Magnificent Seven remake

Pretty much every spaghetti western ever made........

He probably means the M7 remake, most people watch a remake expecting to see the exact same movie with different actors. Many times the film they love is itself a remake of an earlier film.

Let's be honest. A lot of people are blinded by nostalgia. Most movies before the 1990s or so sucked ass.
I would say the opposite. But that might be an age thing. I dont think that they make films for me any more. These wretched marvel movies are the modern day westerns and before them the star wars type films were the modern westerns. And the star wars genre provides the reference points for todays directors. Its just explosions with a John Williams soundtrack.
I would revise his statement to; most movies between the 1960s and 1990s sucked ass. To put that into perspective there's around 600 movies released per year in the US alone.
Thats probably a thread in itself. When was the best time for movies ? Probably depends on what sort of films you like.
Personal preference. I like the 40s & 50s movies, the 60s, 70s & 80s had some good ones but for me they were few and far between, the 90s onwards is a mixed bag.
Not a major Eastwood fan, basically hated all his spaghetti westerns, Wayne for me is a mixed bag, some really good, some not so good.
Im not a fan of spag westerns either. Josey Wales is the best of Eastwoods work. I do like John Waynes films. I find him a reassuring presence.
Shane was playing on tv this week and its a film that I cant see getting made today. Certainly better than anything made in the last 50 years.

What was that 90s Western with Leonardo DiCaprio and Gene Hackman called? That one wasn't bad.

The best Western ever was Cowboys & Aliens. It was about cowboys... fighting aliens. Beat that shit.

Beat that shit? Simple..................back in the early 2000's, there was a series called "Firefly", which was basically a spaghetti western set in space.

Game. Set. Match.

It might have been better if they had got a few more stars in it. But where is the modern Steve McQueen ?

There is no modern Steve McQueen there is no modern version of ANY of the classic actors or actresses they are irreplaceable eg. how could there EVER be a modern version of Barbara Stanwyck or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis or Humphrey Bogart or Orson Welles or Joseph Cotten?

I HATE remakes of films of course the original version of "The Magnificent Seven" was a remake in American Western style of Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" which was made in 1954 with Toshiro Mifune and is 100 times superior to "The Magnificent Seven"

They are threatening to do a remake of "The Wild Bunch" WHY? How can you IMPROVE on William Holden, Ernest Borgnine, Edmond O'Brien, Warren Oates and the direction of Sam Peckinpah? You CAN NOT improve. Anyone who does a remake in my opinion should be taken out and shot.

Never seen that: will watch it now. Looks like a young Shintaro...hmm.

Greg

The best Western ever was Cowboys & Aliens. It was about cowboys... fighting aliens. Beat that shit.

Beat that shit? Simple..................back in the early 2000's, there was a series called "Firefly", which was basically a spaghetti western set in space.

Game. Set. Match.

Queer.

Fuck off ya goddamn pedant. Go please purists.

Hey! I'd probably kick your ass if I knew what pedant meant. :mad:

STOP remaking movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stop it!

you will never get as good as them in the past!

don't you have a brain cell or two left.... to think of a NEW theme on a movie over there in the West Coast????

my GOD ....what idiots those Hollyweird morons are!

I don't think I've ever seen so many good actors in such a shitty movie at one time.
Which film ?

He probably means the M7 remake, most people watch a remake expecting to see the exact same movie with different actors. Many times the film they love is itself a remake of an earlier film.

Let's be honest. A lot of people are blinded by nostalgia. Most movies before the 1990s or so sucked ass.
I would say the opposite. But that might be an age thing. I dont think that they make films for me any more. These wretched marvel movies are the modern day westerns and before them the star wars type films were the modern westerns. And the star wars genre provides the reference points for todays directors. Its just explosions with a John Williams soundtrack.
I would revise his statement to; most movies between the 1960s and 1990s sucked ass. To put that into perspective there's around 600 movies released per year in the US alone.
Worth watching:

Greg

stop it!

don't you have a brain cell or two left.... to think of a NEW theme on a movie over there in the West Coast????

The Hollywood version of La Femme Nikita was awful!!

Greg

stop it!

Idiots? Apparently you don't realize it's all about money and ownership, renewing the copyrights......... Same with songs, why do you think they get redone?

Which film ?

Worth watching:

Greg

Not one of the genres I'm interested in but thanks anyway.

Thats probably a thread in itself. When was the best time for movies ? Probably depends on what sort of films you like.
Personal preference. I like the 40s & 50s movies, the 60s, 70s & 80s had some good ones but for me they were few and far between, the 90s onwards is a mixed bag.
Not a major Eastwood fan, basically hated all his spaghetti westerns, Wayne for me is a mixed bag, some really good, some not so good.
Im not a fan of spag westerns either. Josey Wales is the best of Eastwoods work. I do like John Waynes films. I find him a reassuring presence.
Shane was playing on tv this week and its a film that I cant see getting made today. Certainly better than anything made in the last 50 years.
Josey Wales was a fantasy western, well done but still a fantasy, Unforgiven is his best western and the most historically accurate.
Wayne's most historically accurate films were Rio Grande and The Shootist, The Cowboys was fairly accurate also everything else was primarily Hollywood's version of the west.

Game. Set. Match.

Queer.

Fuck off ya goddamn pedant. Go please purists.

Hey! I'd probably kick your ass if I knew what pedant meant. :mad:

Yeah, sure, okay..........................chances of you kicking anyone's ass from USMB is about the same as that of the proverbial tissue paper dog catching the asbestos cat on a chase through Hell.

And, since you don't know what pedant means, let me express my view of you another way, you cock smoking colon jousting pud pulling rump ranger.

The original M-7 (1960) was about the last of the old Hollywood stuff. The plot was as common as a western plot can be (based on Japanese folklore) where the good guys rescue the downtrodden peasants but the star quality of McQueen, Brynner, Vaughn, Bronson, James Coburn Eli Wallach as his evil best was hard to beat. Favorite scene: When Coburn uncoils like a snake and hits the cowboy with a knife. They don't make stuff like that today except in digital cartoons. The remake was bland.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back