Mainstream vs. Alternate Media?

Not sure if "alternate" is the proper term but it's best I can come up with. Anyway, what is the difference? What makes a particular news outlet alternate rather than mainstream and vice versa? And perhaps more importantly, what makes one more truthful than the other? What's the best, most unbiased alternate media source on the internet?

It probably has to do with syndication.

There are a lot of websites purporting to be "news" outlets, when they're nothing more than embellishments of stories based in fact in order to fit a certain political agenda.

The example that comes to mind is some obscure "newspaper" (with an online logo that looked legit) which claimed that the recent DHS memo warning about potential right-wing extremist groups also targeted vehicles with anti-Obama bumper stickers. Nowhere in the DHS document are bumper stickers mentioned. In fact, the only reference to Obama was warning that because he is the first black president, it has given rise to a revival of white supremicist groups. But the folks who read that stuff as gospel will spread it around.

I'm not suggesting all "alternative" news outlets do this, but there sure are plenty that masquerade their purpose when in fact, they're just rumor mills for gullible people.

Not sure if "alternate" is the proper term but it's best I can come up with. Anyway, what is the difference? What makes a particular news outlet alternate rather than mainstream and vice versa? And perhaps more importantly, what makes one more truthful than the other? What's the best, most unbiased alternate media source on the internet?

Fox is corporate media

MSNBC is liberal media. So is Air America Radio

NPR is not liberal. NPR is actually fair and balanced. Conservatives just don't appreciate the truth. Over the last few years, the truth has hurt Conservatives. So they label everything that isn't Fox as Liberal.

CNN is mainstream media. ABC, CBS and NBC are too.

The media is corporate owned so don't expect any of them to buck the system or point out the real problems, because usually it is them or their sponsors that are guilty.

Considering how often I see people here deride the mainstream media, I figured they might have one or two suitable alternatives to offer. :eusa_whistle:

LOL ... Seinfeld, South Park, and Family Guy ... more honest, least bias, and facts filled with humor. At least they are more fun to watch.

I'm talking about everyday news. It's not like you can grab a cup of coffee in the morning and then pop on an episode of Family Guy to find out what's new in the world today.

I think "mainstream media" (MSM) simply refers to what is generally recognizable: (1) The New York Times, Washington Post, etc., (2) CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc., (3) Time magazine, Newsweek, National Journal, etc.

You can get the same "news" elsewhere but not everyone is attuned to (1) Rocky Mountain News, (2) BBC, (3) Mother Jones, for example.

Not having been around here long enough to know who derides the MSM, I might offer a suggestion based on other people I do know better. For instance, when discussing issues related to the middle east, there are those who tell us that the MSM here is unreliable and don't tell you the truth/facts. What they provide as evidence is articles from Al Jazeera, for instance -- as if that makes them more credible and unbiased. What I would ask is: If our MSM has correspondents all over the world, why would the not be considered credible?

Just because one has access to the information, does not mean they will tell you the real story. As I say, it's all just sitcoms, news is just sitcoms based on reality.

Perhaps a better question would have been, what would make our MSM less credible? Not a damned thing that I can see.

You just have to learn to weed out embellishment from fact. If you don't find the information satisfactory in one place, go to another. Also, often the "bias" of the print media will be found in how they frame their headlines.

Also, watch C-Span whenever possible in off-hours. There is the C-Span Washington Journal from 7-10 AM, then in the evenings and weekends, all three C-Span stations will air committee hearings which are only briefly covered by MSM unless a hearing is the top news du jour. You can always check their schedules at C-Span.org., plus they hyperlink stuff to top news stories at the site.

Maintstream media decribes those outlets with enormous reach in their market.

Alternative media are those up-and-comers which as yet don't have that reach, PLUS those outlets which will probably forever be on the margins.

Best unbiased media outlet?

CSPAN.

Why?

They don't have an editorial staff.

They broadcast the EVENTS rather than their SPIN about the event.

There are only projections and estimates on the number of Washington outsiders (the American public) that actually tune in to CSPAN though.
C-SPAN: C-SPAN PRESS AREA

Washington Journal on C-Span alone draws an estimated 3 million viewers/listeners. All 3 C-Span networks run on White House monitors, as well as the major television news channels 24/7.

Brian Lamb's contribution to the commonweal by putting CSPAN together and making it work is rather amazing.

I'm not inclined to hero worship, but if I had to seek a mentor to help me do what I am doing for world wide literacy education, he'd be the guy.

I miss Brian's "turn" at moderating on Friday mornings. He was the only one who would feel free to call someone out on a blatant lie. The others just grin and bear it.

Forum List

Back