Majority Now Want Tax Cuts To Stimulate Economy

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
Recent poll shows a majority of Americans want across the board tax cuts for EVERYBODY in order to stimulate the still-stagnant American economy. Only 34% oppose such a tax cut.

This same poll shows only 26% believe President Obama has accomplished his campaign promise to cut taxes.

Related poll shows nearly 80% of Americans dissatisfied with government spending, and two-thirds of Americans want a government with fewer services and lower taxes.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have red alert at the Obama White House...

Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Recent poll shows a majority of Americans want across the board tax cuts for EVERYBODY in order to stimulate the still-stagnant American economy. Only 34% oppose such a tax cut.

This same poll shows only 26% believe President Obama has accomplished his campaign promise to cut taxes.

Related poll shows nearly 80% of Americans dissatisfied with government spending, and two-thirds of Americans want a government with fewer services and lower taxes.

Yep, part of the dissonance I was referring to on another thread. The issues and approval ratings are growing to far apart to sustain. Somethings going to give, which probably won't change the issues results.

:lol: , The big gub'ment cheerleaders pulled the pin on the out of control, irresponsible spending hand grenade it's gonna be so satisfying watching as it blows up in their faces....

Actually, I am for tax cuts and extra spending during economic downtimes. But then I am also for bailouts and Government part owning certain corporations(not to take absolute control of them, but to buy out the investors)

So I guess I am a big government type that want a tax cut. Who knew?

Actually, I am for tax cuts and extra spending during economic downtimes. But then I am also for bailouts and Government part owning certain corporations(not to take absolute control of them, but to buy out the investors)

Not quite, tax cuts without corresponding decreases in spending are actually tax hikes, since you have to borrow to cover the difference in revenue intake and borrowing involves debt service which will eventually have to be covered at some point by increasing revenue intake (higher taxes).

So you're just a big government type that wants more out of control spending, TANSTAFL.

Not quite, tax cuts without corresponding decreases in spending are actually tax hikes, since you have to borrow to cover the difference in revenue intake and borrowing involves debt service which will eventually have to be covered at some point by increasing revenue intake (higher taxes).

So you're just a big government type that wants more out of control spending, TANSTAFL.

Well said.

Cut taxes AND cut spending.

It's pretty damn simple economics.

Perhaps a few more people in this country are starting to realize that.

I guess Obama supporters are finally realizing that Obama is not going to pay off their home, provide a monthly gas card, or pay their car loan off... LOL

I guess Obama supporters are finally realizing that Obama is not going to pay off their home, provide a monthly gas card, or pay their car loan off... LOL

Larry Summers was out today trying to explain the administration's overall economic plan...and it fell flat.

The guy sounds and looks moronic.

And the fact he was marched out to do so, is further evidence there is a crisis mentality brewing within the White House.

The internal polling data cannot be good...

Of course, Iwas talking of down times.

What I want for upswings in the economy are tax hikes and spending cuts. Now am I Big Government type??

My economic policies is dependent on the economic conditions at hand. If things are souring, give it a stimulus, when things are improving, try to generate a surplus and save for the down turn.

Well said.

What if I cut taxes, cut spending, yet I still generate a deficit? This during an upswing. Is that still sound economics? I say no, but the Republicans have done it for years and years!!!

Well said.

What if I cut taxes, cut spending, yet I still generate a deficit? This during an upswing. Is that still sound economics? I say no, but the Republicans have done it for years and years!!!

Incorrect.

There has been far too few examples of significant reductions in spending by government to correlate with sound reductions in taxes.

Once again - Reduce Spending and Cut Taxes.

Simple.

there is no such thing as trickle down economics. :cuckoo:

didn't you ijits learn anything from the prior 8 years?

oh wait...

never mind.

as for cutting spending... you can't cut taxes during wartime. that's how your boy screwed up bigtime and broke everything.

What I want for upswings in the economy are tax hikes and spending cuts. Now am I Big Government type??

My economic policies is dependent on the economic conditions at hand. If things are souring, give it a stimulus, when things are improving, try to generate a surplus and save for the down turn.

Why not just forgo the futile attempts at economic central planning and eliminate the up-down economic cycle altogether? after all the failure of central planners is what causes the ups and downs in the first place.

Your model doesn't work anyways, Government spending has no track record of going down in modern times and the mind boggling debt we've managed to accumlate will in the near future make anything but enormous tax increases (in the best case scenario) impossible.

Well said.

Incorrect.

There has been far too few examples of significant reductions in spending by government to correlate with sound reductions in taxes.

Simple.

Hold it--are you saying that there were no spending cuts by Republicans??

If you know or believe you are not going to cut spending, then why cut taxes and generate a deficit? This also suggests that whenever a politician talks about cutting taxes, should you not ask where are his spending cuts?

There have been times that the tax rate and spending was brought under control. During the Clinton years when Republicans controlled Congress is one.. But that suggests a combination of parties in control. Not just Republicans, not just Democrats.

Do you know there is something to be said for tax cuts as a way of stimulating the economy. The problem is when you cut taxes and keep on spending without reducing the deficit or you spend so freely that you outpace the economy you get into serious trouble. Clinton understood this, Reagan understood this, and JFK did as well. All three of those presidents cut taxes , in Clintons case he also cut spending and reduced the deficit. This is not magic here. In Reagans case he cut the top rates, and also cut them across the board, and created an environment for business to thrive. I have often wondered the last several trillion dollars that both Obama and Bush happily signed away to Banks, Auto companies, and lobby groups, would have been put to better use in the form of massive tax cuts and rebuilding the military which is very badly needed.

then why cut taxes and generate a deficit?

It's an easy (and popular) way to buy votes using other peoples money, voters generally care more about taxes than they do about deficits (after all most of the debt is gonna be paid by future generations), they want their goodies NOW!

Why not just forgo the futile attempts at economic central planning and eliminate the up-down economic cycle altogether? after all the failure of central planners is what causes the ups and downs in the first place.

Your model doesn't work anyways, Government spending has no track record of going down in modern times and the mind boggling debt we've managed to accumlate will in the near future make anything but enormous tax increases (in the best case scenario) impossible.

Economic central planning? I am not suggesting that the Government dictates to the economy at all times. Only during downturns do think this makes sense. During the recovery phase, the government is to liquidate and bring it to the free market and try to generate surplus(to pay of the debt) or balance the budget as the markets improve themselves.

I guess you can say that is Temporal Government Central Planning.

then why cut taxes and generate a deficit?

It's an easy (and popular) way to buy votes using other peoples money, voters generally care more about taxes than they do about deficits (after all most of the debt is gonna be paid by future generations), they want their goodies NOW!

That is bad governance and you know it.

Better, cut what you can first and see how things stack up before entertaining tax cuts. If things are not good, break the campaign promises. If they are good, then you can carry through with the cuts.

Incorrect.

Simple.

Hold it--are you saying that there were no spending cuts by Republicans??

If you know or believe you are not going to cut spending, then why cut taxes and generate a deficit? This also suggests that whenever a politician talks about cutting taxes, should you not ask where are his spending cuts?

There have been times that the tax rate and spending was brought under control. During the Clinton years when Republicans controlled Congress is one.. But that suggests a combination of parties in control. Not just Republicans, not just Democrats.

"Significant" being the key term...

Economic central planning? I am not suggesting that the Government dictates to the economy at all times. Only during downturns do think this makes sense. During the recovery phase, the government is to liquidate and bring it to the free market and try to generate surplus(to pay of the debt) or balance the budget as the markets improve themselves.

I guess you can say that is Temporal Government Central Planning.

Why on earth does the government need to engage in central planning AT ALL? there is no upside to it..... the current economic crisis is a direct result of central planning, it wasn't greedy bankers or free-market capitalism that caused this crisis is was government interventalism and the central bank. If they hadn't conspired to distort the hell out of the market we wouldn't be in this mess.

Forum List

Back