Majority of Americans DO PAY Federal Income Taxes

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
All the reports on this is that 50% of Americans of majority age don't pay Federal income taxes (actually the number was 46%)!!! This is a true statement, but the devil is in the details.

'46% in U.S. don't pay taxes' only half the story - SFGate

In that 46%, they are also including people on SOCIAL SECURITY! Social security benefits are not taxed! 22% (55 million Americans) of ALL Americans are on social security and 3/4 of that are retirees. Most of these retirees were tax payors before being on SS.

Social Security Adminstration: Social Security Basic Facts

So take the 22% of Americans on Social Security out of the equation. Now you have 78% of non-minor Americans left. Since that 22% is pealed away from the 46% that don't pay taxes. What are the percentage of non-SS Americans that pay federal income taxes. I bet it shifts to more 70-30% payors vs non-payors.

And don't forget everyone pays the payroll tax.

And don't forget everyone pays the payroll tax.

1)what they paid before retirement doesn't change the fact that 46% don't pay taxes now.

2) all Americans should pay, especially those on the dole, so they have more to do in life than merely lobby for more and more welfare.

3) Most importantly, all Americans should pay the same $ amount since all Americans benefit equally from the government. Do the poor get more national defense than the rich? In fact since the poor actually get more of the benefits and are 100% dependent on government they should pay more than the rich! At least they must have skin in the game.

1)what they paid before retirement doesn't change the fact that 46% don't pay taxes now.
And it does matter that 22% of Americans are on social security and social security benefits SHOULD NOT be taxed.

2) all Americans should pay, especially those on the dole, so they have more to do in life than merely lobby for more and more welfare.
First, social security isn't welfare. Second, the thread isn't about that. When people say 46% don't pay taxes their is a good chunk of them on social security and they paid taxes their entire life. The 46% is misleading!

3) Most importantly, all Americans should pay the same $ amount since all Americans benefit equally from the government. Do the poor get more national defense than the rich? In fact since the poor actually get more of the benefits and are 100% dependent on government they should pay more than the rich! At least they must have skin in the game.
If that amount is at 9% then I agree. It that flat rate is at 20% Fed Income and 6.2-7.5% payroll, then I say no way!

First, social security isn't welfare.

of course it is!! they rip off their children in retirement by using government violence instead of supporting themselves!! Its deplorable and liberal

Second, the thread isn't about that. When people say 46% don't pay taxes their is a good chunk of them on social security and they paid taxes their entire life. The 46% is misleading!

so what!!! If someone paid taxes before it does not mean they pay them now!! THey live here now and they should pay now. They should have skin in the game, not just be looking for more and more welfare from their kids and grandchildren. Its deplorable disgusting and perfectly liberal of course

[

You do not pay payroll taxes.
Your employer does.
The figure is and continues to be true, it can't be helped that the media in trying to dispute a supposed fallacy - uses one themselves.
The correct statement is ..."53% of wage earners have zero or even a negative income tax liability"
Therefore - you cannot count what your employer pays on your benefit - because that is not YOUR liability.

Last edited:
Majority of Americans DO PAY Federal Income Taxes

All the reports on this is that 50% of Americans of majority age don't pay Federal income taxes...
This thread started out great and then went crazy. We got no reports that "50% of Americans of majority age don't pay Federal income taxes", and until we see them all we've got is that they're imaginary.

What could have been said is that the 179 million that the IRS says paid income taxes divided by the 309 million that the Census Bur. says is the US population, equals 58%. Everything else is a loopy leftist muddle.

Every worker pays something into the FEDERAL system.

Right now, the minimum deduction is about 7.5% of one's gross.

Everyone pays taxes.

But I don' understand Republicans. It seems they want to take away what little poor people have so they can feel good about giving them a tiny bit if charity.

No.
If that same worker received more back in a federal refund than they paid in - their net taxes are negative...they not only paid nothing, but actually received money from the IRS.

Everyone pays taxes.

But I don' understand Republicans. It seems they want to take away what little poor people have so they can feel good about giving them a tiny bit if charity.

No, we just don't think that people that don't have to pay federal income tax should have cell phones or cable tv.

Everyone pays taxes.

No, we just don't think that people that don't have to pay federal income tax should have cell phones or cable tv.

It isn't the cell phones that matter - it is the fact they are SMART phones with every bell and the best plan you can get.
It isn't that they have cable TV...it is that they watch it on a 55" flatscreen with an XBox 360 and a library of video games beneath it.

Everyone pays taxes.

It isn't the cell phones that matter - it is the fact they are SMART phones with every bell and the best plan you can get.
It isn't that they have cable TV...it is that they watch it on a 55" flatscreen with an XBox 360 and a library of video games beneath it.

I agree. I didn't want to get that specific for fear of being labeled a racist.

Yes Every worker who works pays about 7.5% of their gross to the FEDS.

If that same worker received more back in a federal refund than they paid in - their net taxes are negative...they not only paid nothing, but actually received money from the IRS.

Yes, that IS true. But the above does not refute my point

Every worker whose income ais taxed, pays at least 7.5% of their gross to the FED.

AS the GOP tells us that people don't pay taxes, and as everybody who works sees that (at least) 7.5% deduction, that BIG LIE doesn't jibe with people's REALITY.

Keep advancing that BIG LIE.

It only serves to show people that the GOP lies.

Your employer does.
The figure is and continues to be true, it can't be helped that the media in trying to dispute a supposed fallacy - uses one themselves.
The correct statement is ..."53% of wage earners have zero or even a negative income tax liability"
Therefore - you cannot count what your employer pays on your benefit - because that is not YOUR liability.

Actually, 1/2 of the payroll tax is deducted from the employee's pay and the other half is paid by the employer.

Every worker whose income ais taxed, pays at least 7.5% of their gross to the FED.

AS the GOP tells us that people don't pay taxes, and as everybody who works sees that (at least) 7.5% deduction, that BIG LIE doesn't jibe with people's REALITY.

With all due respect...your post above is just dumb. Just...dumb.

Nobody ever - EVER - only considers what a person pays in each week - and counts this as how much taxes you pay. It is ALWAYS after you file.
Trying to pretend that this same person doesn't get a giant windfall in April....is just...dumb.

Your employer does.
I hope your not being serious. You pay 6.2-7.5% in payroll taxes and your employer pays an addition 7.5%. You both pay.

The media runs with the 46% number they don't take into account EVER that 22% of Americans are on social security.

Come again!:confused:

Employee payroll taxes range between 6.2-7.5%, but I am talking about the Federal Income tax. But you are right to say everyone pays something.

You are being dishonest. The GOP never says people don't pay taxes. They say that 46% of Americans don't pay Federal Income taxes. That is a true statement. I say it's misleading, since 22% of Americans receive justifiably tax free social security benefits.

Your employer does.
I hope your not being serious. You pay 6.2-7.5% in payroll taxes and your employer pays an addition 7.5%. You both pay.

The media runs with the 46% number they don't take into account EVER that 22% of Americans are on social security.

Come again!:confused:

I am an employer who pays payroll taxes, so I am familiar enough.
The statement about 53% (or whatever the current number is)...it assumes the listener knows you are referring to NET taxes after filing, as well as your PERSONAL out-of-pocket federal income taxes paid.

I am an employer who pays payroll taxes, so I am familiar enough.

If that's true, why don't you know that the employee has half of payroll taxes deducted from their salary? Not half this year, because of the tax break, but half most years and still some ALWAYS.

New Topics

Forum List

Back