mad men

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i had never watched it....saw a couple of shows ...decided to see what it was about....ordered season 1, 2, 3 from ebay. (that is one nice thing about being in the country, you learn to love ebay)

i began to watch it.....so one scene.....a couple of kids are playing.....girl about 8 has a dry cleaning bag wearing it over her head and down her body.... the mother calls the little girl over to her.....you see the little girl inhaling and the plastic bag forming over her mouth.....

mother says, 'there better not be a pile of dry cleaning on the floor' and tells her to go play......i was hooked....

the show is so anti pc.....it truly reflects all the things done in the 60's that we now realize are dangerous for ya

i have ordered season 4

I love this show, and love seeing pregnant women smoking and drinking and kids riding in cars without safety seats, and love that every season it progresses 2 years and tries to reflect the times it is supposed to be taking place in.

I love this show, and love seeing pregnant women smoking and drinking and kids riding in cars without safety seats, and love that every season it progresses 2 years and tries to reflect the times it is supposed to be taking place in.
My enjoyment of books, movies or television depends on my being transported away from the present time and place and Mad Men does that by accurately capturing the ethos of the fifties. The Mildred Pierce HBO Special also had the effect of recreating modern history, which is why old farts like me liked it but younger generation audiences didn't. Nothing about it is familiar to them.

The exception to my preference is historical fairy tales such as Game of Thrones, which is totally incredible fantasy. But credible historical drama, like Master and Commander, which is based on completely credible historical authenticity, are thoroughly enjoyable. I've seen that excellent movie several times and will watch it again.

Forum List

Back