Magnificent Seven remake

The remake of The Magnificent Seven was remade to be politically correct. That's why it sucked so badly.
ANYTHING that is designed to be Politically Correct is of course CRAP. Re. Remaking films, in my opinion this should only occur IF the original was sub standard, so that the original script could be improved and so a new film have the potential that the original did not have. They should not remake films that the original was a great film to begin with.

The best Western ever was Cowboys & Aliens. It was about cowboys... fighting aliens. Beat that shit.

I don't think I've ever seen so many good actors in such a shitty movie at one time.
Which film ?
Pretty much every spaghetti western ever made........

He probably means the M7 remake, most people watch a remake expecting to see the exact same movie with different actors. Many times the film they love is itself a remake of an earlier film.

I don't think I've ever seen so many good actors in such a shitty movie at one time.
Which film ?

He probably means the M7 remake, most people watch a remake expecting to see the exact same movie with different actors. Many times the film they love is itself a remake of an earlier film.

Let's be honest. A lot of people are blinded by nostalgia. Most movies before the 1990s or so sucked ass.

Which film ?

Let's be honest. A lot of people are blinded by nostalgia. Most movies before the 1990s or so sucked ass.
Which is why I like a lot of the remakes, better film quality and better graphics...... :D
I watch a movie for entertainment not to write my thesis on it........

Unforgiven, revisionist western???? WTF???? That movie's closer to authentic western portrayal than almost any previous Hollywood western.
Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?
The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.
I prefer the myth.
Then you'd love Silverado, all the old Hollywood/dime novel myths rolled into one movie.
You know its one film I have never seen. I will have a look for it.
This should tantalize you......

I can't recall a remake I liked better than its original.

I can recall just one.

And it wasn't so much, "better," as it was, just as good. The modern techniques and cinematography made the modern version a joy to watch though.

I read the book, then I watched them back to back to compare.

The Cohen Brothers are second to none when it comes to directing.

I don't care if a remake sticks to the original, as long as it's a good story by itself. For instance, I'm a big comic book fan, but I don't care if a movie takes liberties with the source material, as long as it stands on it's own as a good story. The Magnificent Seven remake just wasn't a good movie.

I don't care if a remake sticks to the original, as long as it's a good story by itself. For instance, I'm a big comic book fan, but I don't care if a movie takes liberties with the source material, as long as it stands on it's own as a good story. The Magnificent Seven remake just wasn't a good movie.
Story? you watch a movie for it's story line? ACTION!!!! ADVENTURE!!!! DEATH!!!! DESTRUCTION!!!! COOL GRAPHICS!!!! WICKED MONSTERS!!!!

Oh wait, story line..... Yeah, I guess it's important...... :D

I have to post horse pics View attachment 244888 View attachment 244889 View attachment 244890 View attachment 244891
This ^^isn't me ;) It's my ex sister in law.
View attachment 244892 View attachment 244893
Family friends, my aunt married into the family so I have cousins who are Stevenses. I think the smaller woman died of a burst appendix.

Horses the most majestic creatures. I will not Funny your post like you would Funny it if ANYONE else would have posted it, I do not do that type of Troll thing I only Funny if the comments and/or picture is you know funny.
Per usual I have no idea what you're talking about. I only funny shit I find funny, and I don't care if you funny my posts.

Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?
The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.
I prefer the myth.
Then you'd love Silverado, all the old Hollywood/dime novel myths rolled into one movie.
You know its one film I have never seen. I will have a look for it.
This should tantalize you......

Tidy.

I can't recall a remake I liked better than its original.

I can recall just one.

And it wasn't so much, "better," as it was, just as good. The modern techniques and cinematography made the modern version a joy to watch though.

I read the book, then I watched them back to back to compare.

The Cohen Brothers are second to none when it comes to directing.

Two good films. I would add "3:10 to Yuma" to that short list. Both excellent movies.

Which film ?

I would say the opposite. But that might be an age thing. I dont think that they make films for me any more. These wretched marvel movies are the modern day westerns and before them the star wars type films were the modern westerns. And the star wars genre provides the reference points for todays directors. Its just explosions with a John Williams soundtrack.

Which film ?

I would say the opposite. But that might be an age thing. I dont think that they make films for me any more. These wretched marvel movies are the modern day westerns and before them the star wars type films were the modern westerns. And the star wars genre provides the reference points for todays directors. Its just explosions with a John Williams soundtrack.
I would revise his statement to; most movies between the 1960s and 1990s sucked ass. To put that into perspective there's around 600 movies released per year in the US alone.

Which film ?

I would revise his statement to; most movies between the 1960s and 1990s sucked ass. To put that into perspective there's around 600 movies released per year in the US alone.
Thats probably a thread in itself. When was the best time for movies ? Probably depends on what sort of films you like.

Which film ?

Thats probably a thread in itself. When was the best time for movies ? Probably depends on what sort of films you like.
Personal preference. I like the 40s & 50s movies, the 60s, 70s & 80s had some good ones but for me they were few and far between, the 90s onwards is a mixed bag.
Not a major Eastwood fan, basically hated all his spaghetti westerns, Wayne for me is a mixed bag, some really good, some not so good.

Forum List

Back