Major Points from Tonight's State of the Union Address

"Invest," (spend) so we can "win the future."

Obama came off like a commercial...

Children
Fire fighters
Teachers
Troops
Education
USA - The most awesome bright beam of light in the universe with the most giving hardest working coolest people ever know...

He gave NO idea how he wants to pay for all of this. Obama simply tapped a nerve of, people don't like paying for something so GOVERNMENT will, thus, buying votes by making people MORE dependent on Government.

Dependent on...

Education...
Travel...
Healthcare...
Food...

And well, anything you don't like spending money on... With a nation getting poorer and poorer despite NEW MASSIVE GOVERNEMNET (weird how government never shrinks and things only seem to get worse) of course we see lots of people wanting Government to help pay MORE for their education, to bad it's Government that helps drive up that cost of it.

So I guess those items are unimportant to you, then. Sadly, that says volumes, because each and every one is an area that keeps America strong and keeps you alive.

Were you even listening? He talked about paying for some of it by using existing unnecessary subsidies elsewhere, by eliminating duplication, especially agency duplication. In effect, he was talking about cleaning out the bureaucracy. He talked about forming policy around some of the recommendations of the Deficit Reduction Committee. Obama also committed to revising the tax code to simplify it and make it more fair. Now that he's thrown down the gauntlet, he needs to set the mechanics in motion to make it happen.

Cool, replace debt with debt paid out in a different area... Moronic.

The President outlined a course of action. Some like it and some don't.

Sure, and that's predictable. It's no surprise that those who hate him to the core would have listened (if at all) with an ear poised to hear or interpret only something negative they could pounce on. Ironically, I've been pleasantly surprised that Republican leadership appears satisfied with forging ahead to work with the President and the challenges ahead and didn't seem to be in their usual snarling moods the morning after. Maybe it will catch on.

That would be wonderful. Congress actually working with the President on the people's behalf.

Lip service to the deficit crisis: We have serious problems.

Proposed solution to what ails us
: We must spend our way to competitiveness.

Yes, we have some serious spending to do. Thus, the State of the Union is peachy.

The State of the Union is strong. That's a message Americans want and need to hear, not the fear mongering from the right.

The State of the Union is strong. That's a message Americans want and need to hear, not the fear mongering from the right.

Sometimes what we WANT to hear is not the truth and it's not what we need to hear.

In reality, the State of the Union is concerning.

Until all members of the legislative branch (and the President, too) face up to the potentially DIRE implications of our deficit CRISIS and start acting accordingly, we are not "strong." We are in peril.

It is not "Fear mongering" to tell someone about to be hit by a fast approaching bus that he needs to "watch out!"

Last edited:
I just thought it would be helpful to put together the major points that I took from tonight's speech for those who have and haven't read it or seen it.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas.

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning.

7.) Talked about infrastructure, including how our own engineers gave it a D.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

9.) Lowering the corporate tax rate for the first time in 25 years along with getting rid of loopholes.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000).

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses.

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform.

14.) Bipartisan solution for Social Security.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans.

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward.

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July.

Overall, the biggest things from this speech I think are: #2, #5, #9 especially, #12, and #17.

I'm not saying that all of these things are feasible, realistic, or what have you. Merely mentioning the major points that I thought the President gave tonight in his speech.

has he NOT said any of this before?

There are NO details...not even an inkling.

Frankly all of the sotu addys are just a free night of coverage.

A State of the Union address never gives details on proposals for future governing.

uh huh, that why I don't watch and why its just a big campaign speech....and maybe they should instead of promising everything and embarrassing themselves.

Sometimes what we WANT to hear is not the truth and it's not what we need to hear.

Until all members of the legislative branch (and the President, too) face up to the potentially DIRE implications of our deficit CRISIS and start acting accordingly, we are not "strong." We are in peril.

It is not "rear mongering" to tell someone about to be hit by a fast approaching bus that he needs to "watch out!"

Come on now. You're dinging Obama for doing the same thing the Gipper did. Speaking with faith in the American people and pointing out our nations strengths.

It's not Apocalypse Now.

Wait Wait Wait, he used the family of the murdered child as a prop? He can't let them grieve in peace? He had to showcase them?

That's fucking sick

It is not "rear mongering" to tell someone about to be hit by a fast approaching bus that he needs to "watch out!"

Come on now. You're dinging Obama for doing the same thing the Gipper did. Speaking with faith in the American people and pointing out our nations strengths.

It's not Apocalypse Now.

Oh come now. You're just reflexively defending President Obama as though anything I said places him under attack, anyway.

The President is a dolt.

But the problems we face today didn't JUST happen on his watch.

If you'd pay attention, you'd realize that the ones I identified (primarily) are our legislators.

The problem does exist.

Pretending it doesn't or pretending that it's not quite serious and potentially dire will not make it any better.

All SOTU addresses tend to be just so much campaign fluff. This was no different. But even so, doing business as usual when business is no longer anything approaching usual is foolish. And cheer-leading President Obama is simply childish. He's a dolt.

The problems are far too big for that nincompoop.

What 'Major Points'?

The whole speech was preening for Obama to kick off 2012 aspirations...

It was FLAT...and a FLOP. SOSDD...(Same old SHIT, Different Day)...

SOTU: FACT CHECK: Obama and his imbalanced ledger...<LINK

[SNIP]

OBAMA: "The bipartisan Fiscal Commission I created last year made this crystal clear. I don't agree with all their proposals, but they made important progress. And their conclusion is that the only way to tackle our deficit is to cut excessive spending wherever we find it — in domestic spending, defense spending, health care spending, and spending through tax breaks and loopholes."

THE FACTS: Obama's fiscal commission did not simply recommend cutting excessive spending; it proposed that the deficit could only be tamed by cutting $3 for every $1 of new revenue raised — in other words, a painful mix of spending cuts and tax increases. Instead, Obama proposed an overhaul of the corporate tax system that would eliminate loopholes and tax breaks but also reduce tax rates. The net effect would be neutral; it would not reduce or raise any revenue. Obama has yet to sign on to any of the ideas, even though he promised when creating the panel that it would not be "one of those Washington gimmicks."

One of many Obama has been called upon in that failure of a so-called speech...

Well now, where the hell were you when the Repubs were running the deficit up to wage a war based on lies?

The present president has ran the deficit up preventing the Second Great Republican Depression.

Well now, where the hell were you when the Repubs were running the deficit up to wage a war based on lies?

The present president has ran the deficit up preventing the Second Great Republican Depression.

First you stupid fuck, this is why we went to war

2335239.jpg

Second, FDR oversaw the Great Depression, he was a Democrat

Third I have another foot of snow here,please tell me again how "ManMade GlobalWarming" is responsible

Electric cars can't pull trailers, or take big charges repeatedly close together (cross-country driving).

Obama's a fucking nutcase, but oh well.

Of course electric motors cannot pull a big load. Now what turns the wheels on those big things on the steel rails?

Electric generators powered by a gigantic Caterpillar built diesel fueled engine installed by General Motors Electro-Motive division.

2335239.jpg

Third I have another foot of snow here,please tell me again how "ManMade GlobalWarming" is responsible

It just is, somehow.

Just give Al "Manbearpig" Gore another couple of years to come up with an explanation.

2335239.jpg

Frank? The Snow you step forth into is Global warming...it doesn't matter to these freaks.

Forum List

Back