Major Points from Tonight's State of the Union Address

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
I just thought it would be helpful to put together the major points that I took from tonight's speech for those who have and haven't read it or seen it.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas.

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning.

7.) Talked about infrastructure, including how our own engineers gave it a D.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

9.) Lowering the corporate tax rate for the first time in 25 years along with getting rid of loopholes.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000).

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses.

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform.

14.) Bipartisan solution for Social Security.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans.

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward.

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July.

Overall, the biggest things from this speech I think are: #2, #5, #9 especially, #12, and #17.

I'm not saying that all of these things are feasible, realistic, or what have you. Merely mentioning the major points that I thought the President gave tonight in his speech.

What POWERS Electric Cars? That's right. Electricity. Plug 'em in! Where does the Electricity come from? That's right! Electric generating PLANTS. What powers the Electric Generating Plants?

Largely, in this great land of ours, COAL.

The "green" claims touted for Electric Cars is comical.

When you plug in your toaster, there are no hydrocarbon emissions coming from your toaster either. But the electricity is not provided by the magical "free lunch." And each time you draw power from the electric grid, the generators have to spend a little more fuel. And they DO emit hydrocarbons -- and lots of them.

So adding a million more Electric Cars isn't actually likely to do diddly dog to green our atmosphere.

Roughly 1/2 of our electricity comes from coal.
And the process of coal fired plants is getting cleaner. In any case we will be ussing coal for some time.

It is easier and more efficient to control polloution from all the coal fired plants than from every toaster or electric car isn't it?

why are you so whiney about electric cars?

you a used car salesman?

Last edited:
Thank you for doing that for us.

i think our president should have lofty goals in mind. So good that he laid it out. But I bet only 1 of those things get done. I would bet he focuses on the exports of our countries. Bring factory jobs back to the US. Somehow.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015. Who is going to buy all of them? That's a lofty goal to set for civilians.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas. by 2035 we should have enough nuke plants to keep up with demand

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. Really?The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school. Kill the DoE and let schools compete. We were ranked higher and did better w/o that.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new union teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000. I like this idea.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning. balh blah blah, not going to do anything about it now that the GOP runs the House.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. That we won't use. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

9.) Lowering the corporate tax rate for the first time in 25 years along with getting rid of loopholes.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000). I'm going to call this BS. China has no reason to cut us any slack.

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses. yawn. What about the unconstitutional part?

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade. It's not really saving since it's already incredibly high.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. He's been planning on doing something for the last 2 years. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform. That's parent talk for 'no'.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans. lame

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward. Whats that mean?

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July. telling the enemy your plans is treason for a serviceman to do.

glad I skipped it. More of the same

What POWERS Electric Cars? That's right. Electricity. Plug 'em in! Where does the Electricity come from? That's right! Electric generating PLANTS. What powers the Electric Generating Plants?

When you plug in your toaster, there are no hydrocarbon emissions coming from your toaster either. But the electricity is not provided by the magical "free lunch." And each time you draw power from the electric grid, the generators have to spend a little more fuel. And they DO emit hydrocarbons -- and lots of them.

So adding a million more Electric Cars isn't actually likely to do diddly dog to green our atmosphere.

Hmm, I think green sucks for sky color. I would like a light blue. Now we can get light blue using nuclear power. Actually it is magenta at the core, but it turns the atmosphere light blue. So 300 nuclear plants is what we need along our coast lines, and all hooked to the grid for a glass highway of electric cars. It would be the most technologically advance transportation system ever made. Completely computerized, cars traveling at 300-400 miles an hour in a static weather/dust free tube with no accidents, no traffic jams, no congested traffic, and no batteries. The road service would never need repair.

Electric cars can't pull trailers, or take big charges repeatedly close together (cross-country driving).

Obama's a fucking nutcase, but oh well.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015. Who is going to buy all of them? That's a lofty goal to set for civilians.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas. by 2035 we should have enough nuke plants to keep up with demand

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. Really?The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school. Kill the DoE and let schools compete. We were ranked higher and did better w/o that.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new union teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000. I like this idea.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning. balh blah blah, not going to do anything about it now that the GOP runs the House.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. That we won't use. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000). I'm going to call this BS. China has no reason to cut us any slack.

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses. yawn. What about the unconstitutional part?

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade. It's not really saving since it's already incredibly high.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. He's been planning on doing something for the last 2 years. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform. That's parent talk for 'no'.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans. lame

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward. Whats that mean?

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July. telling the enemy your plans is treason for a serviceman to do.

I don't like the "battery" part of the electric car. There are other better means, like the compressed air cars. They don't need battery's. I might buy one of those for around town shopping. I saw a nice small pickup that is battery powered. This Gizmag air car. I prolly could park it in the bike rack. :)

8896_29020895329.jpg

8896_29020895134.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/compressed-air-car-set-for-us-launch-in-2010/8896/

Last edited:
And the process of coal fired plants is getting cleaner. In any case we will be ussing coal for some time.

It is easier and more efficient to control polloution from all the coal fired plants than from every toaster or electric car isn't it?

you a used car salesman?

Why do you use the word "whiney" when it's not even remotely true? Are you just dishonest?

I commented, first, on the first item in Modburt's list. Whatta concept!

It's not whining, you dope, to note that the panacea of "electric cars" is not actually a panacea at all.

If we want energy, the stupid President must stop preventing off-shore drilling exploration efforts and he must get the process for creation of new refineries going. Instead, the dope wants to cut federal support for those rich evil OIL companies even further. Too bad his desire for cutting Federal budgetary expenses only goes as far as those things that actually benefit us.

And "clean coal" is not yet actually clean. If he wants to create clean energy and cut back on emissions, he should seek policies which help the United States ramp up nuclear energy production. France gets a significant percentage of its national energy needs from nuclear. It can be done and it can be done safely, but it will cost some money up front. I thought we were all ok with spending money to save the ecosystem, though. You libs can't get on the same page, can you?

In the interim, more electric cars means greater ELECTRIC generation and that, for the time being, means more air pollution. And it does so in the communities where the generators are. It's like transferring the auto-emission pollution from a big city and sending it down the turnpike to the Electric Generating sites' communities. But the net air pollution doesn't really get cut.

I'd say the President isn't fooling anybody, but he seems reasonably safe in assuming that he can get over on guys like you.

you a used car salesman?

Why do you use the word "whiney" when it's not even remotely true? Are you just dishonest?

It's not whining, you dope, to note that the panacea of "electric cars" is not actually a panacea at all.

If we want energy, the stupid President must stop preventing off-shore drilling exploration efforts and he must get the process for creation of new refineries going. Instead, the dope wants to cut federal support for those rich evil OIL companies even further. Too bad his desire for cutting Federal budgetary expenses only goes as far as those things that actually benefit us.

And "clean coal" is not yet actually clean. If he wants to create clean energy and cut back on emissions, he should seek policies which help the United States ramp up nuclear energy production. France gets a significant percentage of its national energy needs from nuclear. It can be done and it can be done safely, but it will cost some money up front. I thought we were all ok with spending money to save the ecosystem, though. You libs can't get on the same page, can you?

In the interim, more electric cars means greater ELECTRIC generation and that, for the time being, means more air pollution. And it does so in the communities where the generators are. It's like transferring the auto-emission pollution from a big city and sending it down the turnpike to the Electric Generating sites' communities. But the net air pollution doesn't really get cut.

I'd say the President isn't fooling anybody, but he seems reasonably safe in assuming that he can get over on guys like you.

We don't need more oil, and we don't need more refineries. And hey, if big oil wants to build more refineries while their current refineries run at 80% or below, whats stopping them? Oh! They want tax breaks, subsidies, bonuses, and dirty smoke filled environments. At .17 cents to refine a gallon of oil in a green refinery, they just aren't making enough profits. Have them build in Mexico. Just like drilling for oil, who are they going to sell it to with clean cars using 2-5% less gas each year, millions not commuting, and millions more starting working from home. That is why they are at 80%, the National Reserve is topped off, and all above ground oil storage is full. Not to mention the Saudis are delivering their own oil to Texas and making gasoline there, the biggest refinery in America.

Yep.

And thats gonna be hard with Obama, when running his campaign, said he would "necessarily" bankrupt the coal industry.

Hmmm. Square doesn't fit into circle hole.:doubt:

10 minutes after the SOU speech, Obama's family dog walked up with an anonymous sticky note on his back. It read:

"Mr. President....we're broke."

No one had the heart to tell him themselves.

I don't like the "battery" part of the electric car. There are other better means, like the compressed air cars. They don't need battery's. I might buy one of those for around town shopping. I saw a nice small pickup that is battery powered. This Gizmag air car. I prolly could park it in the bike rack. :)

8896_29020895329.jpg

8896_29020895134.jpg

Zero Pollution compressed Air Car set for U.S. launch in 2010

That looks 1% safer than a bike.

And yes, you are not traveling around in an electric car, so to get to 1million people will have to become multiple car owners.

Just a way to control you. The commies back the environmentalists. They have pushed this global warming or climate change lie on us for years.

I just thought it would be helpful to put together the major points that I took from tonight's speech for those who have and haven't read it or seen it.

1.) 1 million electric vehicles on the road by 2015.

2.) Eliminating subsidizing for oil company. Along with that, by 2035, 80% of America's electricity coming from clean energy sources. Listed included are Wind, Solar, Clean Coal, Nuclear, and Natural Gas.

3.) Over next 10 years, one half of new jobs will require an education beyond a high school degree. The President goes on to talk about how almost a quarter of students don't pass high school.

4.) Race to the Top is mentioned. 100,000 new teachers in the next 10 years in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.

5.) The President asks Congress to make the tuition tax cut permanent for four years of college tuition, $10,000.

6.) Talked a bit about Immigration and those who have grown up in this country from the very beginning.

8.) Within 35 years, 80% of Americans will have access to high speed rails. Within 5 years, 98% of all Americans will have access to high-speed wireless coverage.

10.) Doubling exports by 2014, and talked about deals with China, India (250,000 jobs for American workers), and South Korea (70,000).

11.) The President talks about removing part of the HC law that requires unnecessary bookkeeping on the part of small businesses.

12.) The President talks about freezing the annual domestic spending for the next five years, saving over $400 billion by the next decade.

13.) Talked about reducing waste in Healthcare such as with Medicare and Medicaid. Also mentioned willing to have a open mind about Tort Reform.

15.) Talked about how we don't need tax cuts for the top 2% of Wealthiest Americans.

16.) Talked about simplifying the tax code and merging/consolidating the Federal Government going forward.

17.) Mentioned about troops coming home from Afghanistan in July.

Overall, the biggest things from this speech I think are: #2, #5, #9 especially, #12, and #17.

I'm not saying that all of these things are feasible, realistic, or what have you. Merely mentioning the major points that I thought the President gave tonight in his speech.

Nice job on the summary Modbert, I avoided the Speech. This was helpful. ;)

you a used car salesman?

We don't need more oil, and we don't need more refineries. And hey, if big oil wants to build more refineries while their current refineries run at 80% or below, whats stopping them? Oh! They want tax breaks, subsidies, bonuses, and dirty smoke filled environments. At .17 cents to refine a gallon of oil in a green refinery, they just aren't making enough profits. Have them build in Mexico. Just like drilling for oil, who are they going to sell it to with clean cars using 2-5% less gas each year, millions not commuting, and millions more starting working from home. That is why they are at 80%, the National Reserve is topped off, and all above ground oil storage is full. Not to mention the Saudis are delivering their own oil to Texas and making gasoline there, the biggest refinery in America.
Whats stopping them is the commie environmentalists.

I found it unfortunate that when comparing American achievements to Chinese achievements, he mentioned the Transcontinental Railroad...

LOLOLOLOL Fucking classic!!!

Free Energy -- Just Plug it in!!

Obama As Skipper of the Titanic,

"We hit an iceberg in the form of deficit spending and we tried to seal the hole by hitting some more icebergs now maybe we should maybe think about bailing some of this water out while we invest in new technologies to bring more water aboard ship.

Forum List

Back