Maine governor: remove labor mural from labor dept.

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Apparently, he didnn't learn anything from the governors of Wisconsin and Michigan, and their efforts at destroying unions.

Maine governor: remove labor mural from labor dept. — Maine Politics — Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine Gov. Paul LePage has ordered the removal of a 36-foot mural depicting the state’s labor history from the lobby of the Department of Labor headquarters building in Augusta.

In addition, the LePage administration is renaming several department conference rooms that carry the names of pro-labor icons such as Cesar Chavez.

LePage spokesman Dan Demeritt says the mural and the conference room names are not in keeping with the department’s pro-business goals and some business owners complained.

The mural was erected in 2008. It depicts several moments in Maine labor history, including a 1937 shoe mill strike in Auburn and Lewiston and “Rosie the Riveter” at the Bath Iron Works.

The Sun Journal newspaper says some worker advocates feel the move is a “mean-spirited” provocation.

LePage is becoming a punchline

He just keeps digging deeper and deeper

Apparently, he didnn't learn anything from the governors of Wisconsin and Michigan, and their efforts at destroying unions.

Maine governor: remove labor mural from labor dept. — Maine Politics — Bangor Daily News

AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine Gov. Paul LePage has ordered the removal of a 36-foot mural depicting the state’s labor history from the lobby of the Department of Labor headquarters building in Augusta.

In addition, the LePage administration is renaming several department conference rooms that carry the names of pro-labor icons such as Cesar Chavez.

LePage spokesman Dan Demeritt says the mural and the conference room names are not in keeping with the department’s pro-business goals and some business owners complained.

The mural was erected in 2008. It depicts several moments in Maine labor history, including a 1937 shoe mill strike in Auburn and Lewiston and “Rosie the Riveter” at the Bath Iron Works.

The Sun Journal newspaper says some worker advocates feel the move is a “mean-spirited” provocation.

It's not just Maine and Wisconson.

Southern California layoff fight like a mini-Wisconsin

NYT: So. Calif. layoff fight like a mini-Wisconsin - US news - The New York Times - msnbc.com

Fired 200 workers and decided to cut most city jobs and then outsourced the remaining jobs to non-union members.

How fuckin' petty can teabaggers get???

Agreed. This is the type of thing that is just going to do nothing more than piss people off and yet it was completely unnecessary. LePage can only come out of this negatively. He had nothing to gain by doing this.

Yeah pro business!!! I mean people fighting for their right to earn a living is SO OFFENSIVE!!!! I mean I guess I get that republicans love slavery and would gladly eat a millionaire's freshly made poop from the toilet because you hate yourselves that much, but this is too much.

Forum List

Back