MacIntosh

But when you just need a basic computer to do basic stuff and don't have a lot of money, you can get all that, perhaps without the stellar graphics you mention and with Windows 7 and all the problems inherent with that but which we are used to dealing with, for $500 to $600.

I would need a whole lot more computer than I currently need to spend $1700.

That is the point, it is a whole lot more computer, operating system and monitor than you will get for 600 dollars. I was quoting the price for a 27" monitor/computer, a work of utilitarian art and design...... they make less expensive models such as this one....you can get it for less if you know anyone in school with an I.D.

21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
1920 x 1080 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
500GB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB
Ships: Within 24hrs
Free Shipping
$1,199.00
financing available

My sister bought the 21" model last month after years of my brothers and I telling her she was being silly with that Windows thing she was using. It took her all of an hour before she was blown away at the difference in computing experience. She is now a Mac-head that is bugging everyone she knows. She just remodeled her home office and loves that the monitor and computer is a single unit without a bunch of wires going to a separate CPU.

I use a Windows based unit at my other job and I find it to be a very unsatisfying experience which I avoid at all cost. Cost is relative, I would rather have my computer than spend the money to go out to restaurants or movies...... I'll watch the movie eventually on my iMac with Netflix and I will prepare food I enjoy more myself and eat it in front of my computer.:cool:

And with the newer Macs you can run Windows if you really want to, I haven't met anyone yet that wanted to after experiencing OSX but just saying.....

For a choice between Linux and Mac I'd take Linux. It's free, the applications are free, you can run it on cheap PCs and it'll still be fast and while you can still get viruses and trojans the likelihood is almost non-existent especially if you set it up properly.

Will my Microsoft Office and Publisher run on Linux?

Libre Office does.

The problem is I have a HUGE amount of stuff stored in Office that I would not like to have to transfer to something else. It was tough enough transferring all my Word Perfect documents to Office several years ago.

Libre Office does.

The problem is I have a HUGE amount of stuff stored in Office that I would not like to have to transfer to something else. It was tough enough transferring all my Word Perfect documents to Office several years ago.

Carbonite, 59 dollars a year and it keeps almost everything in your computer stored off site. You can access it from any computer and transfer to your new computer when you change it out. You definitely need to back that up before you lose a hard drive, it will come with no warning and at the worst time possible.

Mac switched to a Unix foundation about 10 years ago, which was the smartest thing Apple has done barring the iPhone.
Macs almost never crash, it is quite possible to own one - and in it's whole life - it never crashes. This is the benefit of a Unix platform.
Macs are "cleaner". They control and allocate memory much more efficient than Windows..which is why a 2 GB Ram Mac is faster than a 4GB Ram PC.

The problem with Macs is the initial expense, and the design which is not very upgradeable.

In a nutshell - if you have the money - a Mac is a better choice on all accounts.
1) Safer
2) Longer hardware shelf life
3) Virtually never crash.
4) 1/50th (at least) the number of viruses and spyware.

Libre Office does.

Microsoft makes a version of Office for the Mac, so you will have no problems with your Office .doc or .docx .ppt or .pptx, etc. files. If you don't want to pay for a Mac version of Office you can use open source programs like NeoOffice or Open Office.

Libre Office does.

Carbonite, 59 dollars a year and it keeps almost everything in your computer stored off site. You can access it from any computer and transfer to your new computer when you change it out. You definitely need to back that up before you lose a hard drive, it will come with no warning and at the worst time possible.

I have it all backed up on CDs and an exterior hard drive but it's still formatted for Microsoft Office and Excel.

Mac switched to a Unix foundation about 10 years ago, which was the smartest thing Apple has done barring the iPhone.
Macs almost never crash, it is quite possible to own one - and in it's whole life - it never crashes. This is the benefit of a Unix platform.
Macs are "cleaner". They control and allocate memory much more efficient than Windows..which is why a 2 GB Ram Mac is faster than a 4GB Ram PC.

The problem with Macs is the initial expense, and the design which is not very upgradeable.

In a nutshell - if you have the money - a Mac is a better choice on all accounts.
1) Safer
2) Longer hardware shelf life
3) Virtually never crash.
4) 1/50th (at least) the number of viruses and spyware.
It depends on which Mac you get. iMacs are not very upgradable, but Power Macs and Mac Pros are easily upgraded.

Apple - Mac Pro - An easy-access interior makes expansion a snap.
Expansion made easy.

The easy-access interior of the Mac Pro feels like the well-organized workstation it is. No rat’s nest of components here. You don’t need to turn the system on its side or struggle to reach into awkward spaces to make changes. Just remove the side panel for instant access to everything. Slide out the processor tray to add memory. Slide out drive bays to add storage. Slide a simple bar to change up to four expansion cards at once. And with plenty of I/O ports both front and back, you’ll have room for all your external devices.

design_expansion_hero20100727.png

I have it all backed up on CDs and an exterior hard drive but it's still formatted for Microsoft Office and Excel.
The most you might have to do is copy your CDs using the ISO 9660 format which can be mounted by just about any system, Windows, Mac, Lynix, OS2, Unix, Playstation, whatever.

Libre will convert it to it's format.

Home » LibreOffice

As for trying out Linux Mint,

Main Page - Linux Mint

Libre Office or Open Office will open all Office documents, it will convert to it's format - or if you wish keep it in the office format.

And did I mention they are both free?

Hmmm. Okay. I'm running my Sony laptop on Vista and its giving me all kinds of problems lately. Linux huh? Wonder if I should try it?

Hmmm. Okay. I'm running my Sony laptop on Vista and its giving me all kinds of problems lately. Linux huh? Wonder if I should try it?

If you play PC games...remember games made for windows won't run on linux.
If you don't, then I will tell you - once you go Linux - you won't go back.
It is easy to pick it up, Ringel myself and others would be glad to help you get started/try it out.

Forum List

Back