Major virus, help!!

LOL ... almost all sites are hosted on Linux ... Windoze servers can barely handle the traffic.

They are forcing Vista ... little by little, and they are also restricting program development, while Mac is opening theirs up. What this means is more programs for Mac and fewer for Windoze. For those with PC's many are slowly switching to Linux because of this move as well. Look into Ubuntu ... all the gimicks of Wnidoze without the hardships that are slowly building.

As for not getting virus' ... you must be watching your system closely to avoid them, most computer users can still barely turn the machines on these days, so kudos. I got tired of having to worry about that, but mostly I just needed my machine to run faster and handle Java better, Ubuntu is great for developing, and it's racing to the common users level as well. I know I have become like a preacher for Ubuntu ... but it just rocks, especially since it's free and fully supports open source.
I've always built my own computers, never bought one retail. I have been studying Ubuntu and have always loved Open Source. I almost switched to it a couple of years ago.

One thing that kept me virus, adware and malware, junk free while using windows is, I never used their junk IE browser. It is and always was designed primarily to bring junk and crap to the user.

On the other hand, Mac should get rid of Safari. They would do better just to adopt Firefox as their default browser. I don't know a single Mac user who likes Safari (and I know alot of Mac users.)

When clods start trying to make viruses for Ubuntu users, they gonna run into a brick wall I think. Right now there's no reason for them to try this, just like with Mac there's just not enough of these users percentage wise, to make the effort worthwhile. And besides, windows with IE is such easy pickings for them, ya know? The average internet user just really doesn't know anything about computers, they just point and click and go. Nothing wrong with that, not saying there is, but it was never my shtick.

As I said, for Linux (Ubuntu) software cannot install itself, so it's impossible to get a virus unless you are one of those idiots that just installs everything they find without first checking it out. There was a funny video somewhere on Youtube about installing a virus ... they got it on a Windoze machine without anyone knowing it, then they showed all the steps you have to go through to install it on Linux ... and they were now transparent either.

The only thing I wish is that there were more Linux users ... those with Gnome desktops ... so I would have a reason to write some fun little games instead of just tools (tools are boring!). The beauty of Ubuntu ... and most Linux distros ... you can use a dual boot if you already have Windoze so you can test drive it as long as you want before making the full switch, allowing people to get comfortable with it before dumping Windoze. But you are right, most users are just web surfers and know almost nothing about the machines they utilize. I have actually had to help a lot of Vista users ... bah I hate that version more than any other OS.
Yeah.... I know. I HAVE been wavering of late. Every time I talk about this with someone I waver a little more.

Vista is the end of windows, for me. Like always when new versions came out, I waited and watched, kept XP and am very glad I did. But hell, it took me two full years to finally switch to XP when it first came out. I simply don't trust windows anymore, after this Vista fiasco. I'm never ever going to allow it on my machines.

I think I'll build another new computer soon, and not even have windows on it at all, just go Ubuntu right out of the box.

have either of you looked at windows 7?
i got the 64 bit version for my new laptop
and it seems to be running fine for me
but then, i dont install tons of crap either
:D

If you haven't checked it out yet, get ready to get your socks rocked:

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

And yes, I have heard success stories on 7. But I'm also sort of tired of paying money for what I can have for free, and better!

Meh ... too little too late. Everything they have Windoze 7 doing was already done in other OS ... it just wasn't popular. Now they are banking it being more popular because it's "Microsoft" ... which will prove to be the biggest mistake any software company can make ... look at what happened to Egg Head when they tried to release a lot of crap based only on their reputation.

The one thing Microsoft has forgotten since Bill put that idiot in charge, the tech industry is driven by two people, those who like fancy toys (most Mac users) and those who are techies (which are switching to Linux more each day). Windoze stayed strong because it catered to the latter, allowing us to write specific software for businesses and cater the entire computer to their needs. Then Bill decides he's done with business and passes the baton to the moron ... now it's getting harder and harder, each new release is becoming more restrictive in the OS as they are now trying to cater to both types of people, which is an impossibility. Windoze 7 will force many like me to use exclusively linux for office terminals (which isn't a problem at all because of Open Office) ... this will ultimately kill Microsoft ... though since they were so integrated into our culture it will take a long time before they actually feel the pain enough to worry.

As I said, I want people to switch now because I can write software for all the newest Linux distros without having to download more API's ... and they will still be easy to make compatible to older distros no matter how advanced they get. The more people who start using Linux the faster it will grow ... and the more user friendly it will become for those who have to use PC's exclusively.

And yes, I have heard success stories on 7. But I'm also sort of tired of paying money for what I can have for free, and better!
i got it for free :D

That is possible ...

My major complaint about upgrading with Windoze is that every time they upgrade one or two small things they make you get a whole new OS instead of just making the modules available to the core OS.

That is possible ...

My major complaint about upgrading with Windoze is that every time they upgrade one or two small things they make you get a whole new OS instead of just making the modules available to the core OS.
oh, i know

you should immediately format your computer to protect your computer from viruses and next time after you have formatted it install a good antivirus in your system so that no more virus can infect your computer..
138l1103.jpg

you should immediately format your computer to protect your computer from viruses and next time after you have formatted it install a good antivirus in your system so that no more virus can infect your computer..
138l1103.jpg
that is poor advice
formating wont get some viri
like boot sector viri
and there are better ways to get rid of a virus than that drastic action

138l1103.jpg
that is poor advice
formating wont get some viri
like boot sector viri
and there are better ways to get rid of a virus than that drastic action
I think we just have a common troll here, bumping really old threads for some odd reason.

Isn't IBM about to switch to Linux? Iseem to recall having heard that IBM was going to opt out of windows soon. I've got vista so far no problems.

Isn't IBM about to switch to Linux? Iseem to recall having heard that IBM was going to opt out of windows soon. I've got vista so far no problems.

Possibly, I haven't been keeping track of it myself. I do know that almost every business needs either Linux or Unix now anyway, since MS Server just can't cut it, and probably never will, and MS is trying to make Windoze less compatible instead of the smart thing that Apple is doing with Mac OS.

Problems differ between users and systems, I have a problem with any OS I can't completely control, Linux I can, Windoze XP and on no one really can. Also just hope a hacker or virus never becomes attracted since Windoze security at it's best is still the worst. Then there's the fact that Windoze is raising the price of their API again, it's already a small fortune and they are changing it so much each release now you have to buy the newest one every time they make a major change. While you may think that the programmers API means nothing to a user it actually does. The cost of the API determines the prices of games and all other software people use, meaning less freeware, and more expensive programs, while with Linux it's all free and programmers are liking the newest Gnome and KDE APIs, not to mention Java is native in Linux and so is Python. Python is great because then us programmers can not only write faster code, we can share and modify the code without having to request source code or decompile. This new shift will change the number and quality of programs so that Linux and Mac will have the most and best, while Windoze will be left out of the loop. So it's very possible IBM will finally switch to Linux to once again become a contender in the tech industry, and it would be nice.

Trouble is the games I play most are pretty much - at least as far as I know - Windows based. And when I retire as a machinist I plan on doing a variety of writing. And unfortunately at this time most publishers want either a manuscrpit or MS Office Email attachment or disc.

And printing a 400-500 page manuscript with your standard computer printer takes a while.

Last edited:
Trouble is the games I play most are pretty much - at least as far as I know - Windows based. And when I retire as a machinist I plan on doing a variety of writing. And unfortunately at this time most publishers want either a manuscrpit or MS Office Email attachment or disc.

And printing a 400-500 page manuscript with your standard computer printer takes a while.

Anything MS Office can do, Open Office can and more. Open Office is Java based and will run on anything, can save in almost any format, including every MS and Adobe format, and is the default for most Linux distros. As for the games, WINE can now run almost everything flawlessly, not to mention you can do a dual boot (which many do now) so you can use a minimal Windoze for it's only strength (games) and Linux for all the important stuff. Linux has a program for everything now, thanks to MS losing ground fast, and as programmers move to Linux MS is losing a lot of games in the near future (as soon as their contracts run out), and once that happens almost all games will be ported to Linux, since Mac OS can now run Linux programs making it THE OS for developers. It's time for the upgrade, since MS is now light-years behind everyone else.

Anything MS Office can do, Open Office can and more. Open Office is Java based and will run on anything, can save in almost any format, including every MS and Adobe format, and is the default for most Linux distros. As for the games, WINE can now run almost everything flawlessly, not to mention you can do a dual boot (which many do now) so you can use a minimal Windoze for it's only strength (games) and Linux for all the important stuff. Linux has a program for everything now, thanks to MS losing ground fast, and as programmers move to Linux MS is losing a lot of games in the near future (as soon as their contracts run out), and once that happens almost all games will be ported to Linux, since Mac OS can now run Linux programs making it THE OS for developers. It's time for the upgrade, since MS is now light-years behind everyone else.
LOL used to be you needed a DOS boot disk for games

LOL used to be you needed a DOS boot disk for games

Yep, and XP has almost no support for DOS games, until they got DOSBox, which also works in Linux, go figure. Linux has the largest and best backwards compatibility, almost all the old programs work in the newest versions, you only have to upgrade the OS for newer programs, but you can still run the old ones after.

Forum List

Back