Maga Hats, Chaperones, and Catholic Boys, a Priest opinion.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
What seems clear to me is that rather than stand their adolescent ground in a confrontational and seemingly mocking way, the boys should have simply turned away. In fact, in his exclusive interview with NBC's Savannah Guthrie, Nick Sandmann, the student who went face-to-face with Nathan Phillips said as much: "In hindsight I wish we could've walked away and avoided the whole thing." I couldn't agree more. If they felt confronted, he and his classmates should have paid heed to the Christian dictum of "turn the other cheek" rather than to thrust both cheeks into the face of an elder about whom they knew nothing. Boys are seen laughing at and mocking their elder. It is wrong, plain and simple.

Secondly, where were the chaperones during this encounter? The situation had obviously escalated after the racial and homophobic jeers of the religious group known as the Black Hebrew Israelites. Immediately, adults should have stepped in to defuse the situation. They should have moved the boys away and surrounded them until their bus arrived. That is what chaperones do for young people not yet mature enough to make wise and prudent choices. Instead, these boys were left to fend for themselves and as a result acted in unwise and disrespectful ways.

Lastly, I don't think the boys should have been permitted to wear MAGA hats to the March for Life event they attended. The "Make America Great Again" slogan has become political code for an agenda that is often in opposition with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

The boys attended the march representing a Catholic boys' school. Any hat donned should have had the school name or a logo identifying them as participants in the March for Life event -- not a hat with a logo that may suggest stances not in accord with the mission statement of their school.

The Catholic Church's pro-life teaching encompasses a panoply of issues such as: abortion, immigration, capital punishment, the environment and climate change, sex trafficking, and the inequitable distribution of the world's resources. Some claim the "MAGA philosophy" is not in accord with church teaching on many of these issues. Teachers and chaperones from the Catholic school should have discouraged students from, however unwittingly, promoting a questionable partisan political agenda.

The hate mail and threats I have received since my tweet and my on-air appearances about this issue on CNN and HLN have astounded me. Supposed Christians have said the most vile and uncharitable things imaginable. It is further indication of the vast political, racial and religious divides that still exist in our country.

MAGA hats don't belong on a Catholic school trip (Opinion) - CNN

I can't agree more with the Catholic Priest, but then I'm an older generation Catholic, but never have I seen such disrespect. They new young generation of Catholics are becoming like Evangelicals and fox news Catholics. (my opinion- not the Fathers)
Father Edward Beck (@FrEdwardBeck) | Twitter

Last edited:
upload_2019-1-24_1-59-52.png

Those boys represent "Christ" and the Roman soldier was the Indian spitting in his face.

Where were they supposed to go? Into the road?
Ironic yet appropriate for a democrat fascist to put the onus of liberty forfeiture onto Americans standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Where were the chaperones when the Hebrews were yelling at them, they should of got the boys out of range at the bus stop. Where do you think they went, it ended when the bus came.

The CNN "older generation" pedophiles and homos are full of shit! The high school kid should have smacked that fake ass Indian for getting in his face after enduring that INSANE, GENOCIDAL, HATE, RACIST shit preached by the Congressional Black Hebrews.

Fake News CNN, NY Times, HuffPo etc., describe the Congressional Black Hebrews as "street preachers." :p

Ironic yet appropriate for a democrat fascist to put the onus of liberty forfeiture onto Americans standing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

Where were the chaperones when the Hebrews were yelling at them, they should of got the boys out of range at the bus stop. Where do you think they went, it ended when the bus came.
You ever heard of high school kids at bus stops? You think the Lincoln Memorial is a dangerous ghetto?

The CNN "older generation" pedophiles and homos are full of shit! The high school kid should have smacked that fake ass Indian for getting in his face after enduring that INSANE, GENOCIDAL, HATE, RACIST shit preached by the Congressional Black Hebrews.

Fake News CNN, NY Times, HuffPo etc., describe the Congressional Black Hebrews as "street preachers." :p

He even said he wished he hadn't done that and his Mom thought he was praying. Yes he should of , then he would of got a police report but the boy lawyered up already. He would of got away with it, Trump would of been on his side.

What seems clear to me is that rather than stand their adolescent ground in a confrontational and seemingly mocking way, the boys should have simply turned away. In fact, in his exclusive interview with NBC's Savannah Guthrie, Nick Sandmann, the student who went face-to-face with Nathan Phillips said as much: "In hindsight I wish we could've walked away and avoided the whole thing." I couldn't agree more. If they felt confronted, he and his classmates should have paid heed to the Christian dictum of "turn the other cheek" rather than to thrust both cheeks into the face of an elder about whom they knew nothing. Boys are seen laughing at and mocking their elder. It is wrong, plain and simple.

Secondly, where were the chaperones during this encounter? The situation had obviously escalated after the racial and homophobic jeers of the religious group known as the Black Hebrew Israelites. Immediately, adults should have stepped in to defuse the situation. They should have moved the boys away and surrounded them until their bus arrived. That is what chaperones do for young people not yet mature enough to make wise and prudent choices. Instead, these boys were left to fend for themselves and as a result acted in unwise and disrespectful ways.

Lastly, I don't think the boys should have been permitted to wear MAGA hats to the March for Life event they attended. The "Make America Great Again" slogan has become political code for an agenda that is often in opposition with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.

The boys attended the march representing a Catholic boys' school. Any hat donned should have had the school name or a logo identifying them as participants in the March for Life event -- not a hat with a logo that may suggest stances not in accord with the mission statement of their school.

The Catholic Church's pro-life teaching encompasses a panoply of issues such as: abortion, immigration, capital punishment, the environment and climate change, sex trafficking, and the inequitable distribution of the world's resources. Some claim the "MAGA philosophy" is not in accord with church teaching on many of these issues. Teachers and chaperones from the Catholic school should have discouraged students from, however unwittingly, promoting a questionable partisan political agenda.

The hate mail and threats I have received since my tweet and my on-air appearances about this issue on CNN and HLN have astounded me. Supposed Christians have said the most vile and uncharitable things imaginable. It is further indication of the vast political, racial and religious divides that still exist in our country.

I can't agree more with the Catholic Priest, but then I'm an older generation Catholic, but never have I seen such disrespect. They new young generation of Catholics are becoming like Evangelicals and fox news Catholics. (my opinion- not the Fathers)

Talking points, talking points, all we have are talking points! We used to be Free Thinkers but now we're trapped in George's 1984!!!!

I bet you don't get the reference Penny

Penny picking on teenagers. High school Juniors.

These Lefties are so enlightened these days aren't they?

Picking on teenage boys, they should of known better and so should the Chaperones. I am very conservative, and therefore I respect my elders and I expect all kids and teens do as well.

Talking points, talking points, all we have are talking points! We used to be Free Thinkers but now we're trapped in George's 1984!!!!

No I do not know what you mean, spell it out , nice and clear.

You ever heard of high school kids at bus stops? You think the Lincoln Memorial is a dangerous ghetto?

Anywhere could of been dangerous and the chaperones should of known better, by the way, where were they??

Here's the funny thing about it... I had had conducted myself like that when I was in High School, the Christian Brothers would have slapped me upside the head. Apparently, their parents are spending $8000 a year and the little bastards aren't learning any manners.

So let's be clear, they were WHITE high school juniors.

We just had a trial here in Chicago, where a white cop shot a BLACK High School Junior, 16 times. The stance of his defense was that this kid was a little hoodlum who deserved to be shot. He got a slap on the wrist, the other cops who engaged in a coverup were acquitted by a judge.

LaQuan McDonald. Tamir Rice. Michael Brown. Funny, the whole, "they are just kids' defense doesn't seem to fly when you are black.

You people are pathetic. To hell with all of you.

I agree. Ted Nugent and fellow pedophile Roy Moore are full of shit. Good call. However the idea that only white people can screech hate and racism is a bit stupid.

That he didn't clock the Injun was proof enough that he was well brought up. I dread to think what Trayvon or Big Mike would have done.

So moral of the story is white boys should always run away when confronted by hateful bigots.

What a message.

Forum List

Back