Majority gives thumbs down to Ryan plan

Nic_Driver

Mar 25, 2011
CNN Poll: Majority gives thumbs down to Ryan plan – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Washington (CNN) - A new national poll indicates that a majority of Americans don't like what they've heard so far about congressional Republicans' plans to change Medicare.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, a majority also don't think the GOP has cooperated enough with President Barack Obama and, for the first time since they won back control of the House last November, the number of Americans who say that Republican control of the chamber is good for the country has dropped below the 50 percent mark.

People are waking up to the GOP agenda.

And this is why our debt problem will not get fixed. People say they want the government to reduce spending, but they don't want them to actually cut anything. We're our own worst enemy.

"I don't think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left wing social engineering. I don't think imposing radical change from the right or the left is a very good way for a free society to operate. I think we need a national conversation to get to a better Medicare system with more choices for seniors."

Newt Gingrich on Paul Ryan Budget via Meet the Press

Newt gets it.

Would that majority include the half of Americans that don't pay income tax? Hard to believe they're for more spending.

CNN Poll: Majority gives thumbs down to Ryan plan – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Washington (CNN) - A new national poll indicates that a majority of Americans don't like what they've heard so far about congressional Republicans' plans to change Medicare.

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey, a majority also don't think the GOP has cooperated enough with President Barack Obama and, for the first time since they won back control of the House last November, the number of Americans who say that Republican control of the chamber is good for the country has dropped below the 50 percent mark.

Ending Medicare isn't popular? Who knew?

In fairness to "people," I don't believe anyone ran on this platform in the last election. In fact, Boehner specifically said Ryan's policy proposals would not be the party's agenda if the party took control of the House. That, of course, has turned out not to be true and the "Ryan plan" is now "the Republican budget." Ryan may have owned it when he unveiled it on April 5, but the rest of the party took ownership when they almost unanimously passed it out of the House on April 15. Now that the Senate has voted for it there are what, nine Republicans in federal office who haven't voted for it?

It's no longer just Paul Ryan that wants to dismantle Medicare, it's the entire Republican party. And I suspect most people didn't realize that would be the case seven months ago.

In fairness to "people," I don't believe anyone ran on this platform in the last election. In fact, Boehner specifically said Ryan's policy proposals would not be the party's agenda if the party took control of the House. That, of course, has turned out not to be true and the "Ryan plan" is now "the Republican budget." Ryan may have owned it when he unveiled it on April 5, but the rest of the party took ownership when they almost unanimously passed it out of the House on April 15. Now that the Senate has voted for it there are what, nine Republicans in federal office who haven't voted for it?

It's no longer just Paul Ryan that wants to dismantle Medicare, it's the entire Republican party. And I suspect most people didn't realize that would be the case seven months ago.

The Republicans have thrown the Democrats a massive life preserver.

Who knew that those receiving the free lunch this week don't want to pay for it next week? :rolleyes:

Who knew that those receiving the free lunch this week don't want to pay for it next week? :rolleyes:

I think you've found the winning frame. That'll improve this sham's standing in the polls! You can call it the "what the fuck, grandma, you goddamn mooch!" campaign.

People are waking up to the fact that we have no control over our addictions and dependencies.

Great job of demagoguery, Pinkbeard!

I love when folks on the far right learn a new word. It's adorable watching them try to work it into every sentence.

But does this mean Medicare's not a "free lunch"? Is granny no longer a freeloader? Abandoning absurd rightwing rhetoric so quickly--I'm proud of you.

Great job of demagoguery, Pinkbeard!

I love when folks on the far right learn a new word. It's adorable watching them try to work it into every sentence.

But does this mean Medicare's not a "free lunch"? Is granny no longer a freeloader? Abandoning absurd rightwing rhetoric so quickly--I'm proud of you.

Still and YET you won't answer the question: WHOM is PAYING YOU to BE HERE?

And don't dodge the question this time.

And this is why our debt problem will not get fixed. People say they want the government to reduce spending, but they don't want them to actually cut anything. We're our own worst enemy.
An inaccurate oversimplification.

People want the cuts to be comprehensive, not only effecting the elderly and poor. Military spending, corporate welfare, corporate tax evasion, and tax cuts for the wealthy must be on the table as well. It's as much a funding as it is a spending problem.

The biggest problem for the GOP is people are fair-minded.

We are heading for a double dip recession and Republicans are desperately trying to get us there before they are booted from office. Eventually, with no one having a job or spending any money, even corporations are going to be feeling the pinch. Then what do they do? And what if they want Republicans to give back all that money? Then what?

Forum List

Back