Made In America, Not...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sandy73, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Since none of those items would qualify as "necessary survival" items in all seriousness, that ought to also give you perspective as to WHY we find ourselves in that spot.

We haven't learned to produce what we NEED and be satisfied with what we HAVE.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Agreed----Does capitalism require that unneccessry goods be created to ensure its' future?

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Ahhh, but the programming he is watching is almost 99% made in America.

American's can always export their culture, everyone loves American shows.

5. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    While it may be theory (and I don't know if it is really the LEADING one), I can't imagine how the necessity of luxuries makes any sense.

Capitalism in its most pure form drives prices down and quality up.

It promotes better and better ways to do things.

From a dollars per hand perspective, the overabundance of luxury gave us the mess we have today with debt and "disposable" lifestyles.

From a quality perspective, it has slid downhill.

Take the luxury away and we have quality going up, prices still going down, debt going away, responsibility over money, and people won't be slaves to 80 hr work weeks anymore and dying of heart attacks at age 35.

I cant see luxury as being necessary for capitalism at all.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    But if people only bought what they REALLY need , there certainly would be less consumer spending and fewer jobs.

7. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Less jobs?

Economics is not all about jobs.

BUSINESSES still make up most of the wealth of the nation. In my scenario most operations would be small businesses.

-You would bring back an ethical and local economy as well as national.

In addition, you have shrinkage of the tax base and forced reduction of government.

Unlike what liberal economics would have you believe, the world DID exist economically before the movement from farms to cities.

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Although all the products you mentioned are now made overseas, you have to remember that those are "old" products. They were designed here (and many are still designed here) but they are made there. Americans need to face the fact that our economy has moved onto a new level. A level where intelligence is more important than labour. It is just a fact of life.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I wouldn't worry too much about 'luxuries' and such. NG you have invested I'm sure quite a lot of $ in computer related things, ahem. Now some is probably work related, but how much for personal? Cause you're interested? Cause it is enjoyable? To others that would be a 'luxury.'

One man's necessity may well be another's definition of luxury!

10. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Very true, but I am also debt free and living far below my means.

I am a very good example of what I have just preached.

The luxuries I now buy are also on the way out as I go further into my example by moving out of the city and go into the country in a short while.

The computers won't be going. -Neither will a lot of other "luxuries".
    :)