Mad Men

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
mad-men-5.jpg

5 Seasons....and a 6th coming in March...

I'm amazed there is not an entire forum here regarding the series and its political -historical implications. If you haven't seen it seasons 1-4 can be reviewed relatively cheaply on Netflix. Season 5 is available on Blueray.

It's about advertising, started in the late 50's, early 60's I believe. New York, Madison Avenue.

I didn't get started on Mad Men until last year. That's usually the way I do things - ignore the series when it first comes out, let it run for five or six years, stop, and then I pick it up on reruns and watch every episode from start to finish. I did that with both Seinfeld and The Sopranos.

I have Netflix, Vudu and Huluplus. I was able to watch Seasons 1-4 on Netflix. That's where Netflix stops. Huluplus doesn't have Mad Men any more. I didn't check Vudu and ordered Season 5 on DVD from Amazon. 38 bucks or some such. OK - well and good. The day after I did that, a co-worker told me that Vudu does have Season 5. Of course, you have to pay for in on a per-episode basis, and it comes out to about the same price as the DVD's I ordered.

Anyway, I am waiting for Season 5 to arrive and will sop it all up as soon as it does.

I'm sure you all know that Robert Morse starred as J. Pierrepont Finch in "How to Succed in Business Without Really Trying" on Broadway when he was a very young man. "How to Succeed" opened on Broadway in 1961.

The producers of Mad Men love to leave viewers hanging as to when a new season will begin. That's what is happening this year. Of course, there will be a Season 6. Word is that it will commence "some time this spring," with the actual commencemnt date anticipated as being much closer to the early part of Sring than the later part.

Last edited:
Soaps for dopes. I find it incredible that the notoriously non-focused pop-culture can follow an adult serialized drama. It should be noted that each episode costs close to 3 million dollars to produce.

This is one of the things I like the most about MM - the way they constantly show how different the social mores were back in the 50's and early 60's. Everyone smokes up a storm. This plastic bag scene is CLASSIC. Did you catch the scene where the Draper family goes on a picnic in a lovely park and, when it's over, they just leave their trash lying there on the grass? They drink more booze than water. Women are treated as second class citizens except when it comes to sex.

Boy, how times have changed . . . .

This is one of the things I like the most about MM - the way they constantly show how different the social mores were back in the 50's and early 60's. Everyone smokes up a storm. This plastic bag scene is CLASSIC. Did you catch the scene where the Draper family goes on a picnic in a lovely park and, when it's over, they just leave their trash lying there on the grass? They drink more booze than water. Women are treated as second class citizens except when it comes to sex.

Boy, how times have changed . . . .

Exactly. Like when Joan's husband raped her on the office floor because he could.

You know, I'm tempted to just start the series over from season one, since I've missed so much.

Forum List

Back