Maddux announces retirement after 23-year career

Discussion in 'Sports' started by CrimsonWhite, Dec 8, 2008.

1. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I hate to see him go and as a Braves fan I would hate to see it, but I think Smoltz and Glavine should go with him.

2. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Tip of the cap. :clap2:

3. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    He has had a helluva career.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    Yes, Smoltz and Glavine definitely need to be joining him.

5. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Great pitcher...nothing but props to him. He had a hell of a career...

Even though it does bring me much joy to remember the victories of 1996 and 1999 for my pinstripes

who have now signed tha fuck sabathia to 7 years 160 mill....whata joke..to many years and too much money

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    LOL what a ridiculous contract. I'm just glad he's back out of the NL again.

7. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    yeah it's stupid...the guy has had 2 good years, 2001 and 2007 the rest wqere mediocre.

Last year he went 6-8 with the indians and had close to a 4 era and then went to the brewers and pitched well.
    A- it was a contract season everyone tries a bit harder
    B- It was the fucking NL Central...I can pitch well in that shit bag division.

I wanted CC but not at that price....Cashman should have told him to go fuck himself he wasnt getting anything closer to what the yanks originally offered.

I mean how the fuck don't you sign Santana if you are going to dish this money for CC???

Yanks are suppose to sign Derek lowe today or tomm also. Sabathia, Wang, Joba, Lowe, maybe Pettite

Prettyy solid rotation there

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    I agree with the distinction between Santana and Sabathia. I'd take Santana ANYDAY over Sabathia. I don't agree about the NL Central though. That's a tough enough division in and of itself. The Cards and Cubs aren't exactly slouches, especially the Cubs. I mean, they were the most prolific offensive team in the Majors.

It's the NL in general. The thinking is that you take a whole point off your ERA if you move to the NL from the AL. It doesn't always work that way, as Zito was a prime example of. But the NL is a lot easier to pitch against. Sabathia's NL stats are skewed. I'm not sure how you can weigh them against the AL, especially when considering a contract of that magnitude.

I guess agents are really just THAT GOOD at what they do. I'll be surprised if he gets 15 wins next season.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  9. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    Only NL pitcher I like is Peavy...all the big bats are in the AL. Majority of the big pitchers are in the AL as well.
    Best pitcher in the NL is Peavy probably.

Zito contract was a disaster, he is not even close to being worth what he gets paid. His biggest accomplishment is banging alyssa milano.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,404
    Zito is a surfer who happens to play baseball. Baseball will probably never be more important than surfing to him. He stayed in the bay area for that reason.

He has incredible stuff, but his heart just isn't in the game. He pitched well enough to receive enough money to live like a king for the rest of his life. Now he can surf forever and be completely happy. He probably couldn't care less how his baseball career turns out at this point. Surfing is a state of mind, baseball is just a job.

I don't agree about Peavy being the best, either. He's not better than Santana. I'm partial here, but I don't think he's better than Hamels either.