Madoff pleading guilty, could get a 150 yrs

Regardless of his sentence, it can never replace all the billions all the trust all the lives he stole from so many people. Did you know that Elie Wiesel was one of his many victims? His foundation, The Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity, was completely ruined. I hope they go after all the other financial types who preyed on people.

Elie Wiesel and Bernard Madoff - Portfolio.com

Damn, i had heard if he plead the guilty plea, they would have no way of getting the information out on where he hid the money...

surely he did not spend the 50 billion or even a tenth of it, if the 50 billion is a bloated figure...?

Regardless of his sentence, it can never replace all the billions all the trust all the lives he stole from so many people. Did you know that Elie Wiesel was one of his many victims? His foundation, The Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity, was completely ruined. I hope they go after all the other financial types who preyed on people.

Elie Wiesel and Bernard Madoff - Portfolio.com

Very true. Funny thing about the Madoff Scam is that its fuel to the fires for the anti-semites; however, most of Madoff's victims were Jews. Go figure!:eusa_eh:

Damn, i had heard if he plead the guilty plea, they would have no way of getting the information out on where he hid the money...

surely he did not spend the 50 billion or even a tenth of it, if the 50 billion is a bloated figure...?

Honestly he should be sent to Gitmo before they close it and he should be waterboarded!

What I heard is that this was an open plea. The DA didnt make any offer to him.

What I heard is that this was an open plea. The DA didnt make any offer to him.

A fool and his money is soon parted, If it is not in your pockett its at risk (401s) can't trust anyone with your money to include your goverment and especialy other people.. Best answer earn it and keep it...You know Bernie didn't force these people to give them money it was there own choice and the real reason they are upset.
Don't get me wrong he is a scumbag and should rot in jail.

Not unless you can prove what he did caused someone's death. It would be a great aid to prevent recidivism.:lol:

Otherwise, lock them up for life in a normal prison, no country club shit for this guy.

PT Barnum was right was right about a sucker being born every minute. Today he could add there are two con men born every minute in our financial families and they are covered too often by the benign neglect of those in charge or their willing compliance.

The fact that he has been getting away with this for about 30 years is what truly amazes me.:eek:

Not unless you can prove what he did caused someone's death. It would be a great aid to prevent recidivism.:lol:

Otherwise, lock them up for life in a normal prison, no country club shit for this guy.

PT Barnum was right was right about a sucker being born every minute. Today he could add there are two con men born every minute in our financial families and they are covered too often by the benign neglect of those in charge or their willing compliance.

The fact that he has been getting away with this for about 30 years is what truly amazes me.:eek:

No really, I was serious. We do tend to still think in the terms of the laws of Hammurabi and the old Mosaic law about retribution not being excessive, the eye for an eye thing. But I think there are times when we need to think a bit differently.

If someone like Madoff who did what he has admitted to doing was executed do you think it would cause the others to think what they're up to?

There's no need to link to someone topping themselves, just that if someone blatantly takes money from people and keeps it for themselves, to the point where they destroy the lives of many people, some of whom are now condemned to live in some sort of genteel poverty as the saying goes, then should they be executed?

Wouldn't that be a reasonable deterrent to other thieving bastards like this? We're not even talking a liquor store holdup, we're talking the total destruction of many hundreds of people's lives. This is akin to a financial massacre, a destruction of the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands, of people.

Why not kill the offenders? It may stop others.

We'd have no one left on Wall Street ALIVE, if we did that Diuretic...:eek:

(not that there is anything wrong with that) j/k

YOu make a good point Di, and more than likely, it would deter the crime.... I don't think the death penalty deters murder one iota....

But for something like this, i think the other Wall Streeters would definitely take NOTE, and probably commit less crime....

Having said that, i just can't knock, "an eye for and eye" .... it doesn't sit well or feel right with me and my conscience.... to kill someone who has not killed is murder.

life in prison, hard time, with every dime taken from him and his family, sparing compassion, should do.... right now they go to country club prisons....wife and family gets to keep millions, restitution is near nil...

Care

Fair enough Care, on all points.

I was sort of thinking in two spheres as it were. Some folks don't have a problem with execution for murderers even where the evidence is a bit iffy even. So I thought, why not shift it. I know Madoff has pleaded guilty but if he hadn't and had been found guiltiy after a trial why shouldn't execution be an option?

Some people think child molesters should be executed. But that simply encourages the molester to murder the child.

If a crooked financier knew they could be executed for their crime I think it would be an effectifve deterrent.

What a great way for an atheist to live. You only live for about 70 years or so, so why not live it up? He's going to be dead soon enough and with no God to judge him, who cares?

There is a sort of absurd stupidity to this sentence, he bilked people and now their taxes will support him as he relaxes reading and praying in prison. A better sentence would be to have him live in a rundown community doing community service. Let him live a real life in poverty and disrespect. Then he would serve his punishment.

"The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new." Samuel Beckett

Not unless you can prove what he did caused someone's death.

In directly I don't doubt this guy's srimes will cause hundreds of deaths.

Fiscal pressure causes undue stress of people's psyches.

It would be a great aid to prevent recidivism.:lol:

Even if it doesn't it would cheer me up considerably.

Solitary confinement forever. Don't want this guy teaching the next generation of swindlers, after all.

The man knew how to play on other people's arrogant classism.

There's really an delicious ironic stew to this scandal, but even I am having trouble taking much delight in it.

According to him, he started ripping off his clients in the early 90s.

While we're hanging Madoff?

We might want to do the same to whomsoever was running the SEC, I think.

The people and the commonweal were ill served by their incompetence.

Forum List

Back