Made In America, Not...

S

Sandy73

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

Since none of those items would qualify as "necessary survival" items in all seriousness, that ought to also give you perspective as to WHY we find ourselves in that spot.

We haven't learned to produce what we NEED and be satisfied with what we HAVE.

NewGuy said:
Since none of those items would qualify as "necessary survival" items in all seriousness, that ought to also give you perspective as to WHY we find ourselves in that spot.

We haven't learned to produce what we NEED and be satisfied with what we HAVE.

Agreed----Does capitalism require that unneccessry goods be created to ensure its' future?

Sandy73 said:
Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6am. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

Ahhh, but the programming he is watching is almost 99% made in America.

American's can always export their culture, everyone loves American shows.

dilloduck said:
Agreed----Does capitalism require that unneccessry goods be created to ensure its' future?

While it may be theory (and I don't know if it is really the LEADING one), I can't imagine how the necessity of luxuries makes any sense.

Capitalism in its most pure form drives prices down and quality up.

It promotes better and better ways to do things.

From a dollars per hand perspective, the overabundance of luxury gave us the mess we have today with debt and "disposable" lifestyles.

From a quality perspective, it has slid downhill.

Take the luxury away and we have quality going up, prices still going down, debt going away, responsibility over money, and people won't be slaves to 80 hr work weeks anymore and dying of heart attacks at age 35.

I cant see luxury as being necessary for capitalism at all.

NewGuy said:
While it may be theory (and I don't know if it is really the LEADING one), I can't imagine how the necessity of luxuries makes any sense.

Capitalism in its most pure form drives prices down and quality up.

It promotes better and better ways to do things.

From a dollars per hand perspective, the overabundance of luxury gave us the mess we have today with debt and "disposable" lifestyles.

From a quality perspective, it has slid downhill.

Take the luxury away and we have quality going up, prices still going down, debt going away, responsibility over money, and people won't be slaves to 80 hr work weeks anymore and dying of heart attacks at age 35.

I cant see luxury as being necessary for capitalism at all.

But if people only bought what they REALLY need , there certainly would be less consumer spending and fewer jobs.

dilloduck said:
But if people only bought what they REALLY need , there certainly would be less consumer spending and fewer jobs.

Less jobs?

Economics is not all about jobs.

BUSINESSES still make up most of the wealth of the nation. In my scenario most operations would be small businesses.

-You would bring back an ethical and local economy as well as national.

In addition, you have shrinkage of the tax base and forced reduction of government.

Unlike what liberal economics would have you believe, the world DID exist economically before the movement from farms to cities.

Although all the products you mentioned are now made overseas, you have to remember that those are "old" products. They were designed here (and many are still designed here) but they are made there. Americans need to face the fact that our economy has moved onto a new level. A level where intelligence is more important than labour. It is just a fact of life.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'luxuries' and such. NG you have invested I'm sure quite a lot of $ in computer related things, ahem. Now some is probably work related, but how much for personal? Cause you're interested? Cause it is enjoyable? To others that would be a 'luxury.'

One man's necessity may well be another's definition of luxury!

Kathianne said:
I wouldn't worry too much about 'luxuries' and such. NG you have invested I'm sure quite a lot of $ in computer related things, ahem. Now some is probably work related, but how much for personal? Cause you're interested? Cause it is enjoyable? To others that would be a 'luxury.'

One man's necessity may well be another's definition of luxury!

Very true, but I am also debt free and living far below my means.

I am a very good example of what I have just preached.

The luxuries I now buy are also on the way out as I go further into my example by moving out of the city and go into the country in a short while.

The computers won't be going. -Neither will a lot of other "luxuries".
:)

NewGuy said:

The luxuries I now buy are also on the way out as I go further into my example by moving out of the city and go into the country in a short while.

:shocked: Do you have kids?

NewGuy said:

I too am debt free and living WAY below my means. I like it as I never have to worry about things. I have friends that have their boats, their weekend homes, etc., and they all worry all the time about making their payments. We just sold our home so that we could move "down" and put even more CASH in reserve.

But I do like some of my luxuries, so by not spending money on homes, etc., I am able to enjoy them. Plus, being the owner of an "S" Corp, the company pays a lot of my daily expenses. Pretty cool! :mm:

Kathianne said:
:shocked: Do you have kids?

Why?

Would I then simply mention "guns" and then give one cause to call the cops on me for being a "Dahmer" or "psycho"?

Before you answer, understand that is the EXACT image given to people who are Christian and move OUT of the city.

You would understand, I hope, if I would find it insulting.

NewGuy said:
Why?

Would I then simply mention "guns" and then give one cause to call the cops on me for being a "Dahmer" or "psycho"?

Before you answer, understand that is the EXACT image given to people who are Christian and move OUT of the city.

You would understand, I hope, if I would find it insulting.

Wow, did you get me wrong! I meant what would the kids do w/o the computers! No kidding! I don't have a problem with guns, I assume you would be a responsible kind of guy!

Kathianne said:
Wow, did you get me wrong! I meant what would the kids do w/o the computers! No kidding! I don't have a problem with guns, I assume you would be a responsible kind of guy!

I didn't think I understood you right. ;)

I don't own guns anyway, but I wanted to illustrate why I would be defensive in answering questions.

As far as the computers, we will take no more than 3 for business purposes although they are backup. They are a safety net for money. I don't believe kids need computers. I view computers as a tool, but like a swiss army knife. There are other and better tools for the job, but sometimes the swiss army knife is more fun or versatile.

I think that the computer, when viewed as entertainment, puts kids AT RISK more than anything.

-But that is just my opinion.

NewGuy said:
Less jobs?

Economics is not all about jobs.

BUSINESSES still make up most of the wealth of the nation. In my scenario most operations would be small businesses.

-You would bring back an ethical and local economy as well as national.

In addition, you have shrinkage of the tax base and forced reduction of government.

Unlike what liberal economics would have you believe, the world DID exist economically before the movement from farms to cities.

Things change and economies change---if people only bought what they needed to survive, the only companies that would survive are the ones who produced those products. IMHO our economy only works because people buy things that they do not need. Hell--we even have to build things that will break to keep people spending.

NewGuy said:
I didn't think I understood you right. ;)

I don't own guns anyway, but I wanted to illustrate why I would be defensive in answering questions.

As far as the computers, we will take no more than 3 for business purposes although they are backup. They are a safety net for money. I don't believe kids need computers. I view computers as a tool, but like a swiss army knife. There are other and better tools for the job, but sometimes the swiss army knife is more fun or versatile.

I think that the computer, when viewed as entertainment, puts kids AT RISK more than anything.

-But that is just my opinion.

I agree with that, about kids and computers, but alot depends on the ages. Some of the software is great for the little ones and the older ones can use it for research. I use webquests alot in world history. The kids like it and it has that 'real, you are there' feel to it.

IM, chatting, boards, NO except for a kid like Semper Fi who is way different than most.

Kathianne said:
I agree with that, about kids and computers, but alot depends on the ages. Some of the software is great for the little ones and the older ones can use it for research. I use webquests alot in world history. The kids like it and it has that 'real, you are there' feel to it.

IM, chatting, boards, NO except for a kid like Semper Fi who is way different than most.

True.

freeandfun1 said:
Although all the products you mentioned are now made overseas, you have to remember that those are "old" products. They were designed here (and many are still designed here) but they are made there. Americans need to face the fact that our economy has moved onto a new level. A level where intelligence is more important than labour. It is just a fact of life.
Exactly, but unforunatly Americans have been dumbed down over the past 30-40 years, as you can see by the lack of replies to your comment.

Big D said:
Exactly, but unforunatly Americans have been dumbed down over the past 30-40 years, as you can see by the lack of replies to your comment.

I am not sure why so many Americans continue to ignore this fact.

I remember Gore saying in 1992 that he didn't care if we "manufactured potato chips or computer chips, we need jobs in America". When I heard that, I was thinking, it does matter! A person making potato chips on an assembly line isn't going to make near th $$ of somebody making computer chips......

Technology is where it's at and technology requires a little bit of brains.

Forum List

Back