Maddow: Without unions 'Democrats do not have a way to compete'

oh brother...
what does that have to do with this thread, and where do Republicans "demonize" teachers?
that's dumb

Are you unconscious?

No one is demonizing teachers. The unions and the benefits are costing us too much because it's being abused by the teachers. The gravy train is coming to an end.

Teachers are underpaid compared to private sector workers with the same education.

That is just what I said, stated differently, you idiot. It's your employer who imposes the fee because your employer has decided to do collective bargaining with a union.

you said it was just the employer. You were wrong. Man up, dickstain.

How could Walker in Wisconsin end collective bargaining rights if it's the union that gets to make that call?

Are you unconscious?

No one is demonizing teachers. The unions and the benefits are costing us too much because it's being abused by the teachers. The gravy train is coming to an end.

Teachers are underpaid compared to private sector workers with the same education.

I'm talking about corruption. I'm talking about abuses of sick days and outrageous pensions and other corruption that costs the taxpayers. Corruption is the problem, not pay. Do you think taxpayers should pay for cosmetic plastic surgery for every teacher who desires it?

Last edited:
Rachael Maddow comment form the OP link...

“Unions are not democratic organizations, but unions’ work is beneficial to the Democratic Party. They are the only institution of any size on the liberal side of the equation. Corporate America, all of corporate America, is on the Republican side."
Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets
University of California $1,648,685
Goldman Sachs $1,013,091
Harvard University $878,164
Microsoft Corp $852,167
Google Inc $814,540
JPMorgan Chase & Co $808,799
Citigroup Inc $736,771
Time Warner $624,618
Sidley Austin LLP $600,298
Stanford University $595,716
National Amusements Inc $563,798
WilmerHale LLP $550,668
Columbia University $547,852
Skadden, Arps et al $543,539
UBS AG $532,674
IBM Corp $532,372
General Electric $529,855
US Government $513,308
Morgan Stanley $512,232
Latham & Watkins $503,295

Not to mention ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, and the print media NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, and a couple dozen others...

The ones who can't compete are the Republicans...They have the RNC, a few Radio stations and magazines and a blog or three.

You cannot be forced to join a union. You can be required to pay agency fees, but that is a requirement your employer imposes on you,

not the union.
That is a outright lie. If your a State worker, like a teacher, you have to join the Union and pay Union fees whether you want to or not. When Walker passed the law, Union dues were automatically deducted and people had to cut the check, Union membership dropped sharply.

Even in the private sector Union membership gets forced on you. My father-in-law got me a seasonal job as a rigger at McCormick Place. I did this work only for a week at time and wasn't getting benefits from it, yet I had a pay a large Union fee from every check. It was bullshit.

I remember back in highschool when I worked for Jewel (making minimum wage I might add), I had to pay union fees regardless of the fact they did NOTHING for me!

Union membership is hardly voluntary!

You cannot be forced to join a union. You can be required to pay agency fees, but that is a requirement your employer imposes on you,

not the union.

You have never heard of a closed shop?

Have you?

"A "closed shop" became illegal in the United States with the passage of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947."

Closed Shop

Wrong. There are right to work states where you are given a choice, and there are non-right to work states. I worked in Oregon and I was forced to join a union and that was in 1987. You're wrong.

Try to get a job in a union plant in IL. They cant make you join but if want a job you will, the harrasment would get overwhelming, and even if did'nt join you still have to pay dues. So it might as well be a closed shop. They wont let in non-union contractors as well.

That is just what I said, stated differently, you idiot. It's your employer who imposes the fee because your employer has decided to do collective bargaining with a union.

you said it was just the employer. You were wrong. Man up, dickstain.

How could Walker in Wisconsin end collective bargaining rights if it's the union that gets to make that call?

the union AND the employer negotiate the application of 'agency fees', dumb ass. Not one, not the other... together.

The 'agency fee' is different than the 'collective bargaining rights' you're trying to equate them to.

http://www.calstate.edu/laborrel/FAQAgencyFee.pdf
The phrase "Agency Fee" refers to the union's ability to collect money from employees to pay for things such as negotiating a contract and representing employees in grievances and arbitrations, and lobbying activities to foster collective bargaining negotiations or secure advocates.

Agency fees go to the unions to cover costs. Collective bargaining is one of the services unions provide for members and fee paying employees, in addition to the other things listed above.

Separate things, dumb ass.

Rachael Maddow comment form the OP link...

“Unions are not democratic organizations, but unions’ work is beneficial to the Democratic Party. They are the only institution of any size on the liberal side of the equation. Corporate America, all of corporate America, is on the Republican side."

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets
University of California $1,648,685
Goldman Sachs $1,013,091
Harvard University $878,164
Microsoft Corp $852,167
Google Inc $814,540
JPMorgan Chase & Co $808,799
Citigroup Inc $736,771
Time Warner $624,618
Sidley Austin LLP $600,298
Stanford University $595,716
National Amusements Inc $563,798
WilmerHale LLP $550,668
Columbia University $547,852
Skadden, Arps et al $543,539
UBS AG $532,674
IBM Corp $532,372
General Electric $529,855
US Government $513,308
Morgan Stanley $512,232
Latham & Watkins $503,295

Goldman Sachs: 58% of donations since 1990 cycle have gone to Republicans; 2/3rds of money this cycle to Republicans
JPMorgan Chase: donations since 1990 split between two parties; 2/3rds of money this cycle to Republicans
Citigroup: donations since 1990 split between two parties; 3/5ths of money this cycle to Republicans
UBS: 58% of donations since 1990 cycle have gone to Republicans; 2/3rds of money this cycle to Republicans
General Electric: donations since 1990 split between two parties; 3/5ths of money this cycle to Republicans

Taking the teeth out of unions is good for America... Like any lobby group too much power is not a good thing.

Now maybe democrats will get back to being friendly to capitalistic business interests that help all American's- allowing government its real role of effective regulating and protecting American's.

Too much power? Unions had very little power, and even that power is being chipped away. Then again, you don't really see that as a problem, because you go on to say later in your post, what's good for corporations is what's good for America.

Unions are a good thing. When people of their own free will, opt to join a union, pay dues and accept that management is going to align with one political party (Democrats), who can argue with that?

However, when you are forced to join a union, especially a public employee union (government), and have the government take a portion of your wages to give to the union who gives to The Democrat Party, that's a problem on two core fronts:

1) Employees have no say and/or choice
2) Ultimately, taxpayers are being forced to contribute to Unions and The Democrat Party in the case(s) where employee union membership is mandatory.

Between ACORN-derived organizations and Public Service Unions, Democrats get to tap into all US Taxpayers for money. The American People are getting wise to this and don't like it. SEE Wisconsin June 2012

1. No one in this country is forced to joined a union.
2. Even for people who are members of the union, they have to specifically mark the money for political use. Political contributions out of general funds is illegal.

Forum List

Back