Make College Free Without Spending A Dime

But but, if we make college free or even just affordable all the poor people will go, get educated, and toss out the rich elites on their ass. :)

Im with you except that I believe that to qualify for a free education , students should have to agree to work for the government in their field wherever their state needs them for one calender year for every year they got free college.

Meaning if you want to be a doctor, you can get free college, but then you are a doctor at a state ran clinic/hospital wherever your state assigns you.

If you want to go to college out of state, you are on your own.

That would give all students who want to get a college degree a free option to do so.

ac774315db21fa8cb5423bd29a0d2106b630dd2adbe68890613b5f495020e4e1.jpg

It would be easier if all those instructors got with the program and worked without pay. For the joy of teaching! In support of the working classes! For patriotism.

Oh wait....that last one was the joy-killer.

Never mind.

>

As a parent of two children that recently graduated from the University, I just thought I'd point our that tuition isn't the only cost of going to college.

There are things like living space (dorm or renting a room), food, books, travel, personal expenses (basics of clothes, soap, toothpaste, etc.) that all add into that time frame.

Just checked the State school my daughter attended the tuition is $9,800. But that no where near the cost of a years education.

>>>>

That would give all students who want to get a college degree a free option to do so.

I think everyone understands what that word actually means.

My question for you is, if the free that the rest of us are paying for is actually less than what we are spending now, what precisely is the problem?

This is the part where you tell me that government is going to do this cheaper than the Private Sector...right, Disir? Because as we all know EVERYTHING the government does...it does efficiently and at a lower cost than the anyone else...right?:slap:

My question for you is, if the free that the rest of us are paying for is actually less than what we are spending now, what precisely is the problem?

This is the part where you tell me that government is going to do this cheaper than the Private Sector...right, Disir? Because as we all know EVERYTHING the government does...it does efficiently and at a lower cost than the anyone else...right?:slap:

It usually does. So, outside of ideology, do you have anything else?

You honestly believe that the government usually does things more efficiently and at a lower cost than the Private Sector? Really?:eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

You honestly believe that the government usually does things more efficiently and at a lower cost than the Private Sector? Really?:eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

No overhead. That's right out of the gate.

Shall I go on?

Publicly funded higher education is an investment in the country. Whether it is a net gain or net loss is beyond my scope, and ultimately wouldn't matter on this forum since nearly everybodies minds are already made up on every issue.

I would however suggest, that if higher education was publicly funded, that a minimum grade would need to be maintained in order to be eligible.

No overhead. That's right out of the gate.

Shall I go on?

I can't think of an organization ever created by mankind more prone to "overhead" than government, Disir!

If you want it to take twice as long and cost three times as much...let the government do it! That's an old saw but it exists because it's so spot on.

Let's be honest with ourselves here...if we want to make higher education less expensive the answer is right there in front of us. The internet. I know the legions of tenured professors who are ensconced in colleges across the country won't love this idea but why do we need thousands of people standing in front a classroom full of students giving essentially the same lecture? Take the best teachers...have them give their lectures to a vast internet audience so that the cost can be kept extremely low because of a REAL lack of overhead and you could cut the cost of education to a fraction of what it is now! Or we can have the government take it over and make it much more expensive than it is now. Your choice...

Forum List

Back