CDZ Maine's Food Stamp Issue

Wake

Easygoing Conservative
Jun 11, 2013
So I was reading through some Yahoo articles and came across this story in Maine. Apparently they passed a law that requires all able-bodied adults—without dependents—on food stamps to work. Meaning, they're now required to take a job, participate in training, or perform community service.

When Maine Required Childless Adults to Work to Get Food Stamps, Guess What Happened

Personally, regardless of Right and Left politics, I think this is a good move for everyone in general. If you can work, you don't have someone depending on you, why should you continue to bilk the system? All this does is foster dependence. Not only do those people who cheat the system steal from taxpayers, they also indirectly hurt those who actually DO need the support. As soon as this law was implemented, there was an 80% drop in able-bodied adults without dependents, falling from 13,332 recipients in Dec. 2014 to 2,678 in March 2015. On a side note, some people would also take these benefits yet work a job under the table.

I don't know much about Maine, but I do give them a thumbs-up for this step. If anyone reading this would like, I would ask you to give me some reasons, and argument, or any sort of opposing view on why this step was wrong, including the philosophy behind the law. Should we pass laws like these nation-wide? Yes or no? Why?

Thanks for reading guys. :)

The article I read says their rolls decreased by 80% when the law was put into effect. And, as far as I can find, not even the ACLU has filed suit against it.

To be honest, I was expecting some counter-arguments.

Also agree with the op and the expectation of counter views. Just to make sure this thread fits in with the rest of this board I'll add, "Why you nazi #@%$#@".

So I was reading through some Yahoo articles and came across this story in Maine. Apparently they passed a law that requires all able-bodied adults—without dependents—on food stamps to work. Meaning, they're now required to take a job, participate in training, or perform community service.

When Maine Required Childless Adults to Work to Get Food Stamps, Guess What Happened

Personally, regardless of Right and Left politics, I think this is a good move for everyone in general. If you can work, you don't have someone depending on you, why should you continue to bilk the system? All this does is foster dependence. Not only do those people who cheat the system steal from taxpayers, they also indirectly hurt those who actually DO need the support. As soon as this law was implemented, there was an 80% drop in able-bodied adults without dependents, falling from 13,332 recipients in Dec. 2014 to 2,678 in March 2015. On a side note, some people would also take these benefits yet work a job under the table.

I don't know much about Maine, but I do give them a thumbs-up for this step. If anyone reading this would like, I would ask you to give me some reasons, and argument, or any sort of opposing view on why this step was wrong, including the philosophy behind the law. Should we pass laws like these nation-wide? Yes or no? Why?

Thanks for reading guys. :)

To me though it is a double standard and sends the wrong message. While I agree with the concept in principle the message being sent is, "have a kid before you get food stamps" which is not a good thing. Welfare should be used as a safety net and not a complete shelter. However, our current welfare system doesn't focus on getting people off welfare, it encourages them to stay on it.

I say we do this nationwide and guarantee employment to everybody who wants it through the public sector. Doing this will allow us to cut back on, well, essentially remove unemployment/food stamps/etc..

Forum List

Back