Madrassas in our public schools

How do you know for sure that silent prayer is the ONLY thing going on? And what about before and after prayers when the students co-mingle? There appears to be ample opportunity for "subversive meetings". What if some self-declared teenager imam with terrorist tendencies began prayer time with his special thoughts? Hello Columbine?

Just because it SAYS what is going on does not mean that is what is ACTUALLY going on.

Are you actually asking him to prove the negative. Even though you have no evidence that anything but prayer is going on, you are actually implying that he can't make his case unless he proves to you that nothing other than prayer is going on. Do you expect him to make a trip to San Diego and report back to you?

You are fucking unbelievable.

Are you actually asking him to prove the negative. Even though you have no evidence that anything but prayer is going on, you are actually implying that he can't make his case unless he proves to you that nothing other than prayer is going on. Do you expect him to make a trip to San Diego and report back to you?

Why shouldn't he prove the negative to support his argument? I can prove "the positive"...that terrorism breeds within Muslim prayer groups.

Even moderate Muslims recognize it as fact. Here's their very own guidelines to fight terrorism...within their very own groups.
http://www.mpac.org/ngcft/mosque-guidelines/

Not so fucking unbelievable anymore, is it? (sorry if that was too harsh;) )

Why shouldn't he prove the negative to support his argument? I can prove "the positive"...that terrorism breeds within Muslim prayer groups.

Even moderate Muslims recognize it as fact. Here's their very own guidelines to fight terrorism...within their very own groups.

Not so fucking unbelievable anymore, is it? (sorry if that was too harsh;) )

Well, it is nice that you attempt to prove the positive. You should expect no more of anyone else, as proving the negative is a silly standard to uphold in any kind of discussion. [What??? You can't prove to me that the Baltimore Ravens are terrorists? Then I should assume that they are!]

Is there some connection between terrorism, on the one hand, and certain Muslim spriritual centers, on the other? Of course. That is why we refer to them as religious fanatics. However, just because because some nutcases attend a Christian church in Georgia, and then conspire to blow an abortion clinic, that doesn't mean that every (or christianity) church is a breeding ground for terrorism.

I find it particularly interesting that you referred to the Muslim Affairs Council site on fighting terrorism to support your case. Hmmm... think about that.

Well, it is nice that you attempt to prove the positive. You should expect no more of anyone else, as proving the negative is a silly standard to uphold in any kind of discussion. [What??? You can't prove to me that the Baltimore Ravens are terrorists? Then I should assume that they are!]
Facts are facts. Why not face them.

ReillyT said:
Is there some connection between terrorism, on the one hand, and certain Muslim spriritual centers, on the other? Of course. That is why we refer to them as religious fanatics. However, just because because some nutcases attend a Christian church in Georgia, and then conspire to blow an abortion clinic, that doesn't mean that every (or christianity) church is a breeding ground for terrorism.
Glad you agree. I will agree that every church is not a breeding ground for terrorism.

ReillyT said:
I find it particularly interesting that you referred to the Muslim Affairs Council site on fighting terrorism to support your case. Hmmm... think about that.
Tell me why.

ReillyT said:
Really? Or am I just straining your liberal beliefs? :D

Facts are facts. Why not face them.

I don't know what facts you are referring to. I was merely suggesting that asking someone to prove the negative is silly. See Baltimore Ravens example.

Glad you agree. I will agree that every church is not a breeding ground for terrorism.

Good. I am sure that you also agree that not every Mosque or every group of Muslim grade school kids praying is a terrorist network.

Tell me why.

Because you are suggesting that every Muslim group (even grade school kids) represents a potential danger that we should be wary of. To do this, you cite to a Muslim website about fighting terrorism. Hmmmm.... think about it some more.

Really? Or am I just straining your liberal beliefs? :D

No. It is much simpler than that. I think you are stupid, or a bigot. Probably both.

I don't know what facts you are referring to. I was merely suggesting that asking someone to prove the negative is silly. See Baltimore Ravens example.
So any argument that cannot "prove the negative" means that that argument is correct?

ReillyT said:
OK then. Since I gave the "positive proof", then how about he prove ME wrong?

ReillyT said:
Good. I am sure that you also agree that not every Mosque or every group of Muslim grade school kids praying is a terrorist network.
That may be true, but the odds of terrorism are certainly much higher with a Muslim group than a Christian group. Have you ever read anything about what a lot of muslim kiddies are taught?
Jihad Kids -- Islamic Seeds of Hate and Martyrdom

Almost from birth, Muslim children are taught to hate Christians and Jews - to glorify "jihad" (holy war) and to embrace violence, death and child martyrdom.

In their schools and mosques, young Muslim's are taught songs about wanting to become "suicide warriors" and taking up guns and bombs to kill non-believers. Such indoctrination is an essential part of Islamic prescribed destiny which is to destroy all non-Muslims (infidels) and thereby achieve their Quranic vision of one world under Islam.

Muslims have been in this unceasing struggle since the time of Muhammad.

During the last decade, Islamic expansionist have further perfected the exploitation of children and teenagers indoctrinated with messages of hatred and incitement against Christians and Jews to perpetrate terrorist attacks and engage in terrorist-supportive activities such as demonstrations and clashes with authority.

Let there be no doubt about it, World War III is underway and Islamic expansionist have no problem sacrificing their young for the cause.

http://www.usvetdsp.com/dec06/jihad_kids.htm

ReillyT said:
Because you are suggesting that every Muslim group (even grade school kids) represents a potential danger that we should be wary of. To do this, you cite to a Muslim website about fighting terrorism. Hmmmm.... think about it some more.
Is this more of your liberal doublespeak? The Muslim link proves that even Muslims are aware of terrorism breeding within their own ranks.

ReillyT said:
No. It is much simpler than that. I think you are stupid, or a bigot. Probably both.
Nothing better to say?

How do you know for sure that silent prayer is the ONLY thing going on? And what about before and after prayers when the students co-mingle? There appears to be ample opportunity for "subversive meetings". What if some self-declared teenager imam with terrorist tendencies began prayer time with his special thoughts? Hello Columbine?

Lmao. I don't know "for sure" that silent prayer is the only thing going on. But I have no reason to think that anything else is going on. Nor do you. Oh wait, except that they are Muslim. Which to my eyes is a very is very bigotted.

Just because it SAYS what is going on does not mean that is what is ACTUALLY going on.

Any evidence that there is anything different going on? No? Then you are just spouting nonsense.

It is also not required for Muslims to pray in a public school. Let their parents come get them to pray elsewhere at their required times. If that's too hard to do, then let the parents enroll them in a madrassa, not a public school. If Muslims can get special time and places for prayer, then I don't see why the majority of public schools can't provide special times and places for Christian prayer.

Because one is required by their religion, and one is not. Freedom of religion also means that people are generally not required to do things that go against their religion.

Talk about a softball statement. Tell me, when exactly is the lawsuit forthcoming? The tenth of never?

Its a nuanced statement. They, unlike you, don't disagree with something merely because it is Islamic.

They state: "The ACLU takes seriously both the free exercise of religion and the need to prevent governments and public schools from promoting particular religious beliefs and practices." I guess to the ACLU when a school provides time and places for groups of Muslims to pray they are not promoting religion but when a school provides elective (meaning you can choose to attend or not) courses on Christianity they are promoting religion. Go figure.

Again, the difference between required religious practice and non-required religious practice.

There is no plaintiff because Christians are by and large tolerant....unlike certain groups.

Or maybe because they know facts about the situation that you, in your ignorance, do not.

Wow...just wow.

Wait, you mean moderate Muslims are against terrorism? Wait...that disproves your central belief that where there are Muslims there is terrorism now doesn't it?

So any argument that cannot "prove the negative" means that that argument is correct?
Umm no. It merely says that not "proving a negative" does not mean the argument is incorrect.

And what exactly did you provide proof of again?

That may be true, but the odds of terrorism are certainly much higher with a Muslim group than a Christian group. Have you ever read anything about what a lot of muslim kiddies are taught?

Provide evidence that "Muslim kiddies" in the US are taught that.

Is this more of your liberal doublespeak? The Muslim link proves that even Muslims are aware of terrorism breeding within their own ranks.

Yes, hence a reason to believe that there is a difference between moderate muslims and extremist muslims.

You just don't get it do you. You can't be asked to prove the negative. He can't be asked to prove the negative. Asking to prove the negative is silly way to argue. Try to keep this in your head. It will come in very useful someday.

What you provided was evidence, although that evidence consisted of the existence of a link between some Muslim groups and terrorism. That happens to be very, very, very weak evidence because a) its draws conclusions from a small quantity of instances and applies that conclusion to a large quantity of people, and b) it is not incident specific - it has nothing to do with Carver Elementary.

What Larkin provided was evidence that the only thing going on was prayer (as opposed to fanatical indoctrination). Why is his evidence better? Because a) it is based on the printed sources that are the basis of the information we have about the case (the news article), and b) was specific to Carver Elementary.

You see how this works. Logic is fun.

That may be true, but the odds of terrorism are certainly much higher with a Muslim group than a Christian group.

Perhaps, although if you choose to draw conclusions about the millions of Muslims in the US based upon a group here and person there, you are engaging in mass generalizations about a religious group based on your knowledge about a few them. This is either bigotry, or sheer stupidity. I leave it to you to figure out which.

See Larkin's response. It pretty well conveys my feelings.

Nothing better to say?

As you said earlier. Facts are facts.

how idiotic, that some of you are now comparing radical christians to islamo nazi terrorists.

Hmm, who is being persecuted in the world, if you said muslims, please dont procreate, and if you said christians, and jews. you are correct.

radical christianity is not a threat to the u.s. or the world, a few fred phelps will be around of course, but for every fred phelps there are 130 million muslims who want to kill us. Nice try buddy.

We need to monitor mosques not churches.

The excuse that, using tax payer dollars , 450 k to segregate 100 muslims by gender, and set aside special prayer time for them, is a good thing, is ludicris.

Christians are not a global threat, Muslims are.

And dont give me the liberal bullshit, spare me, if you dont know who im talking about, then you dont know how to read, or read between the lines, i dont need a disclaimer every i speak so i dont offend people.

Islam is a cancer, that was never peaceful, and the only moderates are those who dont practice islams violent jihad practices.

Larkinn said:
Lmao. I don't know "for sure" that silent prayer is the only thing going on. But I have no reason to think that anything else is going on. Nor do you. Oh wait, except that they are Muslim. Which to my eyes is a very is very bigotted.

Any evidence that there is anything different going on? No? Then you are just spouting nonsense.
It's not bigoted when there is proof that other things than just simple prayer go on within Muslim prayer groups.

If we have a problem with mosques breeding terrorism (and obviously we do) why would we allow anything even remotely related to that within our schools? This is something new and untested. Are you not concerned with the safety of our children?

Larkinn said:
Because one is required by their religion, and one is not. Freedom of religion also means that people are generally not required to do things that go against their religion.
Since when does a religion's "requirements" provide justification for it to be practiced in government settings when other religions cannot? And just because one's religion "requires" something, why should that mean it gets to disrupt the lives others? Shouldn't religion be done on one's own time and in a private setting? Seems to me that is what the ACLU keeps telling us Christians.

Larkinn said:
Its a nuanced statement. They, unlike you, don't disagree with something merely because it is Islamic.
Ah yes, the "nuance". More like the two-faced two-step. They, unlike me, are obviously anti-Christian and pro-Muslim.

Larkinn said:
Again, the difference between required religious practice and non-required religious practice.
Again, the idiotic and unconstitutional ACLU rationale for supporting Muslim prayer but not Christian prayer in schools.

Larkinn said:
Or maybe because they know facts about the situation that you, in your ignorance, do not.
And those facts are?

Larkinn said:
Wow...just wow.
Yes, sad to say, radical Islam does actually exist within some Muslim prayer groups. I know you PC sensitive libs are totally blown away by that concept.

Larkinn said:
Wait, you mean moderate Muslims are against terrorism? Wait...that disproves your central belief that where there are Muslims there is terrorism now doesn't it?
No, that doesn't disprove anything. It just shows that some Muslims have brought their religion into the 21st century.

Larkinn said:
Umm no. It merely says that not "proving a negative" does not mean the argument is incorrect.
But you still can't disprove my argument that radical Islam does occur in Muslim prayer groups.

Larkinn said:
And what exactly did you provide proof of again?
I gave you a link to a Muslim-made list of how they attempt to prevent radical Islam from occuring within Muslim mosques. If that is not proof positive of my claim that radical Islam exists within Muslim prayer groups, I don't know what is. (but there's more proof)

Larkinn said:
Provide evidence that "Muslim kiddies" in the US are taught that.
Do you think that all Muslims who immigrate to the U.S. suddenly drop their deeply-held Muslim beliefs? Or that all muslims adhere to moderate beliefs? In London, Saudi schools use textbooks at London's King Fahad Academy that teach children that Jews are monkeys and Christians are pigs. A teacher at the school said pupils had been heard saying they wanted to kill Americans, that 9/11 was good, and that Osama bin Laden was a hero.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2006532,00.html

There have been many Saudi-backed wahabbist missionaries who teach their fundamental version of the Koran in the U.S. Wahabbism is an especially virulent form of Islam that advocates jihad.
Scholars of Islam find it difficult to precisely assess the impact of 40 years of Saudi missionary work on the United States' multi-ethnic Muslim community -- estimated at 6 million to 7 million. But survey data are suggestive.
The most comprehensive study, a survey of the 1,200 U.S. mosques undertaken in 2000 by four Muslim organizations, found that 2 million Muslims were "associated" with a mosque and that 70 percent of mosque leaders were generally favorable toward fundamentalist teachings, while 21 percent followed the stricter Wahhabi practices. The survey also found that the segregation of women for prayers was spreading, from half of the mosques in 1994 to two-thirds six years later.
John L. Esposito, a religion scholar at Georgetown University, said the Saudi theological efforts have resulted in "the export of a very exclusive brand of Islam into the Muslim community in the United States" that "tends to make them more isolationist in the society in which they live."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A13266-2004Aug18?language=printer

Larkinn said:
Yes, hence a reason to believe that there is a difference between moderate muslims and extremist muslims.
Yes, so what? The point is that the radicals do exist and why would we want any infiltrating into our schools via unsupervised muslim prayer groups?

anything to knee jerk liberal is biggoted, any time you disagree with a liberal is biggoted.

The word facist, biggot and racist have no meaning, because the typical liberal, throws it around like a condom, its used and re-used.

To hell with it. Call me whatever you want, i dont care.

No more muslims allowed to enter u.s., and monitor every mosque.

dont like it larkinn, wahhh, call me another name...

ReillyT said:
You just don't get it do you. You can't be asked to prove the negative. He can't be asked to prove the negative. Asking to prove the negative is silly way to argue. Try to keep this in your head. It will come in very useful someday.

What you provided was evidence, although that evidence consisted of the existence of a link between some Muslim groups and terrorism. That happens to be very, very, very weak evidence because a) its draws conclusions from a small quantity of instances and applies that conclusion to a large quantity of people, and b) it is not incident specific - it has nothing to do with Carver Elementary.

What Larkin provided was evidence that the only thing going on was prayer (as opposed to fanatical indoctrination). Why is his evidence better? Because a) it is based on the printed sources that are the basis of the information we have about the case (the news article), and b) was specific to Carver Elementary.

You see how this works. Logic is fun.

You just can't let go of your little logic argument about "proving the negative" can you? This is so typical of a liberal who wins some dinky little point in an argument. You think you have won this argument because it is not logical to "prove the negative". So what if I agreed with you on that point about not "proving the negative". Big deal. You still have not yet satisfactorily refuted my proof positive that radical Islam exists within Muslim prayer groups. I don't think that it is "very, very, very weak evidence" because it is obvious that moderate Muslims consider it enough of a problem that they are taking steps to prevent it.

Larkinn's claim that ONLY prayer is taking place in Carver school is not substantiated. Carver does not state that there are any school officials sitting in on the Muslim prayer meetings who can verify that as fact. Of course a school can't force a non-Muslim teacher to be exposed to religious practices which they don't believe in. What a catch 22. Perhaps a Muslim teacher sits in on the prayer sessions but who is to say that he would necessarily expose any radical Islam that surfaced?

Yes, logic can be fun. Common sense also works.

ReillyT said:
Perhaps, although if you choose to draw conclusions about the millions of Muslims in the US based upon a group here and person there, you are engaging in mass generalizations about a religious group based on your knowledge about a few them. This is either bigotry, or sheer stupidity. I leave it to you to figure out which.
Uh, did you know that we are at WAR with radical Islam? This is called simple defense on the home front. Why beg for trouble in our schools?

ReillyT said:
See Larkin's response. It pretty well conveys my feelings.
Your liberal feelings are of no concern to me and certainly don't hold water against my logical and factual arguments.

ReillyT said:
As you said earlier. Facts are facts.
Do you have something better to say? If so, which facts are you referring to?

It's not bigoted when there is proof that other things than just simple prayer go on within Muslim prayer groups.

Yes, it is bigoted. You are taking the fact that it happens within SOME prayer groups to assume it happens within ALL Muslim prayer groups. That is pretty much the definition of bigotry.

If we have a problem with mosques breeding terrorism (and obviously we do) why would we allow anything even remotely related to that within our schools? This is something new and untested. Are you not concerned with the safety of our children?

We have a problem with that in the US? Really? Please cite evidence.

Since when does a religion's "requirements" provide justification for it to be practiced in government settings when other religions cannot? And just because one's religion "requires" something, why should that mean it gets to disrupt the lives others? Shouldn't religion be done on one's own time and in a private setting? Seems to me that is what the ACLU keeps telling us Christians.

Its called freedom of religion. Since when? Since 1776. Its always been the case, although its a fine line. No, actually the ACLU has never said that religion needs to be done in a private setting. Rather its point is that it should not be done in a government setting.

Ah yes, the "nuance". More like the two-faced two-step. They, unlike me, are obviously anti-Christian and pro-Muslim.

Incorrect. Nuanced because this is different than the Christian issue. Nuanced because to people who actually care about details, there is a difference between the two things. You want to paint everyone with a broad brush and then cry and whine when we call you on it because you do it incorrectly.

Again, the idiotic and unconstitutional ACLU rationale for supporting Muslim prayer but not Christian prayer in schools.

Way to over-simplify this.

And those facts are?

I have no idea. I was posting a hypothetical.

Yes, sad to say, radical Islam does actually exist within some Muslim prayer groups. I know you PC sensitive libs are totally blown away by that concept.

No, I was wowing over your inability to understand why I can't/won't prove a negative.

No, that doesn't disprove anything. It just shows that some Muslims have brought their religion into the 21st century.

And hence it is stupid, and bigotted to assume that all Muslims are fundamentalists or that wherever there is Muslim prayer going on, there are fundamentalists.

But you still can't disprove my argument that radical Islam does occur in Muslim prayer groups.

Who is trying to disprove it? I agree with it. But SOME does not equal ALL.

I gave you a link to a Muslim-made list of how they attempt to prevent radical Islam from occuring within Muslim mosques. If that is not proof positive of my claim that radical Islam exists within Muslim prayer groups, I don't know what is. (but there's more proof)

Why are you trying to prove something that nobody is arguing? Nobody said it never happens, just that it does not always happen.

Do you think that all Muslims who immigrate to the U.S. suddenly drop their deeply-held Muslim beliefs? Or that all muslims adhere to moderate beliefs? In London, Saudi schools use textbooks at London's King Fahad Academy that teach children that Jews are monkeys and Christians are pigs. A teacher at the school said pupils had been heard saying they wanted to kill Americans, that 9/11 was good, and that Osama bin Laden was a hero.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2006532,00.html

The large large majority of Muslims in the US are moderate.

There have been many Saudi-backed wahabbist missionaries who teach their fundamental version of the Koran in the U.S. Wahabbism is an especially virulent form of Islam that advocates jihad.

And they have committed what acts of violence exactly?

Yes, so what? The point is that the radicals do exist and why would we want any infiltrating into our schools via unsupervised muslim prayer groups?

Unsupervised? Why are you assuming its unsupervised? And besides that, for the millionth time, there is a big difference between moderates and fundamentalists. Oh and SOME does not equal ALL. Pretty simple stuff here.

Hmm, who is being persecuted in the world, if you said muslims, please dont procreate, and if you said christians, and jews. you are correct.

Incorrect. How many Muslims in the US get harassed/beaten/killed because they are Muslim? How many Christians/Jews get harassed/beaten/killed because they are Christian?

radical christianity is not a threat to the u.s. or the world, a few fred phelps will be around of course, but for every fred phelps there are 130 million muslims who want to kill us. Nice try buddy.

Really? Please provide a link to these "130 million muslims who want to kill us". Bet you can't find one. Because its a bald faced lie.

We need to monitor mosques not churches.

Yay for bigotry.

Christians are not a global threat, Muslims are.

Most of the world thinks that a very Christian nation is very much a global threat.

Islam is a cancer, that was never peaceful, and the only moderates are those who dont practice islams violent jihad practices.

As opposed to Christianity which has a very peaceful past, right?

You just can't let go of your little logic argument about "proving the negative" can you? This is so typical of a liberal who wins some dinky little point in an argument. You think you have won this argument because it is not logical to "prove the negative". So what if I agreed with you on that point about not "proving the negative". Big deal. You still have not yet satisfactorily refuted my proof positive that radical Islam exists within Muslim prayer groups. I don't think that it is "very, very, very weak evidence" because it is obvious that moderate Muslims consider it enough of a problem that they are taking steps to prevent it.

He wouldn't let go of it because you wouldn't admit it.

Larkinn's claim that ONLY prayer is taking place in Carver school is not substantiated. Carver does not state that there are any school officials sitting in on the Muslim prayer meetings who can verify that as fact. Of course a school can't force a non-Muslim teacher to be exposed to religious practices which they don't believe in. What a catch 22. Perhaps a Muslim teacher sits in on the prayer sessions but who is to say that he would necessarily expose any radical Islam that surfaced?

If you have some reason to think that something other than prayer is taking place, please provide the evidence. Otherwise, without evidence, we are forced to conclude that you are most likely incorrect.

Its not a "Muslim prayer meeting". Its 15 minutes of SILENT prayer. Other students are present during it, as is a teacher.

Yes, logic can be fun. Common sense also works.

Yours seems to be broken.

Uh, did you know that we are at WAR with radical Islam? This is called simple defense on the home front. Why beg for trouble in our schools?

Really? We are at war with Saudi Arabia? How about Pakistan?

Oh and as for the "why beg for trouble" its called civil rights, freedom of religion, and that pesky little document called the Constitution. We know you wouldn't mind shitting on it, but some of actually respect it.

Your liberal feelings are of no concern to me and certainly don't hold water against my logical and factual arguments.

Logical and factual arguments like how I should prove the negative? Or maybe how the ACLU hasn't put out a statement about Carver?

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. How many lies must we catch you in for you to admit you are wrong?

Jihad In Schools?
INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
7/9/2007

Political Correctness: Seems the ACLU couldn't care less that a San Diego public school has set aside 15 minutes of classroom instruction time for Muslim students to pray, while non-Muslims twiddle their thumbs.

Right now it has no plans to legally challenge the budding madrassa as endorsement of a religion by government. Apparently the establishment clause only applies to the practice of Judeo-Christian rituals in public places.

The special accommodations for Carver Elementary's nearly 100 Somali Muslims don't stop with organized prayer. The school cafeteria has banned pork and other foods that conflict with the Islamic diet.

And the K-8 school has even added Arabic — the language of the Quran — to its curriculum, while segregating classes for girls, a la the Taliban.

In effect, Carver administrators have carved out a school within a school expressly for Muslims, elevating them above Christian and Jewish students. They've had 15 minutes of instruction time taken away from them, so Muslims can roll out their pray mats.

It amounts to a special privilege afforded a specific religion, which plainly does not have our best interests at heart. That same privilege is not extended to other faiths that are part of our traditional culture — and do not wish us ill or pray for the demise of our system of government.

Tough, say Muslim-rights groups. The Council on American-Islamic Relations, which is defending the Carver program, insists public schools must cater to the growing number of Muslim students. "Our country is transforming demographically, religiously," said the spokesman for CAIR's San Diego chapter. "Our country has to now accommodate things that are not traditionally accounted for before."
snip

There's a stealth jihad under way in our schools, and school officials, wittingly or not, are aiding it. The ACLU, which operates from a double standard, refuses to step in. That leaves it up to parents to stand up and insist that the purpose of our tax-supported public schools is to educate our children in English as Americans.
snip

http://www.investors.com/editorial/editorialcontent.asp?secid=1501&status=article&id=268874251390676

ScreamingEagle: "The ACLU, which operates from a double standard, refuses to step in."

Bullsh*t. ACLU defends EVERYONE’S civil liberties and religious freedoms. Just because Rush Limbaugh or NewsMax doesn’t tell you about the times that ACLU defends Christians, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. NewsMax and Rush Limbaugh make a living peddling lies to people like you - because you‘ll buy the lies:

ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School

DES MOINES--The Iowa Civil Liberties Union today announced that it is publicly supporting the Christian students who recently filed a lawsuit against the Davenport Schools asserting the right to distribute religious literature during non-instructional time.

"The school's policy against the distribution of religious literature outside of class is clearly wrong," said Ben Stone, Executive Director of the ICLU. "Not only does the policy violate the students' right to freely exercise their religious beliefs, but it also infringes on their free speech rights," he said.
"The First Amendment says the government can't restrict the right of people to practice their personal religious beliefs, while at the same time it forbids the government from endorsing religious beliefs, especially in a school setting," said Stone.

http://www.aclu.org/studentsrights/religion/12811prs20020711.html

RHODE ISLAND ACLU FILES APPEAL ON BEHALF OF INMATE BARRED FROM PREACHING AT CHRISTIAN SERVICES

The Rhode Island ACLU has filed an appeal in federal court on behalf of an ACI inmate who has been barred from preaching during Christian religious services at the state prison. The plaintiff, Wesley Spratt, had been preaching at ACI services for seven years before he was unilaterally stopped from doing so based on vague and generalized “security” concerns. The appeal, filed by ACLU volunteer attorney Carly Beauvais Iafrate, argues that the preaching ban violates a federal law designed to protect the religious freedom of institutionalized persons.

Spratt, who considers his preaching a “calling” from God, had been preaching at religious services on a weekly basis under the supervision, and with the support, of clergy at the ACI. The DOC provided no evidence of security problems during, or as the result of, his supervised preaching during the seven years he had been doing so. Nonetheless, when a new warden took over the maximum security facility in 2003, Spratt was ordered to stop preaching.....snip

ACLU attorney Iafrate said today: “RLUIPA is an important federal law that was designed to protect the religious freedom of people like Wesley Spratt. That law is undermined if courts give uncritical deference to prison officials in denying inmates the right to practice their religion.”

http://www.riaclu.org/20060111.html

EDIT:

more..........

After ACLU Intervention on Behalf of Christian Valedictorian, Michigan High School Agrees to Stop Censoring Religious Yearbook Entries

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DETROIT - The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan today announced an out-of-court settlement between the Utica Community School District and a local student over the censorship of her 2001 yearbook entry. The student's entry had been deleted from the yearbook because it contained a passage from the Bible.

"While it is true that the Constitution forbids public schools to promote religion, schools must be careful not to suppress the private religious expression of students," said ACLU of Michigan Legal Director Michael J. Steinberg, who represented the student. "In this case, a high school purported to create an open forum for student expression, yet censored a student's speech because it was religious in nature.

http://www.aclu.org/studentsrights/expression/12845prs20040511.html

You've been told Lies by Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity that ACLU doesn't defend christians. They defend EVERYBODY. They're only interest is upholding the bill of rights.

If you continue to believe the lies about the ACLU after this, then I'm afraid you yourself are a liar, eagle.

Forum List

Back