Magnificent Seven Remake

Yul Brynner was the shizzle. And that is all. Dad is bad there is no other. This is one of my favorite all time movies. There is a small .........tiny.........part of me that wants to see this so they better not screw it up.

The only member of the Original Magnificent 7 still living is Robert Vaughn .

The bandit, Calvera, (Eli Wallach), lived longer than all but him.

I saw bits and pieces or both Seven Samurai and Magnificent seven, and the conceit behind these films just didn't work for me. Good acting in both, good cinematography. Hired professional killers , freelancers fighting corruption seems more violent male fantasy than reality. Why remake them? If Hollywood thinks they can milk a premise till it's dry, they will.

Yul Brynner was the shizzle. And that is all. Dad is bad there is no other. This is one of my favorite all time movies. There is a small .........tiny.........part of me that wants to see this so they better not screw it up.

The only member of the Original Magnificent 7 still living is Robert Vaughn .

The bandit, Calvera, (Eli Wallach), lived longer than all but him.

Best dialogue:
[Calvera has just captured the Seven]

Calvera: What I don't understand is why a man like you took the job in the first place, hmm? Why, huh?

Chris: I wonder myself.

Calvera: No, come on, come on, tell me why.

Vin: It's like a fellow I once knew in El Paso. One day, he just took all his clothes off and jumped in a mess of cactus. I asked him that same question, "Why?"

Calvera: And?

Vin: He said, "It seemed to be a good idea at the time."

Greatest dialogue!

As a kid when I wanted to sit in the middle of a car I would say....I'll ride shotgun. Just like the other kids around me. But, it took this movie to realize that technically that is impossible.

Last edited:
Because there are things you don't do in life and one of them is jack with a Kurasawa flic.

God forbid studios make old movies watchable. They might accidentally throw in good acting and realistic effects.
That's what they should do. But they rarely re-make a classic movie that's better than the original.

One does immediately come to mind, though: 'A Perfect Murder' starring Michael Douglas and Gwyneth Paltrow is better than Hitchcock's 'Dial M For Murder'.

However Michael Douglas and Gwyneth Paltrow are no match for Ray Milland and Grace Kelly, for one thing, Paltrow in a million years could never be as effortlessly elegant as Grace Kelly.
A Perfect Murder is a better movie.

This feels like it would feel if they remade The Godfather or Citizen Kane or The Ten Commandments.

Why, motherfuckers? Why?!?

Hilarious outrage.

Since Magnificent 7 was a remake of Kurosawa's 7 Samurai.

I like the Magnificent Seven- but Seven Samurai is far, far better.

God forbid studios make old movies watchable. They might accidentally throw in good acting and realistic effects.
That's what they should do. But they rarely re-make a classic movie that's better than the original.

One does immediately come to mind, though: 'A Perfect Murder' starring Michael Douglas and Gwyneth Paltrow is better than Hitchcock's 'Dial M For Murder'.

I have nothing against Douglas and Paltrow, and I'm not sure if I saw the movie.

But I find it hard to believe they could have done a better job than Kelly, Cummings and Milland
Viggo Mortensen is the third one.

A paragraph from the NYTimes review in 1998:

To describe any more of the plot, which departs significantly from its source, would be to give too much away. But the story has enough nasty twists and tantalizing clues for its ingenious mechanics to remain engaging. Where the 1954 version starring Ray Milland, Grace Kelly and Robert Cummings had the clunky feeling of a filmed play, this update, directed by Andrew Davis from a screenplay by Patrick Smith Kelly, is much more fluent and sensuous. Its vision of late-90's Manhattan as a luxurious shark tank filled with chic cold fish is quite similar to the picture of the city drawn by ''The Devil's Advocate.''​

I know, I looked it up.

I still go with Milland and Kelley

Forum List

Back