Magnificent Seven remake

Saw this last night and wasnt really impressed.

It lacked star presence , the actors all looked the same and spoke in grunts which made it hard to understand them at times.

The characters in the original were well defined and their characters fleshed out. I didnt feel that with this one.I only recognised Denzel and he seemed a bit half hearted. Like he knew it wasnt worth much effort.

I love watching Westerns but modern films that are worth watching are few and far between.

The Denzel Washington version was perhaps the worst film I ever seen based only on the fact that the first one had so much texture, character, and (for want of a better term)…charm. “We work for you” still gets me and I often say it at work even though I’m the boss (sort of); I practice something I call servant leadership. I’m often telling the nurses and techs that “I work for you”…”how can I help”. Hardly anyone knows but I got it from TM7

Like I said, one of the more pivotal moments in the original was when they sat down to a feast, but then realized the villagers were going hungry to feed them good so they could fight. When they realized that, they took the food back to the villagers and shared with them. IMHO, that was the point where the villagers realized they were there, not so much for the money, but because they wanted to help.
Gillette's Ad on Toxic Masculinity Made Men Mad — And That's the Problem
Gillette recently launched a new advertising campaign that tackles the fraught but buzz-worthy issue of toxic masculinity.
Do I need to present any thing more on why movies today are so fucked up?

Yeah, you kinda do. WTF does realizing that villagers are going hungry to make sure you are well fed and then deciding to share with them have to do with "toxic masculinity". If anything, that scene showed although they were fighters and hard men, they also had a human side and some compassion. That is anything BUT "toxic masculinity".

If they had realized it, shrugged their shoulders and laughed that they had good fortune without sharing, then THAT would be "toxic masculinity".
Just like those toxic men back in WWII who would give up their rations so some kid in Germany could eat. Yeah, you fuckers really know all about masculinity.

View attachment 244707

Nobody wore pajamas in the 40’s?

The Denzel Washington version was perhaps the worst film I ever seen based only on the fact that the first one had so much texture, character, and (for want of a better term)…charm. “We work for you” still gets me and I often say it at work even though I’m the boss (sort of); I practice something I call servant leadership. I’m often telling the nurses and techs that “I work for you”…”how can I help”. Hardly anyone knows but I got it from TM7

Like I said, one of the more pivotal moments in the original was when they sat down to a feast, but then realized the villagers were going hungry to feed them good so they could fight. When they realized that, they took the food back to the villagers and shared with them. IMHO, that was the point where the villagers realized they were there, not so much for the money, but because they wanted to help.
Gillette's Ad on Toxic Masculinity Made Men Mad — And That's the Problem
Gillette recently launched a new advertising campaign that tackles the fraught but buzz-worthy issue of toxic masculinity.
Do I need to present any thing more on why movies today are so fucked up?

Yeah, you kinda do. WTF does realizing that villagers are going hungry to make sure you are well fed and then deciding to share with them have to do with "toxic masculinity". If anything, that scene showed although they were fighters and hard men, they also had a human side and some compassion. That is anything BUT "toxic masculinity".

If they had realized it, shrugged their shoulders and laughed that they had good fortune without sharing, then THAT would be "toxic masculinity".
Just like those toxic men back in WWII who would give up their rations so some kid in Germany could eat. Yeah, you fuckers really know all about masculinity.

View attachment 244707

Nobody wore pajamas in the 40’s?

Yes they did also in films of the 1940s EVERYONE wearing pajamas to go to the bed.

It lacked star presence , the actors all looked the same and spoke in grunts which made it hard to understand them at times.

The characters in the original were well defined and their characters fleshed out. I didnt feel that with this one.I only recognised Denzel and he seemed a bit half hearted. Like he knew it wasnt worth much effort.

I love watching Westerns but modern films that are worth watching are few and far between.
I record and watch every old western if I’ve never seen it before. I have about 6 on dvr. I found this obscure religious channel that also plays old westerns. Old white religious people must like westerns too. Anyways, I’m not religious but I like the channel

I don’t think I saw this new 7 with Denzel. I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait. Lol. For cable tv that is.

It might have been better if they had got a few more stars in it. But where is the modern Steve McQueen ?

There is no modern Steve McQueen there is no modern version of ANY of the classic actors or actresses they are irreplaceable eg. how could there EVER be a modern version of Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis or Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Joseph Cotten?

I HATE remakes of films of course the original version of "The Magnificent Seven" was a remake in American Western style of Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" which was made in 1954 with Toshiro Mifune and is 100 times superior to "The Magnificent Seven"

They are threatening to do a remake of "The Wild Bunch" WHY? How can you IMPROVE on William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Warren Oates and the direction of Sam Peckinpah? You CAN NOT improve. Anyone who does a remake in my opinion should be taken out and shot.

I think that westerns have become so rare that a lot of expertise has been lost. Actors like Ward Bond, Slim Pickens and so on.I could actually believe that these guys lived in the west. The look and sound,everything seemed more authentic. My daughter has told me that the guy playing Steves character is a big star but I have no idea who he is.

The last "new" western I really enjoyed was Open Range. Duvall and Costner are great actors and I believe them.

Guys used to have real jobs and got discovered. I think McQueen got his masothelioma (sp?) from doing sand blasting.

William Shatner is an accomplished horseman.

Even Pierce Brosnan was a circus performer before becoming the cheesy actor we know him to be

I think you get some credibility as an actor when you know who you are supposed to be portraying

It might have been better if they had got a few more stars in it. But where is the modern Steve McQueen ?

There is no modern Steve McQueen there is no modern version of ANY of the classic actors or actresses they are irreplaceable eg. how could there EVER be a modern version of Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis or Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Joseph Cotten?

I HATE remakes of films of course the original version of "The Magnificent Seven" was a remake in American Western style of Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" which was made in 1954 with Toshiro Mifune and is 100 times superior to "The Magnificent Seven"

They are threatening to do a remake of "The Wild Bunch" WHY? How can you IMPROVE on William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Warren Oates and the direction of Sam Peckinpah? You CAN NOT improve. Anyone who does a remake in my opinion should be taken out and shot.

I think that westerns have become so rare that a lot of expertise has been lost. Actors like Ward Bond, Slim Pickens and so on.I could actually believe that these guys lived in the west. The look and sound,everything seemed more authentic. My daughter has told me that the guy playing Steves character is a big star but I have no idea who he is.

The last "new" western I really enjoyed was Open Range. Duvall and Costner are great actors and I believe them.

Ward Bond a great character actor, also Slim Pickens and also Walter Brennan in many old Westerns and yes watching them they LOOK like they are IN the Old West Era.

I look on Google to see who is in this remake of "The Magnificent Seven" and those I know Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio the others I have never even heard of in this film.

Not seen "Open Range" but I like Robert Duvall in EVERYTHING, Kevin Costner is okay. Recent I watch "Unforgiven" made in 1992 and directed and starring Clint Eastwood also Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris in this film, a Revisionist Western and excellent, I am not a great fan of Westerns in general but I like all with Clint Eastwood and he is in and directed in 1973 one of my favourite films "High Plains Drifter" which I think is a very good companion piece film to "Unforgiven"

This the original trailer "High Plains Drifter"

This the original trailer "Unforgiven"

Ward Bond a great character actor, also Slim Pickens and also Walter Brennan in many old Westerns and yes watching them they LOOK like they are IN the Old West Era.

I look on Google to see who is in this remake of "The Magnificent Seven" and those I know Denzel Washington, Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio the others I have never even heard of in this film.

Not seen "Open Range" but I like Robert Duvall in EVERYTHING, Kevin Costner is okay. Recent I watch "Unforgiven" made in 1992 and directed and starring Clint Eastwood also Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris in this film, a Revisionist Western and excellent, I am not a great fan of Westerns in general but I like all with Clint Eastwood and he is in and directed in 1973 one of my favourite films "High Plains Drifter" which I think is a very good companion piece film to "Unforgiven"

Unforgiven, revisionist western???? WTF???? That movie's closer to authentic western portrayal than almost any previous Hollywood western.

Yeah, I saw that piece of crap a few months back and was also unimpressed.

Know what pissed me off the most? They left out 2 of the best parts of the movie. The first one was when they were sitting down to eat at a loaded table, and they realize that the villagers are giving them the lion's share of the food, and they go back out and share their food with the villagers.

The other part was where those boys were hanging around that one dude, and when he got killed, they talked about how good a man he was.

I agree with you Tommy, the remake SUCKED.
I liked the remake but then again I don't attempt to compare remakes with the original because I know they're not going to be the same. I see them as what they are, two completely different films.

Unforgiven, revisionist western???? WTF???? That movie's closer to authentic western portrayal than almost any previous Hollywood western.

Well yes but "Unforgiven" is described as a Revisionist Western in that Sub Genre.

Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?

Well yes but "Unforgiven" is described as a Revisionist Western in that Sub Genre.

Probably because it's not true Hollywood/dime novel western myth.

Its a very unglamourous view of the west. Miserable . dirty and a bit dark. I think you can call it revisionist compared to other westerns.Certainly westerns from the 50s and 60s. I am sure that it was pretty accurate in its portrayal.

I think that Unforgiven is one of those films that everyone respects but doesnt take to their hearts. A bit like Apocalypse Now which was a brilliant series of set pieces but lacking a heart.

If you compare Unforgiven to Open Range I would prefer Open Range because it has a heart.

If that makes sense ?

The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.

Last edited:

If that makes sense ?

The 50s and 60s Hollywood westerns are not even a close representation of the real west, they're representations of the mythological American west. The real west was dirty, hard, course and yes often miserable. Most people out west were not cowboys or cow boys (derogatory term) as they were known. Most were homesteaders and miners working out a hardscrabble and often miserable life. Both Unforgiven and Open Range are fairly close representations of the unglamorous real west.

I prefer the myth.

We agree on something.
The remake SUCKS.

If that makes sense ?

How much time have you spent in the American West, Toms?

If that makes sense ?

I prefer the myth.

Then you'd love Silverado, all the old Hollywood/dime novel myths rolled into one movie.

If that makes sense ?

I prefer the myth.

Then you'd love Silverado, all the old Hollywood/dime novel myths rolled into one movie.

You know its one film I have never seen. I will have a look for it.

If that makes sense ?

In my head - half a lifetime. Physically - never. Its on my bucket list. The Alamo,ghost towns,Little Big Horn ,all of it.

If that makes sense ?

In my head - half a lifetime. Physically - never. Its on my bucket list. The Alamo,ghost towns,Little Big Horn ,all of it.

You know, one of the better routes you could take would be to start at San Antonio and see the Alamo, then follow up through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming (lots of ghost towns in those states), and finally, end up at Little Big Horn in Montana. Follow that up by cutting past Devils Tower, and finally, end up in Deadwood and Sturgis SD.

Bring an appetite with you too............LOTS of good places to eat on the San Antonio riverwalk, as well as lots of good places to eat at Deadwood and Sturgis.

If that makes sense ?

You know, one of the better routes you could take would be to start at San Antonio and see the Alamo, then follow up through New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming (lots of ghost towns in those states), and finally, end up at Little Big Horn in Montana. Follow that up by cutting past Devils Tower, and finally, end up in Deadwood and Sturgis SD.

Bring an appetite with you too............LOTS of good places to eat on the San Antonio riverwalk, as well as lots of good places to eat at Deadwood and Sturgis.

It will be a couple of years yet. Hope to take a few months over it.

Forum List

Back