemporary enough to make her rather cutting edge with her peers.

Last edited:
Also, if you don't have a lot of music on your computer (I think we have about 8,000 songs on a removable hard drive), you might want to download utorrent and download a lot of it. That way you can just snag one song from an album, versus buying the entire thing. I also recommend Itunes online if you have ethical issues with stealing music, just buy a single song by a particular artist.

You just have to watch for viruses.

Also, if you don't have a lot of music on your computer (I think we have about 8,000 songs on a removable hard drive), you might want to download utorrent and download a lot of it. That way you can just snag one song from an album, versus buying the entire thing. I also recommend Itunes online if you have ethical issues with stealing music, just buy a single song by a particular artist.

You just have to watch for viruses.

Thank you Catz for taking the time to make such an extensive list. I will look into those.

I have some CD's so I can rip them onto the player.

Thanks for all your tips. I'm fairly new at this so I'll take all the advice I can get.

how's about tom waits and rickey lee jones....just preview the songs....toss in some allison krause and union station....then some blues...cant go wrong with the blues

This is a great opportunity to introduce her to a large variety of music...and to get her into the habit of listening to music other than what is put out by the Disney crowd...catz had some truly great recommendations.

When I was about 10, my older brother bought Paul Simon's "Graceland" album...I remember loving pretty much every song on the album....Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes and You Can Call Me Al are good places to start.

When I was about 10, my older brother bought Paul Simon's "Graceland" album...I remember loving pretty much every song on the album....Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes and You Can Call Me Al are good places to start.

My kids love those songs, also.

One thing you can do that will help her a lot is build playlists in i-tunes. IF she is the only one in the family to have an I-pod, then any playlist in your library will be captured on her ipod. If you have more than one ipod, it's an idea to have separate libraries for each. Otherwise, you will all be mucking with each other's ipods all the time.

Those are more like it. We like disco music like ABBA, great saxophone music, opera, classical, and even some really old kids songs that she could sing to like ... "Hello Mother, Hello Father..." I forget the name. She even likes Josh Groban! I had him on the other day and she stopped playing with her brother to listen to it.
I suggest music by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, particular their orchestra arrangements of REM, Pink Floyd, Oasis, Queen, U2, and ABBA. They also have a series of classical music (including The Phantom Of The Opera, William Tell Overture, Canon, Ode To Joy) remixed as 'classical disco' in albums titled "Hooked on Classics".

Some YouTube samples:

Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

[youtube]DAt9ku7-nkY[/youtube]

Shiny Happy People - REM

[youtube]WgOOhM_EzQU[/youtube]

Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

[youtube]mawakI9JC_g[/youtube]

I first started listening to Tupac, N.W.A., and the rest when I was around that age. I didn't shoot up any liquor stores. Pretty much the only times I've ever been in violent altercations with people, I've fought in self-defense.

I don't know why the common assumption that listening to "bad" music will make anyone around that age sociopathic or violent either. I've never seen any proof of a causative link between the two.

I remember when I was very young my mother started brainwashing my music taste. Am I ever grateful she did. Never ONCE did I even think of buying any of that late 90s teen pop shit all the other kids liked. These are some of the albums I remember most fondly (and the song I think really hooked me):

Yes - Fragile (Long Distance Runaround)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)
Cat Stevens - Catch the Bull at Four (Sitting)
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (Strawberry Fields Forever)
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)
The Kinks - Lola Vs. Powerman & The Money-Go-Round (Strangers)
Queen - A Night at the Opera (Death On Two Legs)
Queen - A Day at the Races (The Millionaire Waltz)
Soundtrack - Jesus Christ Superstar (Heaven on their Minds)
Soundtrack - Tommy (Pinball Wizard... Yeah, I know, I like the soundtrack better than the album. Crucify me.)

So yeah, I recommend any of these for children of all ages. And you should go ahead and start her on some good classical and jazz early. Why wait till you're old and decrepit to enjoy real art?

I'll add to what I said before by saying that "naughty words" are really pathetic trivialities compared to the lessons that can be learned from listening to socially conscious music that happens to contain profanity and harsh lyrics, often to add effect to the sharpness of their message. (Ice Cube, Eminem, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine.)

Forum List

Back