Magical Thinking Dominates Tea Party GOP Debate

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Unfortunately, it is not the anti-imperialist strain of Paul’s thinking that his competitors have adopted. Instead, Paul’s bizarre opposition to the Federal Reserve has caught on. Paul actually believes in “sound money” such as a gold standard rather than letting the Fed manage the money supply. He went on about it ad nauseam during Republican administrations as well. But Rick Perry—who called Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke’s easing the money supply “almost treasonous”—Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have discovered their commitment to “sound money” only since President Obama took office. All the candidates who spoke about the Fed said they wanted to eliminate its mandate to combat unemployment, so as to focus only on inflation. That’s a curious concern when unemployment is high and inflation is low, but it takes away from the federal government a major tool for turning around a weak economy. When there’s a Democrat in office, Republicans consider that a feature, not a bug, in the proposal. Republicans would worsen future recessions not only by handcuffing the Fed but by handcuffing the elected branches of the federal government as well. The “Balanced Budget Amendment” that they all support and Rommey talked up in the debate would cap government spending as a proportion of gross domestic product. That means when the economy shrinks and government spending automatically increases as a share of GDP because the denominator is smaller, the government would have to cut spending. No economist would approve, but Herbert Hoover must be smiling in his grave.

Health insurance is another example of Republicans’ magical thinking. They all hate “Obamacare” and promise to repeal it. But what would they do instead about 45 million uninsured Americans and rising healthcare costs? Nothing, except for warmed-over ideas like tort reform from Herman Cain and health savings accounts from Mitt Romney. Bachmann, as is her wont, ignored a question of how to treat the uninsured with her repeated talking points about how evil Obamacare is and how no one can match the intensity of her opposition to it. The most honest answer, as usual, came from Paul, who implied that he would let the uninsured die, saying they would “take responsibility” for their choice not to buy insurance. “That’s what freedom is all about,” says Paul. The freedom to die, that is. Instead of admitting that his policy would condemn to death the uninsured, he claimed that churches would pick up the slack. And, if they don’t, then surely the tooth fairy will.

Magical Thinking Dominates Tea Party GOP Debate | The Nation

Strange folks around here bitch because I share articles. Apparently, I was supposed to write the article myself? Dunno. I think everybody posts articles they agree with.

It's the nature of a message board that people share. If you don't like how they do so, tough.

Unfortunately, it is not the anti-imperialist strain of Paul’s thinking that his competitors have adopted. Instead, Paul’s bizarre opposition to the Federal Reserve has caught on. Paul actually believes in “sound money” such as a gold standard rather than letting the Fed manage the money supply. He went on about it ad nauseam during Republican administrations as well. But Rick Perry—who called Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke’s easing the money supply “almost treasonous”—Michele Bachmann and Rick Santorum have discovered their commitment to “sound money” only since President Obama took office. All the candidates who spoke about the Fed said they wanted to eliminate its mandate to combat unemployment, so as to focus only on inflation. That’s a curious concern when unemployment is high and inflation is low, but it takes away from the federal government a major tool for turning around a weak economy. When there’s a Democrat in office, Republicans consider that a feature, not a bug, in the proposal. Republicans would worsen future recessions not only by handcuffing the Fed but by handcuffing the elected branches of the federal government as well. The “Balanced Budget Amendment” that they all support and Rommey talked up in the debate would cap government spending as a proportion of gross domestic product. That means when the economy shrinks and government spending automatically increases as a share of GDP because the denominator is smaller, the government would have to cut spending. No economist would approve, but Herbert Hoover must be smiling in his grave.

Health insurance is another example of Republicans’ magical thinking. They all hate “Obamacare” and promise to repeal it. But what would they do instead about 45 million uninsured Americans and rising healthcare costs? Nothing, except for warmed-over ideas like tort reform from Herman Cain and health savings accounts from Mitt Romney. Bachmann, as is her wont, ignored a question of how to treat the uninsured with her repeated talking points about how evil Obamacare is and how no one can match the intensity of her opposition to it. The most honest answer, as usual, came from Paul, who implied that he would let the uninsured die, saying they would “take responsibility” for their choice not to buy insurance. “That’s what freedom is all about,” says Paul. The freedom to die, that is. Instead of admitting that his policy would condemn to death the uninsured, he claimed that churches would pick up the slack. And, if they don’t, then surely the tooth fairy will.

Strange folks around here bitch because I share articles. Apparently, I was supposed to write the article myself? Dunno. I think everybody posts articles they agree with.
It's the nature of a message board that people share. If you don't like how they do so, tough.

The difference is when someone with a brain does it they dont substitute it as their own opinion. In fact most offer and in depth opinion of their own about the article. You on the other hand are just spoon fed by the left and unable to articulate your own position.

So, what's this, like 5 stupid threads today alone? My favorite is the one where BedPoop claims Obama is the CIC of Congress by equating any Congressional dissent with insubordination.

You're a freaking moron and full of shit to boot. yep.

It's not the government's responsibility to care for me from cradle to grave. My healthcare, or lack there of, is not the government's responsibility nor any of their business if I have it or not. America was not founded to give everybody "free" anything except the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

• Banned
Man, do I know how to attract the PMS-During-a-Full-Moon Brigade, or what.

I can't help wondering how their mental illness presented before the advent of the internet.

Man, do I know how to attract the PMS-During-a-Full-Moon Brigade, or what.

I can't help wondering how their mental illness presented before the advent of the internet.

You get this response all the time not because of some silly made up reason. Ever wonder why? Or are you just too stupid to care?

Maybe, just maybe if you didnt always post left wing mumbojumbo and pulled an article from a reputable website once and awhile you wouldnt have to be the community punching bag.

But by all means stick your head back in the sand and continue to wonder why you get the reception you do. Probably the same reason you've been banned on other sites.

New Topics

Forum List

Back