Madison schools will add 20 minutes a day to make up for SICK OUTS

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
I'm sure the little kiddies will understand that this happened because the protesting teachers were doing it for, the chiiiiillllllrrrreeeen.

SNIP:
Students in the Madison School District will have up to 20 minutes of additional classroom time each day starting Monday to make up for four days canceled last month because teachers were attending protests.

Because no additional days will be added to the calendar, most teachers will not receive additional compensation for that time, district spokesman Ken Syke said.

Madison schools were closed to students Feb. 16-18 and Feb. 21 because a significant number of teachers called in sick to attend protests against a state proposal to limit public employee collective bargaining. Gov. Scott Walker signed it into law Friday.

The School Board reached an agreement with Madison Teachers Inc. over the weekend that allowed the district to set the makeup calendar. The agreement also ensures teachers with unexcused absences will not be paid for those days and that teachers who submitted fraudulent sick notes will be suspended.

The district has not yet released the number of teachers that missed school to work those days. The district received more than 1,000 sick notes, including some from doctors who were handing them out at the Capitol protests, assistant legal counsel Matt Bell said.

read it all here.
Madison schools will add 20 minutes to school day to make up for sick-outs

What about sitters, bus drivers, parents work schedules, after school activities etc. ?

Selfish doesn't even scratch the surface of these teachers actions

What about sitters, bus drivers, parents work schedules, after school activities etc. ?

SITTERS:
Since the sitters were paid for the time schools were closed, they received extra pay for that time. Now they will receive less pay by 20-minutes a day to the end of the year so parents will not have to pay for that time. In the end the parents pay the same and the sitters earn the same. That worked out well.

Bus Drivers
Bud driver routes aren't changing. So the time to drive from point A to point B shouldn't change.

Parents Work Schedules
What about them. As you brought up with "sitters" most kids are going to go to either sitters or after school day care and the parents will be picking them up from there so it wouldn't have a great impact on parents schedules.

After School Activities
Excuse me, aren't schools supposed to focus on learning - you know the 3-R's. After school activities should be a secondary consideration to ensuring that students have instructional time.

Basically this is the same type of change we have around here sometimes because of heavy snow using more inclimate weather days then expected. Typically employees are paid for those days when they occur and then schedules are modified (if need be) to account for the time needed to be made up. During the time being made up, employees receive no extra pay because they were already paid for the time.

>>>>

Last edited:
LOL, we have snow days to make up too, NOT DAYS to make up for PROTESTING TEACHERS.

any excuse will do I guess

SITTERS:
Since the sitters were paid for the time schools were closed, they received extra pay for that time. Now they will receive less pay by 20-minutes a day to the end of the year so parents will not have to pay for that time. In the end the parents pay the same and the sitters earn the same. That worked out well.

Bus Drivers
Bud driver routes aren't changing. So the time to drive from point A to point B shouldn't change.

Parents Work Schedules
What about them. As you brought up with "sitters" most kids are going to go to either sitters or after school day care and the parents will be picking them up from there so it wouldn't have a great impact on parents schedules.

Parents Work Schedules
Excuse me, aren't schools supposed to focus on learning - you know the 3-R's. After school activities should be a secondary consideration to ensuring that students have instructional time.

Basically this is the same type of change we have around here sometimes because of heavy snow using more inclimate weather days then expected.

>>>>
In my world all that would have mattered, in yours only teachers do.

Sick out and snow days - sad attempt at justifying selfish teachers.

LOL, we have snow days to make up too, NOT DAYS to make up for PROTESTING TEACHERS.

any excuse will do I guess

Not making excuses as I don't agree with the teachers abandoning their jobs to protest just as I don't agree with legislators dashing across state lines to avoid meeting the quorum requirement. I think most of us that were in the military tend to think about doing the job first.

What I was doing was addressing the specific points asked about by the poster.

Now is there something in my post that seems incorrect?

1. Will sitters now be paid less by 20-minutes in the future but will have likely already been paid for time during the protests?

2. Does a 20-minute shift change bus routes?

3. Do most children go to either a sitter or after-school program because parents already work?

4. Do you think after school activities are more important then core learning?​

Feel free to point out any of the list you disagree with.

>>>>

yeah, the horror.

screw the children, the parents and all the others Teachers who didn't join the protest.

Last edited:

SITTERS:

Except for the sitters whose income has been reduced. They earn less money. How compassionate of you to be so dismissive.

Bus Drivers

That depends upon the nature of the bus drivers work arrangements. If they work a split shift and the second shift can start later, then there is no impact. If the second shift is lengthened due to starting the routes later, then there will be an added cost. If the 20 minutes later schedule pushes busses into any local evening commute congestion, then the trips will take longer.

Parents Work Schedules

With your disdain for the impact of government policies on individual lives, you'd fit quite well as a low level functionary in an Obama Bureaucracy.

You have no idea what the individual impacts are. Kids often have after school lessons, sports activities, catechism classes, etc. with parents transporting them from activity to activity. This change will likely cause a cascading impact of "unintended consequences" that are inconvenient and damaging to a wide variety of people.

Parents Work Schedules

The students wouldn't be face in losing after school activities, which are healthy ways to round out a child's development, if a bunch of selfish union thugs hadn't shut down the school for days and days.

Basically this is the same type of change we have around here sometimes because of heavy snow using more inclimate weather days then expected. Typically employees are paid for those days when they occur and then schedules are modified (if need be) to account for the time needed to be made up. During the time being made up, employees receive no extra pay because they were already paid for the time.

>>>>

B'loney. Snow is an act of nature. This shut down was the result of the willful, bad faith conduct of the teachers and their public employee union cronies.

Last edited:

SITTERS:

Bus Drivers

Parents Work Schedules

Parents Work Schedules

Basically this is the same type of change we have around here sometimes because of heavy snow using more inclimate weather days then expected.

>>>>
In my world all that would have mattered, in yours only teachers do.

Sick out and snow days - sad attempt at justifying selfish teachers.

1. I'm not a teacher.

2. Hmmmm - I wonder if you would take a decrease of 6-7% in your take home pay and not complain about it.

I have not defended the teachers, not said that the financial changes weren't needed. Cuts had to be made and the budget balanced, that's a reality of life. Teacher unions need to get on board with that if they want to prevent of a financial collapse of the state budget and to provide that their jobs will be there in the long term. I have no issue with the idea of "Right to Work" laws such as we have here in Virginia.

On the other hand I think Walker's Bill goes a little far in placing restrictions on local governments in dealing with their own teachers.

>>>>

1. I'm not a teacher.

2. Hmmmm - I wonder if you would take a decrease of 6-7% in your take home pay and not complain about it.

I have not defended the teachers, not said that the financial changes weren't needed. Cuts had to be made and the budget balanced, that's a reality of life. Teacher unions need to get on board with that if they want to prevent of a financial collapse of the state budget and to provide that their jobs will be there in the long term. I have no issue with the idea of "Right to Work" laws such as we have here in Virginia.

On the other hand I think Walker's Bill goes a little far in placing restrictions on local governments in dealing with their own teachers.

>>>>
1. Good and so what?

2. Been there. No one else suffered for my loss.

Again, so what? My issue was others will pay a price now for the selfish actions of the teachers and you don't care.

SITTERS:

Except for the sitters whose income has been reduced. They earn less money. How compassionate of you to be so dismissive.

I didn't dismiss the reduced income for the sitters.

The "sitters" earned MORE money during the days of the protests. They may then earn slightly less because they are sitting for a slightly shorter time as the school day is extended over the rest of the year. But because they earned MORE during the protests that should average out to about the SAME income over the long term.

For example. Let's say I work part time, 10-hours per week over a 4-week month. My boss says that he needs me 20-hours the first week of the month but only 6 2/3 hours the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th week. Over the course of a month the number of hours (and hence the pay) remains the same.

That depends upon the nature of the bus drivers work arrangements. If they work a split shift and the second shift can start later, then there is no impact. If the second shift if lengthened due to starting the routes later, then there will be an added cost. If the 20 minutes later schedule pushes busses into any local evening commute congestion, then the trips will take longer.

Correct, if the bus drivers work split shift, there is no impact, which is what I said. That's the way all the school systems around here are. It would depend on how Madison works it.

I believe most school get out between 1:30 to 3:30 depending on start time. In most places commutes times are considered 4:30 to 6:30 so 20-minutes isn't that big of a shift.

With your disdain for the impact of government policies on individual lives, you'd fit quite well as a low level functionary in an Obama Bureaucracy.

So instead of discussing issues you go for ad hominem.

You have no idea what the individual impacts are. Kids often have after school lessons, sports activities, catechism classes, etc. with parents transporting them from activity to activity. This change will likely cause a cascading impact of "unintended consequences" that are inconvenient and damaging to a wide variety of people.

Might it have a cascading impact? Maybe.

To a great extend? Probably not.

Do I support the teacher sick-out days? Definitely not.

Is the school attempting to make up the time in a reasonable fashion? I believe yes.

Parents Work Schedules

The students wouldn't be face in losing after school activities, which are healthy ways to round out a child's development if a bunch of selfish union thugs hadn't shut down the school for days and days.

From the school divisions standpoint, which is what I'm discussing the options from, then core instructional activities should come first, extra-curricular activities are not as important as core instructional time.

Again I'm not supporting the teacher protests during the school day, I'm addressing the changes the school district is making to address lost instructional time.

>>>>

B'loney. Snow is an act of nature. This shut down was the result of the willful, bad faith conduct of the teachers and their public employee union cronies.

I agree, the conduct of the teachers was not what I'd have liked to have seen.

Doesn't change the fact that the school districts administration must address making up the core instructional time.

>>>>

Last edited:
You have no idea if the sitters earned more money. Many parents likely took sick or vacation days (I know that is what some of my relatives did), instead of having the sitters all day.

You are just making things up to suit your silly worldview.

You have no idea if the sitters earned more money. Many parents likely took sick or vacation days (I know that is what some of my relatives did), instead of having the sitters all day.

You are just making things up to suit your silly worldview.

And you have no idea of the situation you are supporting is true either for the majority of people, you just have your (supposedly true) anecdotal example.

Very likely you are just making things up to suit your silly worldview.

Were the protests a bad thing in terms of scheduling? Definatley.

Is the school trying to reasonably address making up the time? In my opinion yes.

>>>>

Last edited:
I'm pointing out your logical fallacies in treating people as monolithic blocks in order to spin this situation as a zero sum game.

It's not. Many people have been hurt, of whom you are Very Dismissive.

How compassionate of you.

I'm pointing out your logical fallacies in treating people as monolithic blocks in order to spin this situation as a zero sum game.

It's not. Many people have been hurt, of whom you are Very Dismissive.

How compassionate of you.

Not dismissive, realistic. The district has about 24,500 students. When you are dealing with that many students there is no other way then to deal with them as a "monolithic" block as it would be kind of difficult to interview each individual child and parent and then design a custom plan.

I don't agree with the teachers abandoning the classroom to protest during school hours (what they did on their own time was their business). There are no options to make up the time that someone won't piss-n-moan about. The one the district took is probably pretty reasonable considering the circumstances they found themselves in.

>>>>

Last edited:

Actually, it would be better if they added LOTS more time.

Actually, the parents who think of schools and teachers as babysitters are probably delighted.

I"m with WorldView on this. While the teachers shouldn't have missed the class time with fake 'sick notes' in order to go protest, the fact that they are making up the time, albeit in small daily increments, without pay seems logical to me. The other options would be to cut short their spring break or extend the school year by whatever the number of days it would be (is it 4?). One way or another that time needs to be made up. Will it cause inconveniences to the parents/students? No doubt. But short of just not making the time up at all I don't see anyway around that inconvenience and the 20 min/day seems like they believe will be the least disruptive.

Actually, it would be better if they added LOTS more time.

Actually, the parents who think of schools and teachers as babysitters are probably delighted.

Could be, but that still leaves all those who didn't picket

Forum List

Back