Major Points from Tonight's State of the Union Address

Why do you use the word "whiney" when it's not even remotely true? Are you just dishonest?

I commented, first, on the first item in Modburt's list. Whatta concept!

It's not whining, you dope, to note that the panacea of "electric cars" is not actually a panacea at all.

If we want energy, the stupid President must stop preventing off-shore drilling exploration efforts and he must get the process for creation of new refineries going. Instead, the dope wants to cut federal support for those rich evil OIL companies even further. Too bad his desire for cutting Federal budgetary expenses only goes as far as those things that actually benefit us.

And "clean coal" is not yet actually clean. If he wants to create clean energy and cut back on emissions, he should seek policies which help the United States ramp up nuclear energy production. France gets a significant percentage of its national energy needs from nuclear. It can be done and it can be done safely, but it will cost some money up front. I thought we were all ok with spending money to save the ecosystem, though. You libs can't get on the same page, can you?

In the interim, more electric cars means greater ELECTRIC generation and that, for the time being, means more air pollution. And it does so in the communities where the generators are. It's like transferring the auto-emission pollution from a big city and sending it down the turnpike to the Electric Generating sites' communities. But the net air pollution doesn't really get cut.

I'd say the President isn't fooling anybody, but he seems reasonably safe in assuming that he can get over on guys like you.

We don't need more oil, and we don't need more refineries. And hey, if big oil wants to build more refineries while their current refineries run at 80% or below, whats stopping them? Oh! They want tax breaks, subsidies, bonuses, and dirty smoke filled environments. At .17 cents to refine a gallon of oil in a green refinery, they just aren't making enough profits. Have them build in Mexico. Just like drilling for oil, who are they going to sell it to with clean cars using 2-5% less gas each year, millions not commuting, and millions more starting working from home. That is why they are at 80%, the National Reserve is topped off, and all above ground oil storage is full. Not to mention the Saudis are delivering their own oil to Texas and making gasoline there, the biggest refinery in America.
Whats stopping them is the commie environmentalists.

What's stopping them is that they know that the future is in green energy, not oil. Investors are already lining up. But you go right ahead and hide under your bed fearing the Commies Are Coming 'till pigs fly in too.

What POWERS Electric Cars? That's right. Electricity. Plug 'em in! Where does the Electricity come from? That's right! Electric generating PLANTS. What powers the Electric Generating Plants?

Largely, in this great land of ours, COAL.

The "green" claims touted for Electric Cars is comical.

When you plug in your toaster, there are no hydrocarbon emissions coming from your toaster either. But the electricity is not provided by the magical "free lunch." And each time you draw power from the electric grid, the generators have to spend a little more fuel. And they DO emit hydrocarbons -- and lots of them.

So adding a million more Electric Cars isn't actually likely to do diddly dog to green our atmosphere.
well that also depends on the tech being used to power that power. Shame people wont get behind Nuke power.

also Coal is not as dirty as people think it is.

Ironically, nuclear plants are also subsidized by the government. They can't be built without loan guarantees from Uncle Sam. Also, the cost of uranium extraction, enrichment, security and distribution is also heavily subsidized.

And you are right that eventually moving to alternative sources for the power grid will make electric cars more attractive.

I just thought it would be helpful to put together the major points that I took from tonight's speech for those who have and haven't read it or seen it.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas.

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning.

7.) Talked about infrastructure, including how our own engineers gave it a D.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

9.) Lowering the corporate tax rate for the first time in 25 years along with getting rid of loopholes.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000).

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses.

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform.

14.) Bipartisan solution for Social Security.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans.

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward.

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July.

Overall, the biggest things from this speech I think are: #2, #5, #9 especially, #12, and #17.

I'm not saying that all of these things are feasible, realistic, or what have you. Merely mentioning the major points that I thought the President gave tonight in his speech.

Hello??? He's lining the pockets of GE and he's trying to sell Volts.. we got it.

I just thought it would be helpful to put together the major points that I took from tonight's speech for those who have and haven't read it or seen it.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas.

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

9.) Lowering the corporate tax rate for the first time in 25 years along with getting rid of loopholes.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000).

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses.

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans.

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward.

Overall, the biggest things from this speech I think are: #2, #5, #9 especially, #12, and #17.

I'm not saying that all of these things are feasible, realistic, or what have you. Merely mentioning the major points that I thought the President gave tonight in his speech.

I liked the emphasis on education, and was pleased to see most Republicans seemed to agree. Of course they too read the dismal reports, so are well aware that a big investment in education is absolutely required.

But the best part for me was seeing John McCain actually stand and clap for his nemesis, Barack Obama, for the first time ever. Whereas earmarks account for less than 2% of any federal outlay, to commit to being on board with eliminating them sends a strong message to lobbyists: No More Mr. Nice Guys.

I found it unfortunate that when comparing American achievements to Chinese achievements, he mentioned the Transcontinental Railroad...

I'm sure there was giggling among the Chinese viewers. Hey, at least he didn't mention AmTrac.

caltrain.jpg

Ours

thumbnail.aspx

Theirs​

What POWERS Electric Cars? That's right. Electricity. Plug 'em in! Where does the Electricity come from? That's right! Electric generating PLANTS. What powers the Electric Generating Plants?

Largely, in this great land of ours, COAL.

The "green" claims touted for Electric Cars is comical.

When you plug in your toaster, there are no hydrocarbon emissions coming from your toaster either. But the electricity is not provided by the magical "free lunch." And each time you draw power from the electric grid, the generators have to spend a little more fuel. And they DO emit hydrocarbons -- and lots of them.

So adding a million more Electric Cars isn't actually likely to do diddly dog to green our atmosphere.
well that also depends on the tech being used to power that power. Shame people wont get behind Nuke power.

also Coal is not as dirty as people think it is.

I agree and I agree.

But lots of folks are terrified of nuclear power. China Syndrome. Chernobyl. So, that's pretty much a non starter for the time being.

And coal ISN'T as dirty as many people fear, but even so, that's a bit different than saying it's clean. It isn't.

Is he kidding? How are we suppose to get our families in that car and get groceries?

Last edited:
Reagan on Communist Nation: Evil Empire

Obama on Communist Nation: Where's my Kneepads?

Have you seen whats stopped Obama "Fast Tracking" of Nuclear Power?

Take a guess...which organization do you supposed is holding up progress?

has he NOT said any of this before?

There are NO details...not even an inkling.

Frankly all of the sotu addys are just a free night of coverage.

has he NOT said any of this before?

There are NO details...not even an inkling.

Frankly all of the sotu addys are just a free night of coverage.

A State of the Union address never gives details on proposals for future governing.

Despite renewed concerns about the price of gas, most Americans still aren’t likely to buy an electric car in the next 10 years.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 27% of Adults say it’s at least somewhat likely they’ll buy an electric car within the next decade. That’s down 13 points from early August 2009 when 40% felt that way. Sixty-four percent (64%) say it’s not likely they’ll purchase an electric vehicle.

The FINANCIAL - 27% Likely To Buy An Electric Car in Next 10 Years

"Invest," (spend) so we can "win the future."

Obama came off like a commercial...

Children
Fire fighters
Teachers
Troops
Education
USA - The most awesome bright beam of light in the universe with the most giving hardest working coolest people ever know...

He gave NO idea how he wants to pay for all of this. Obama simply tapped a nerve of, people don't like paying for something so GOVERNMENT will, thus, buying votes by making people MORE dependent on Government.

Dependent on...

Education...
Travel...
Healthcare...
Food...

And well, anything you don't like spending money on... With a nation getting poorer and poorer despite NEW MASSIVE GOVERNEMNET (weird how government never shrinks and things only seem to get worse) of course we see lots of people wanting Government to help pay MORE for their education, to bad it's Government that helps drive up that cost of it.

:clap2:

I am impressed, you made a post about politics that is actually not partisan blather.

Roughly 1/2 of our electricity comes from coal.
And the process of coal fired plants is getting cleaner. In any case we will be ussing coal for some time.

It is easier and more efficient to control polloution from all the coal fired plants than from every toaster or electric car isn't it?

why are you so whiney about electric cars?

you a used car salesman?

Something you might want to think about. With 1 million electric cars on the road there are going to be a lot of accidents involving those vehicles, all of which will spill toxic waste into the ecosystem. Those batteries are not going to be crash proof.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but don't you think it's a bit distracting, having the VP and the Speaker sitting behind the president when he's speaking for over an hour? The speeches are pretty dull to begin with. I find myself watching the Speaker or the VP as much as the Pres. I remember one address where the most interesting thing was the VP picking his nose and Speaker yawning and grimacing.

"Invest," (spend) so we can "win the future."

Obama came off like a commercial...

Children
Fire fighters
Teachers
Troops
Education
USA - The most awesome bright beam of light in the universe with the most giving hardest working coolest people ever know...

He gave NO idea how he wants to pay for all of this. Obama simply tapped a nerve of, people don't like paying for something so GOVERNMENT will, thus, buying votes by making people MORE dependent on Government.

Dependent on...

Education...
Travel...
Healthcare...
Food...

And well, anything you don't like spending money on... With a nation getting poorer and poorer despite NEW MASSIVE GOVERNEMNET (weird how government never shrinks and things only seem to get worse) of course we see lots of people wanting Government to help pay MORE for their education, to bad it's Government that helps drive up that cost of it.

So I guess those items are unimportant to you, then. Sadly, that says volumes, because each and every one is an area that keeps America strong and keeps you alive.

Were you even listening? He talked about paying for some of it by using existing unnecessary subsidies elsewhere, by eliminating duplication, especially agency duplication. In effect, he was talking about cleaning out the bureaucracy. He talked about forming policy around some of the recommendations of the Deficit Reduction Committee. Obama also committed to revising the tax code to simplify it and make it more fair. Now that he's thrown down the gauntlet, he needs to set the mechanics in motion to make it happen.

The President outlined a course of action. Some like it and some don't.

Sure, and that's predictable. It's no surprise that those who hate him to the core would have listened (if at all) with an ear poised to hear or interpret only something negative they could pounce on. Ironically, I've been pleasantly surprised that Republican leadership appears satisfied with forging ahead to work with the President and the challenges ahead and didn't seem to be in their usual snarling moods the morning after. Maybe it will catch on.

I think Obama's speech was so general it was rather boring, but I guess with his numbers improving, he didn't want to upset the apple cart. If someone ask me what he say. I would have to say nothing.

I heard Michele Bachmann's Tea Party Reply. Her response sounded more like a campaign speech than a response to the President. Paul Ryan's Republican response seemed only a bit better.

A waste of of two hours

Forum List

Back