Majority Believe Dems Abused Power

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Very interesting results in the new Gallup Poll. Gallup's sampling method generally overweights in favor of the Dems. Even with this bias, the recent poll shows that 53% view the Dems' tactics to pass ObamaCare as an Abuse of Power.

4483137362_244ca7e993_o.jpg

Blame Spread Around for Post-Healthcare Vandalism, Threats

The Dems have lost Independents. Despite how much Obama exhorts and scolds the nation to "move along" and give health care a chance, he's lost support. As Obama said, that's what elections are for. He'll see in November.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Very interesting results in the new Gallup Poll. Gallup's sampling method generally overweights in favor of the Dems. Even with this bias, the recent poll shows that 53% view the Dems' tactics to pass ObamaCare as an Abuse of Power.

The Dems have lost Independents. Despite how much Obama exhorts and scolds the nation to "move along" and give health care a chance, he's lost support. As Obama said, that's what elections are for. He'll see in November.

yawn...

any poll that agrees with my perspective MUST BE right!

any poll that disagrees with my perspective must be wrong

As Gallup polls are often held up by Democrats as being Valid, it's interesting to see the turn of results.

Your ridicule is due to the fact that you don't like what it says. But go ahead, dismiss it.

That's what elections are for. :)

It's an interesting poll, and certainly shoring up independents support for 2010 elections is important, but Obama has, if nothing else, shown a propensity for mobilizing large swaths of people to vote (be it positive or negative) quickly. I think polls around august - september will be more telling of the situation once the lack of propaganda from both sides die down.

Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on where you stand) for the White House, the public regularly forgets legislation like this within months if they aren't reminded, so they have the option of downplaying it till election or really trying to ramp its merits up. Either way, I don't really like it, I think they should let the bill speak for itself after shoring up its unsound portions. As long as economic recovery continues and if they can begin to stem job losses, there won't be too much of a switch during the 2010 mid terms. It remains to be seen whether this is good or bad.

The Dems are hoping people forget.

But they aren't understanding human nature very well. Obama fooled people once - and now many of them (especially Independents and moderate GOP members) feel burned. I doubt they are wiling to be fooled again.

But they aren't understanding human nature very well. Obama fooled people once - and now many of them (especially Independents and moderate GOP members) feel burned. I doubt they are wiling to be fooled again.

Well I mean...if you're going to base your argument in human nature, the old axiom is that history repeats itself. So according to your logic and the age old axiom, people should easily be "fooled" twice. I mean, let's look no further than our past two presidential elections :).

Fortunately, the American public is beginning to do their own independent research and becoming more well informed once again.

As I've said before, I don't care what size, or who the government is, as long as its efficient, which will only come from individuals doing their own research into the candidates and the issues. It's a shame it takes this much divisiveness to spawn learning.

Gallup overweights in Democrats? Prove that.

A couple other items from that Gallup poll:

"It should include a government-run insurance plan, also called a public option"

Yes 53% No 43%

"It does not go far enough in regulating the health care industry"

Agree 51% Disagree 41%

...so, when the Republicans do their fabulous repeal and replace bill, will they do it according to the polls? Now that polls are the be all end all of conservative thinking...

Democrats are the biggest fantasists around. They have forgotten that Clinton and the Dems got their butts handed to them in 96 due in part to health care reform the country didnt want and in part to gun control issues. And there was much more time elapsed then. Now, the election is just months away and the rancor is still swirling around from health care. I predict we will see many tea party type events this summer that will drive elections in the fall. Add that to Team Obama's stellar performance in VA, NJ, and MA and it spells doom.

"It should include a government-run insurance plan, also called a public option"

Yes 53% No 43%

Agree 51% Disagree 41%

...so, when the Republicans do their fabulous repeal and replace bill, will they do it according to the polls? Now that polls are the be all end all of conservative thinking...

Explain to me how subsidizing college tuition pertains to healthcare?

Considering the fact that well over 53% of people in this country don't understand Congressional rules and procedure well enough to have an informed opinion on the topic beyond what the agenda-driven talking heads on both sides tell them to think, exactly how much weight should their opinion have? Especially when the results are so mixed if you read the entire poll.

This is why I put no weight in these popularity contests. Usually the results are so skewed or contradictory they're practically meaningless.

They did nothing against the rules, and "if" the law itself is unconstitutional it is for the courts to decide. Now if you disagree with the rules and procedures in place and consider them abusive, that's a different story. But the Parliamentarian signed off on the procedure used, so it was not and cannot be abuse. End of story.

I'm no fan of a lot of the tactics Congress uses, but if it's within the existing rules it's fair game.

They did nothing against the rules, and "if" the law itself is unconstitutional it is for the courts to decide. Now if you disagree with the rules and procedures in place and consider them abusive, that's a different story. But the Parliamentarian signed off on the procedure used, so it was not and cannot be abuse. End of story.

I'm no fan of a lot of the tactics Congress uses, but if it's within the existing rules it's fair game.

I think most people are repulsed by the tactics. But..... I suspect that repulsion is the same whether it is Democrat or Republican.

To me, the interesting point is not that the public disapprove of it now - but that they have always disapproved of it. We're just better at making it known now.

It's not about parties.... it's about politics.

I think most people are repulsed by the tactics. But..... I suspect that repulsion is the same whether it is Democrat or Republican.

To me, the interesting point is not that the public disapprove of it now - but that they have always disapproved of it. We're just better at making it known now.

There's a reason for that old saying about making laws and sausage. Both are ugly, always have been.

IMO, the problem is most people are just now waking up to some of what is going on, but have no real knowledge base beyond what the Olbermanns and Becks tell them to think. So there are a lot of skewed opinions out there and not enough in the way of context, history and facts. It's all suddenly new and evil and hasn't been going on since the dawn of civilization. :rolleyes:

Not people's fault, hell I've been told it takes a few years even for Members to catch up with all the procedure and rules. I'm sure no expert, although I try to get the gist of it anyway. But you're right about things just being better known now - and yet, the perception that's created makes it less known than ever.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I need more coffee! :lol:

Yes, but 14% of Republicans did not think it was an abuse of power.

We are making progress

Yes 53% No 43%

Agree 51% Disagree 41%

You have to go to college to become a doctor.

Yes 53% No 43%

Agree 51% Disagree 41%

You have to go to college to become a doctor.

So he's only subsidizing medical students?

we know they abused power. there is no doubt.

Boohoo. It's a fait accompli now. The Republicans won't repeal it. They're already backing off their initial bluster about repeal.

The Republicans might win some seats, and even eventually will get back into power. And they'll do what they always do, promise to reduce the size of government and balance the budget,

and they won't.

There's a reason for that old saying about making laws and sausage. Both are ugly, always have been.

IMO, the problem is most people are just now waking up to some of what is going on, but have no real knowledge base beyond what the Olbermanns and Becks tell them to think. So there are a lot of skewed opinions out there and not enough in the way of context, history and facts. It's all suddenly new and evil and hasn't been going on since the dawn of civilization. :rolleyes:

Not people's fault, hell I've been told it takes a few years even for Members to catch up with all the procedure and rules. I'm sure no expert, although I try to get the gist of it anyway. But you're right about things just being better known now - and yet, the perception that's created makes it less known than ever.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense. I need more coffee! :lol:

Yea, I can see your point (even caffine deficient, it makes more sense than the 'left'/'right' rants - :lol:). I guess, if one becomes interested and starts watching someone like Olbermann or Beck, then one might have a somewhat skewed view of what is going on.

What I find really pathetic is that people do the:

1. The GOP did it too so therefore it is fine.

2. Obama is worse than anyone else on the planet.

Both grate on my intellect.

I - and I don't think I'm alone - am completely sick and tired of either side justifying abusing the process. I don't care about 'it's legal', it is not moral - morals matter as much as the law. Maybe we've never had ethics in politics but that doesn't mean that we should not expect ethical behavior.... on both sides. I don't give a rats ass who did what. We should draw a line and say 'this far and no further'.

There is not one individual in that den of thieves that would get my vote.

Forum List

Back