Magnificent Seven remake

There is no modern Steve McQueen there is no modern version of ANY of the classic actors or actresses they are irreplaceable eg. how could there EVER be a modern version of Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis or Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Joseph Cotten?

I HATE remakes of films of course the original version of "The Magnificent Seven" was a remake in American Western style of Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" which was made in 1954 with Toshiro Mifune and is 100 times superior to "The Magnificent Seven"

They are threatening to do a remake of "The Wild Bunch" WHY? How can you IMPROVE on William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Warren Oates and the direction of Sam Peckinpah? You CAN NOT improve. Anyone who does a remake in my opinion should be taken out and shot.

I think that westerns have become so rare that a lot of expertise has been lost. Actors like Ward Bond, Slim Pickens and so on.I could actually believe that these guys lived in the west. The look and sound,everything seemed more authentic. My daughter has told me that the guy playing Steves character is a big star but I have no idea who he is.

The last "new" western I really enjoyed was Open Range. Duvall and Costner are great actors and I believe them.

Ward Bond a great character actor, also Slim Pickens and also Walter Brennan in many old Westerns and yes watching them they LOOK like they are IN the Old West Era.

I look on Google to see who is in this remake of "The Magnificent Seven" and those I know Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio the others I have never even heard of in this film.

Not seen "Open Range" but I like Robert Duvall in EVERYTHING, Kevin Costner is okay. Recent I watch "Unforgiven" made in 1992 and directed and starring Clint Eastwood also Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris in this film, a Revisionist Western and excellent, I am not a great fan of Westerns in general but I like all with Clint Eastwood and he is in and directed in 1973 one of my favourite films "High Plains Drifter" which I think is a very good companion piece film to "Unforgiven"

This the original trailer "High Plains Drifter"

This the original trailer "Unforgiven"

Unforgiven, revisionist western???? WTF???? That movie's closer to authentic western portrayal than almost any previous Hollywood western.

Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?

The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.

This is why "Unforgiven" is in the Revisionist Western Sub Genre, this because the Western Westerns eg. "The Searchers", "My Darling Clementine", "Red River", "High Noon", "Shane" etc are Glamourised Westerns when as you and Tommy T both comment the actual American West was a dirty, brutal, hard and often traumatic era.

Some other excellent Revisionist Westerns are "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "A Man Called Horse"

My very favourite Western even more favourite than "High Plains Drifter" is "Once Upon A Time In The West" directed by Sergio Leone in 1968 and it has Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson, Jack Elam, Fonda against type for him is the bad character, of course a very long film but it is majestic and never sub standard. "Once Upon A Time In The West" in my Top 10 films, it is a great piece of art.

Unforgiven, revisionist western???? WTF???? That movie's closer to authentic western portrayal than almost any previous Hollywood western.
Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?

How much time have you spent in the American West, Toms?
In my head - half a lifetime. Physically - never. Its on my bucket list. The Alamo,ghost towns,Little Big Horn ,all of it.

You know, one of the better routes you could take would be to start at San Antonio and see the Alamo, then follow up through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming (lots of ghost towns in those states), and finally, end up at Little Big Horn in Montana. Follow that up by cutting past Devils Tower, and finally, end up in Deadwood and Sturgis SD.

Bring an appetite with you too............LOTS of good places to eat on the San Antonio riverwalk, as well as lots of good places to eat at Deadwood and Sturgis.
It will be a couple of years yet. Hope to take a few months over it.

You know, that was pretty much the route that I took back in 2003 from Amarillo TX to Sturgis, SD. Went up through the western side of CO around Durango and took the Million Dollar Highway up from there to Silverton and north from there up to Grand Junction (Durango to Silverton is a beautiful ride, as well as the rest where you go to a place called the Switzerland of the USA). Then from there, we cut up through Wyoming, went up to Thermopolis WY (EXCELLENT hot springs there, I recommend an overnight stay). Then went from there to Yellowstone Park, cut across Bear Tooth Pass (one of the top 10 scenic drives in the WORLD), went through Billings, stopped at Custer Battlefield, then over to Deadwood and Sturgis.

Going up there, we took about a week traveling. Coming back, we cut through Cheyanne, and went straight down the center of CO and then back to Amarillo. Coming back only took 2 days.

Start your tour in San Antonio, and you can use some of the route I did. Lots of old mines to see on the trip from Durango to Silverton, and when you get to Silverton, it's an old mining town that they turned into a tourist place. Lots of old buildings, and the 2 places I'd recommend stopping at in Silverton is the Handlebar Moustache Bar (if you have a handlebar moustache when you walk in, they put your picture on the wall), and there is also a little store that sells jerky from just about every kind of animal that it's legal to eat here in the US. There is alligator, elk, antelope, ostrich, just about any kind of meat you can think of is jerky.

And, don't forget to stop off at the overlook just before you get to Silverton from Durango. The view is breathtaking.

Ward Bond a great character actor, also Slim Pickens and also Walter Brennan in many old Westerns and yes watching them they LOOK like they are IN the Old West Era.

I look on Google to see who is in this remake of "The Magnificent Seven" and those I know Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio the others I have never even heard of in this film.

Not seen "Open Range" but I like Robert Duvall in EVERYTHING, Kevin Costner is okay. Recent I watch "Unforgiven" made in 1992 and directed and starring Clint Eastwood also Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris in this film, a Revisionist Western and excellent, I am not a great fan of Westerns in general but I like all with Clint Eastwood and he is in and directed in 1973 one of my favourite films "High Plains Drifter" which I think is a very good companion piece film to "Unforgiven"

If that makes sense ?

In my head - half a lifetime. Physically - never. Its on my bucket list. The Alamo,ghost towns,Little Big Horn ,all of it.

You know, one of the better routes you could take would be to start at San Antonio and see the Alamo, then follow up through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming (lots of ghost towns in those states), and finally, end up at Little Big Horn in Montana. Follow that up by cutting past Devils Tower, and finally, end up in Deadwood and Sturgis SD.

Bring an appetite with you too............LOTS of good places to eat on the San Antonio riverwalk, as well as lots of good places to eat at Deadwood and Sturgis.

And he'll need to dress the part. Maybe Wyatt Earp;

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

Or..................he could do it the way the modern day outlaws do, he could do it like I did. On a Harley Davidson, riding in full leather.

I think that westerns have become so rare that a lot of expertise has been lost. Actors like Ward Bond, Slim Pickens and so on.I could actually believe that these guys lived in the west. The look and sound,everything seemed more authentic. My daughter has told me that the guy playing Steves character is a big star but I have no idea who he is.

The last "new" western I really enjoyed was Open Range. Duvall and Costner are great actors and I believe them.

If that makes sense ?

The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.

This is why "Unforgiven" is in the Revisionist Western Sub Genre, this because the Western Westerns eg. "The Searchers", "My Darling Clementine", "Red River", "High Noon", "Shane" etc are Glamourised Westerns when as you and Tommy T both comment the actual American West was a dirty, brutal, hard and often traumatic era.

Some other excellent Revisionist Westerns are "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "A Man Called Horse"

My very favourite Western even more favourite than "High Plains Drifter" is "Once Upon A Time In The West" directed by Sergio Leone in 1968 and it has Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale, Jason Robards, Charles Bronson, Jack Elam, Fonda against type for him is the bad character, of course a very long film but it is majestic and never sub standard. "Once Upon A Time In The West" in my Top 10 films, it is a great piece of art.

I know that (revisionist) but as a historian we consider Hollywood revisionist........

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

Or..................he could do it the way the modern day outlaws do, he could do it like I did. On a Harley Davidson, riding in full leather.
Well, since he likes the fake westerns he could go as "New Jersey" from Buckaroo Banzai.........

430746_full.jpg

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

Not trite enough......

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

This is what they looked like.

upload_2019-2-9_0-41-55.jpeg

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

View attachment 244885
Maybe one or two........

If that makes sense ?

The Outlaw Josie Wales is an amazing movie.

If that makes sense ?

Wyatt-Earp-179x300.jpg

Or Bat Masterson;

Bat_Masterson_1879.jpg

View attachment 244885

Different cowboys affect different looks..today as in the past.

I know cowboys who look and dress like John Wayne in that photo..real working cowboys.

I also know cowboys who are extremely dapper and neat and tidy...and they are also real working cowboys.

It kind of matters when you catch them..whether they're doctoring calves or going to a dance.

If that makes sense ?

^^^^ koshergrl thinks the above is um funny. Now a Full On Troll, okay whatever.

The remake of The Magnificent Seven was remade to be politically correct. That's why it sucked so badly.

If that makes sense ?

Oh I thought you thought it was FUNNY, like "Once Upon A Time In The West" you think FUNNY, go away and Troll some other thread. This thread is for those who want to have an NORMAL discussion about films.

I have to post horse pics
grandma and scout.jpg
day.jpg
honey.jpg
kids on fizz bomb.jpg

This ^^isn't me ;) It's my ex sister in law.
roan colt.jpg
the stevenses in 1903 at ten mile.jpg

Family friends, my aunt married into the family so I have cousins who are Stevenses. I think the smaller woman died of a burst appendix.

If that makes sense ?

Oh I thought you thought it was FUNNY, like "Once Upon A Time In The West" you think FUNNY, go away and Troll some other thread. This thread is for those who want to have an NORMAL discussion about films.
No I love that movie.

I have to post horse pics View attachment 244888 View attachment 244889 View attachment 244890 View attachment 244891
This ^^isn't me ;) It's my ex sister in law.
View attachment 244892 View attachment 244893
Family friends, my aunt married into the family so I have cousins who are Stevenses. I think the smaller woman died of a burst appendix.

Horses the most majestic creatures. I will not Funny your post like you would Funny it if ANYONE else would have posted it, I do not do that type of Troll thing I only Funny if the comments and/or picture is you know funny.

If that makes sense ?

You can watch it many times and still get something out of it.

I don't think I've ever seen so many good actors in such a shitty movie at one time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back